Need a new Jack

/ Need a new Jack #1  

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere 3720 CAB/TLB, JD455
My 15 year old POS jack is leaking...I want a NEW GOOD 3 ton minimum capacity jack.

Suggestion? Brands?

Last edited:
   / Need a new Jack #2  
It's probably gonna be a china jack for $12.00.

Anything U.S. made would be expensive, but worth it if needed everyday, if used couple times a year, import would be fine.

Is it a bottle jack or a rolling floor jack?

I always got by with a couple of hand me down 2 ton bottle jacks,

Bought a cheap 2 ton floor jack, also a new bottle jack I think it's 6 ton import. Some one gave me a large old floor jack, it's about 5 feet long but it will lift anything I've tried so far, I think it was for buses.

JB.

/ Need a new Jack
Thank JB...
I should have clarified: I want a floor jack, NOT a bottle jack.

A friend on another site just recommended the Arcan XL35 from Northern Tools for $150 + $67 shipping, or it seems Cosco sells them for $100 but I need to find a friend with a membership there...

It has great reviews and specs...and it's made in the USA:eek:

/ Need a new Jack #4  
Yeah that one looks decent, not the 6 ton rating you mentioned, a 6 ton floor jack would get pretty pricey.

I like the wide front wheels, I wish they made the rears as big, would help prevent sinking in the pavement.

JB.

/ Need a new Jack
not the 6 ton rating you mentioned, a 6 ton floor jack would get pretty pricey.

Whoops... I meant 3-ton, I was thinking 6000lbs..then typed 6 ton

I will edit post.

/ Need a new Jack #6  
Are you sure you can get a 6 ton floor jack for that price? I can see 6,000# or 3 ton. I got a jack 10 years ago at Sams Club for $59 after my Napa $300 jack went to bed. Napa wanted something like $50 for the rebuild kit. I chose to cut ties since it was only 2 tons, 4,000#, and did not have enough lift height for my 4x4 F-350 I had. Always had to use a block of 4x4 to get the lift needed which I felt was not safe.

The $59 jack has a two stage pump that with the first pump shoots up to the load, then it goes as normal. Very nice feature. Anyway its a 3.5 ton 7,000# unit and gets used 3-4 times a week and never done a single thing to it, not even add hydro fluid. I wish I had another. Anyway for $59 buck I will use it until it dies then scrap it. Probably worth $30 bucks as heavy as it is.

As for a bottle jack I got one at HF that is 6 tons for $15 bucks. Got it 8 years ago and not a single problem but has only been used maybe 40 times. Came with a case and lives in my truck after I broke the jack to my F-350 trying to lift a trailer with a flat on the side of the highway.

Chris

/ Need a new Jack #7  
Kenny,
I'm sure if you can get that American made floor jack at Costco it will be a pretty good one.
If not, I recently bought a 3 ton at Harbor Freight on sale for like $79 bucks but is regulary over 100 bucks. (Mine was not shown in the link below, it's better than the 3 ton shown). They have larger ones up to 25 ton. It is actually very decent (they have several models). It's better than the other one I have which is about 15 years old now. It lets down very smoothly and pumps up no problem. I always use heavy wood blocks to put under the vehicle or tractor anyway, once I have it pumped up to the height I want.
You might take a look at one?
Harbor Freight Jacks
Especially if you can print out this 20% coupon...
20% Discount Coupon Good to May 31st
Rob-

/ Need a new Jack #8  
kennyd,

I can speak to the Arcan model LL-35 I got from costco. It is a 7000 lb model and is full size like the tire stores use. It seems well built and will lift the front of my diesel ford. I also have a couple of smaller floor jacks that won't lift the PU up. One of the small ones is a sears 3 ton floor jack and it won't lift it.

I have had it for 5 years or so and no problems as a home owner jack. I did get the idea from a local tire store that were useing them in hard daily use.

I think the last time I was in costco I may have seen them in stock but it seems to vary with costco. For me the little floor jacks even with the ratings won't cut it but this one does. Also it fits under my Honda cars. I forgot the price but I am sure was under $100 and I would buy it again.

/ Need a new Jack #9  
My 15 year old POS jack is leaking...I want a NEW GOOD 3 ton minimum capacity jack.

Suggestion? Brands?

I'll keep a eye out at the local auctions. With the downturn in the economy there have been a lot of businesses going under lately. Personally I have been making out like a bandit at the auctions. Stuff is going cheaper than I have ever seen it. I just picked up a nice Gray heavy truck front end lift 2 weeks ago in Northern Baltimore for $420. That price payed for the adapters it came with and I got a free 10 Ton end lift. It's a buyers market that's for sure. If I run across any nice 3 Ton + jacks in the near future I will drop you a PM and let you know. I usually preview most auctions I go to a couple of day's before auction day so it won't be last minute.

Would you be interested in a long service jack in the 3 to 5 Ton range? I often see those at garage auctions.

/ Need a new Jack #10  
Kennyd, I ended up getting a quick lift jack from Sears and hate the darn thing. I found out quick lift means you have to supply more force yourself. I'm not a big man, maybe 130# soaking wet. I've had to use a 5' breaker bar to jack up the tractor. I have an old one from Sams Club that I'm looking to get rebuilt. That was nice jack, but I'm guessing the seals are worn.

Wedge