50 cal gun

/ 50 cal gun #31  
He spent almost as much on his optic system as he did on his rifle!
Have you seen this little BORS gadget? It's about $1500, plus another $1800 for a high power Leupold or Nightforce scope. With this combo, you apparently just dial in your range and put your target in the crosshairs. Someday (not soon) I will have one.

bors.gif

/ 50 cal gun #32  
I was able to get a "scratch & dent" M99 direct from Barrett to my dealer. Put a factory rcommended Leupold on it and its 30% of the cost of the rifle.

/ 50 cal gun #33  
The M16 uses a 5.56(0.224) bullet.
The AK47 M43 uses a 7.62(0.311) bullet
The M60/M1A uses 7.62(0.308) bullet.

None of those three will interchange. The 5.56x45 NATO is smaller in bullet diameter, and case diameter than 7.62x39 Russian. It is also longer(45mm vs 39mm, or about 1/4".

The 7.62x39 Russian will not interchange with a 7.62x51 NATO. The Russian round is not the same diameter, even though both are "7.62". The Russian round mic's out at 0.311", as compared to 0.308" for the NATO/Winchester round. The NATO round is also 11mm longer.

I have all three sitting on my reloading bench at home. They are three totally, completely different animals.

Well, I'd suggest before you go making that statement...

The AK will fire our M14 rounds.

You try it.

I haven't, and perhaps I'm wrong (as usual), but let me know how it shoots. Nessesity is the mother of invention.

You learn something new everyday.

The .50 BMG is a GREAT round. However, usually the rifles shooting that particular round is big and heavy (cuts way down on your guns safe space:D).

I'm going to haphazzard a guess from that it may take more skill to shoot with iron sights at 600-1000 meters with a smaller caliber rifle (which most are) than a .50 BMG with a "huge" scope:confused:

Kentucky windage my good man! (a big, heavy fast bullet never hurts mind you, unless you're on the recieving end).

But then again, heck, the bigger the gun and scope, you MUST be a good marksman!

Aw shucks, anyway you cut it, the video is cool.

Last edited:
   / 50 cal gun #35  
   / 50 cal gun #36  
The M16 uses a 5.56(0.224) bullet.
The AK47 M43 uses a 7.62(0.311) bullet
The M60/M1A uses 7.62(0.308) bullet.

None of those three will interchange. The 5.56x45 NATO is smaller in bullet diameter, and case diameter than 7.62x39 Russian. It is also longer(45mm vs 39mm, or about 1/4".

The 7.62x39 Russian will not interchange with a 7.62x51 NATO. The Russian round is not the same diameter, even though both are "7.62". The Russian round mic's out at 0.311", as compared to 0.308" for the NATO/Winchester round. The NATO round is also 11mm longer.

I have all three sitting on my reloading bench at home. They are three totally, completely different animals.

There is an AK-101 made for export that used the 5.56NATO round exclusively. But, that is pretty recent(1994).

I would be very interested to find out more details about the cartridges that you swapped in different weapons, and the weapons themselves, though.

I will have to agree with everything you said and also disagree. I to have all three in my reloading room and all three are different bullet diameters(I'll get to that), different cartridge lengths meant for different weapons. However, the AK47 and it's variants will fire .308 inch diameter bullets in many cases. It really depends on the exact barrel/chamber dimensions. The standard 7.62x39 (M43) barrel is .311 inch, but a number of .308 inch rifle barrels have been made for use with .308 inch bullets. Some chambers throats are designed to handle .311 or .308 inch bullets.

A prime example of it is to look at a Hornady reloading manual. They list loads for using both their .308 and their .310 inch bullets. Sierra list all of their 7.62x39 loads using .308 bullets. Speer on the other hand list and makes only a .311 inch bullet. The Hornady manual list loads for using .308, .310 and .311 inch bullets.

I'll quote from the Metallic Cartridge Reloading book by M. L. McPherson.

"Proper bullet diameter is closer to 0.311" than to 0.308". Nevertheless, useful loads can often be concocted using standard 0.308" bullets. Some early domestic commercial chamberings featured standard 0.308" bores, and one should slug the barrel before assuming 0.311" bullets will work properly. Generally, throat diameter in such chambers will accommodate larger bullets without creating an unsafe condition, but accuracy can be dismal. If in doubt, make a proper chamber cast and ensure your loads have sufficient case-neck-to-throat clearance (minimum of 0.002") to allow the case to properly release the bullet. If this is not the situation use only 0.308" bullets."

Now, having said that they are still completely different cartridges no matter what bullet you load into your 7.62x39 cartridge case.

/ 50 cal gun #37  
Yes.
I carried a 18'' shot gun with #4 buck and a ak47.
I would take their ammo when needed in a fire fight.

Yes our ammo would feed an ar15 ..and an ak 47
their ammo would not feed thru our 15's.

I hate to have to disagree with you Double O but as has already been mentioned they are different. You were not by chance carrying a AR10 and not a AR15 were you? The AR10 uses a 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge where the AR15 uses the 5.56x45mm M193 cartridge. Even still the AR10 would not shoot a cartridge designed for a AK47, it's just to short. Some have mentioned the AK74 but it also is a whole different cartridge in itself, a 5.45x39mm M74 which is basically a necked down AK47 cartridge. The AK74's were not seen in Russia until November 1977 in the Red Square parade.

/ 50 cal gun #38  
I will have to agree with everything you said and also disagree. I to have all three in my reloading room and all three are different bullet diameters(I'll get to that), different cartridge lengths meant for different weapons. However, the AK47 and it's variants will fire .308 inch diameter bullets in many cases.

A 0.308 bullet should go down and AK47 barrel. I would not want to push a 0.311 bullet down my 308Win or 7.62NATO barrel. I'm guessing it would go, but I fear pressures would be really high.

I have read tidbits about this re: reloading for a Ruger Mini-30.

If you get military ammo right out of an ammo pack though, non are interchangeable :D

/ 50 cal gun #39  
   / 50 cal gun #40  
A 0.308 bullet should go down and AK47 barrel. I would not want to push a 0.311 bullet down my 308Win or 7.62NATO barrel. I'm guessing it would go, but I fear pressures would be really high.

I wouldn't want to either. :) The AK/SKS family are a breed all their own when it comes to what they will eat. That's why unless you know for certain the chamber dimensions it is always suggested to take a casting of the chamber to determine what it will handle safely. There have been so many variations from .308 to .311 over the years it's better to be safe than sorry. I even have a Yugo SKS that has a .312 chamber that was like that new out of the box. Needless to say it get's only .311 loaded ammo.