50 cal gun

/ 50 cal gun #21  
:eek:

You've got to explain this in detail a little bit further! You lost me. I just want to make sure I get what you're saying. Are you saying that AK's in vietnam would fire both US/NATO 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm ammo?

Podunk

Yes.
I carried a 18'' shot gun with #4 buck and a ak47.
I would take their ammo when needed in a fire fight.

Yes our ammo would feed an ar15 ..and an ak 47
their ammo would not feed thru our 15's.

/ 50 cal gun #22  
:eek:

You may have been there, but I'm going to tell you that you are sadly mistaken sir! Thanks for your service, but you got your wires crossed somewhere. AK's in Vietnam wouldn't fire NATO rounds or US 5.56x45mm rounds...much less be able to fire both, even if they were chambered for one or the other.

Podunk

Wasn't it the later AK used in Afganistan by the Soviets that used a 5.45x39 round in the AK74? It was smaller in case than the US/NATO 5.56x45 round.

Used to be rumors it would fire in a captured M16, but there is no way a cartride 6mm shorter is going to chamber and fire; 6mm=~1/4".

/ 50 cal gun #23  
Yes our ammo would feed an ar15 ..and an ak 47
their ammo would not feed thru our 15's.

The M16 uses a 5.56(0.224) bullet.
The AK47 M43 uses a 7.62(0.311) bullet
The M60/M1A uses 7.62(0.308) bullet.

None of those three will interchange. The 5.56x45 NATO is smaller in bullet diameter, and case diameter than 7.62x39 Russian. It is also longer(45mm vs 39mm, or about 1/4".

The 7.62x39 Russian will not interchange with a 7.62x51 NATO. The Russian round is not the same diameter, even though both are "7.62". The Russian round mic's out at 0.311", as compared to 0.308" for the NATO/Winchester round. The NATO round is also 11mm longer.

I have all three sitting on my reloading bench at home. They are three totally, completely different animals.

There is an AK-101 made for export that used the 5.56NATO round exclusively. But, that is pretty recent(1994).

I would be very interested to find out more details about the cartridges that you swapped in different weapons, and the weapons themselves, though.

/ 50 cal gun #24  
Some times I think faster than I can type.
The AK will fire our M14 rounds.

/ 50 cal gun #25  
I'm glad you chimed in Robert. I didn't want the friction from telling anyone that they needed to lay off the krakpipe:eek:

While I respect his service to the country to the utmost, he just got his wires crossed somewhere. It's cool. :eek:

Podunk
That my Friende was not called for.
I,ve been thru thu the ****.

/ 50 cal gun #26  
I'm glad you chimed in Robert. I didn't want the friction from telling anyone that they needed to lay off the krakpipe:eek:

While I respect his service to the country to the utmost, he just got his wires crossed somewhere. It's cool. :eek:

Podunk

P/M Sent

/ 50 cal gun #28  
Sign up for it right here: Barrett Rifles The M107 is the same thing as the civillian 82A1, only it has spikes on its bipod feet and fancier takedown pins.

I agree that the bit was a little sketchy on some facts, but interesting nonetheless.

Here is exactly what a Barrett M107 looks like. This is when it still had the new tags on it along with it's new scope.

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 4,872
  • 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 725
  • 171.jpg
    171.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 2,468
   / 50 cal gun #29  
Here is exactly what a Barrett M107 looks like.
Ya. Notice the bipod feet have little spikes. You can't see the two fancy push button take down pins. And I forgot, the M107 gets the little rear elevation post.

*edit* I take that back. In your pictures, you can see one of the fancy push button takedown pins. It is the bipod pivot pin.

For some reason, the civilian 82A1 has flat bipod feet, cheap spring detent takedown pins, and no rear post. No idea why they made this stuff different. You can buy it all from Barrett to effectively turn your 82A1 into an M107.

/ 50 cal gun #30  
Ya. Notice the bipod feet have little spikes. You can't see the two fancy push button take down pins. And I forgot, the M107 gets the little rear elevation post.

*edit* I take that back. In your pictures, you can see one of the fancy push button takedown pins. It is the bipod pivot pin.

For some reason, the civilian 82A1 has flat bipod feet, cheap spring detent takedown pins, and no rear post. No idea why they made this stuff different. You can buy it all from Barrett to effectively turn your 82A1 into an M107.

A good friend of mine, who is also into some long range shooting, tells me that his new Barrett 99 in .416 will easily out shoot my M107 at 1500 yards on out. Someday we'll go try them out. I can set up targets out to about 2200 yards on my property. Supposedly both can make a reasonable "kill" past that distance. I haven't tried it, but I'd have to assume that this shooter can't afford the optics it would take to make such a shot even if the rifle could do so. He spent almost as much on his optic system as he did on his rifle! :eek: