F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #11  
Be sure to find out what your state classifies the F-550 as. In some states, one tons and above are commercial trucks and your registration gets more and more expensive the bigger the truck. Other states start the commercial rating at trucks over one ton, which is still going to be the 550.

Price out what your insurance will be. Again, commercial vehicles cost allot more money to insure.

Why do you need an F-550? What will it do that an F-350 wont do? Do you really need that extra towing capacity? Does the F-550 exceed 26,000 pounds GVW with a trailer? I don't know where Ford draws the line on 26,000 pounds, but if you are over that, then you will need a commercial license just to drive it. Some might be over, other models might be under. My F600 is under at 24,500 GVW, so no commercial license, but I've been told that some F600's with the right engine, transmission, axle and brake combinations will go up to 30,000 pounds.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #13  
Late to arrive here but the F-550 is a heck of a truck but the F-350 would do all you need, even a SRW. Either way, I would love to have a 550 so if you can justify it go for it.

Like others said check into the licensing thing and insurance.

Chris

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #14  
I was surfing the Peterbilt and Kenworth sites tonight and they had a tab for "Paccar Engines." This piqued my curiosity and I noticed they are offering two inline 6's in the USA. One is a 6.7l and the other is a 8.3l. What I found interesting when I read the owner's manual for the 6.7l engine it had Cummins listed in a few illustrations. Is this the same 6.7l Cummins Dodge now offers; but rebadged with the Paccar label? They offer numerous horsepower and torque options. http://www.peterbilt.com/pdf/PX6FullSpecs.pdf

I also noticed on Paccar's web site that they offer larger Paccar engines in Europe.

If this is the same engine as the Dodge, wouldn't it be something if Ford were able to work out a deal to install Paccar/Cummmins motors in their pickups.

Peterbilt - Engines

I live within 10 miles of the Peterbilt factory and I guess you know that Peterbilt is now owned by Paccar.

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #15  
One of my brothers has a 2008 F550 crewcab, long wheelbase, 4.88 differential and loves it. Plenty of power for pulling a load. He and his wife spend the winters in Texas and summers in Washington state. He was a little concerned about the diesel fuel getting into the crankcase, but even my Ford dealer's service manager says all the 6.4L diesels do it; just some more than others. And yes, fuel mileage is not very good, especially if you're pulling a load as you can see my brother pulls. However, they recently had some program (they didn't call it a "recall", but something else) where they re-programmed the computer and it's supposed to help with the mileage and fuel in the oil problems without hurting the power.

Of course my brother (and some others I've spoken to) say you want to be sure and keep an extended warranty in effect because if they ever have to work on that engine, they have to lift the entire cab off the frame to start with, and while that's relatively simple on most of them, it's also expensive.

Attachments

• Joe's Rig 1.JPG
    Joe's Rig 1.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 436
  • Joe's Truck 2.JPG
    Joe's Truck 2.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 1,245
   / F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #16  
mjncad & jcmseven the small Paccar motors are Cummins and the larger bores are DAF motors which Paccar also owns. Ford owns or did own Cummins but bought it after the deals were in place for IH motors in Fords and Cummins in the Dodges. Gary

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #17  
Here's another forum that's pretty impartial as it represents all brands, I did a lot of reading there when I was specing my new work truck.