stale diesel

/ stale diesel #1  

garydc

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti ck20
Gas seem's to go stale in about 3 month's nowadays, does anyone know how long before diesel goes stale if it does. I just have a 45 gal barrel for my tractor and I use it fairly quick, when I used to have a truck I had a 1000 gal tank in the ground but that would last only about 1 1/2 week so long term sitting of my diesel fuel was never an issue, but I was thinking about a 250 or 500 gal tank and filling when the price was semi reasonable and saving a little cash over the season, but wondered how long it last's if it sits for awhile say I filled in September and had a half a tank or so left come spring? Gary

/ stale diesel #2  
I have a 300 gallon diesel tank. I fill it about once per year. I add Power Service and a Biocide when I fill it. I run a 2 micron filter at the pump. I have been doing this for 25 years with no problems. I do not get bio diesel. That may be different. I'm on my 2nd tank, the first one lasted about 20 years.

/ stale diesel #3  
If you can get real regular gas it will last longer. We bring in about 450 gallons every fall to last a year, no problems with it, I do add some seafoam and isoheat to get it though the winter.

The Diesel tank I bring in enough #1 in the fall to get a 60/40 mix or better. I also add PS white bottle. I've got about 100 gal of winter diesel left, I just ordered in 120 gal to top off the house with PS in it, I'll add 130 gal to my tractor tank with white bottle PS.

I use a water separator filters with a clear bowls on both tanks, have never had water problems or fuel problems at all.

/ stale diesel #4  
1* does anyone know how long before diesel goes stale if it does.
2*I just have a 45 gal barrel for my tractor and I use it fairly quick,
3*when I used to have a truck I had a 1000 gal tank in the ground but that would last only about 1 1/2 week.
4*I was thinking about a 250 or 500 gal tank and filling when the price was semi reasonable and saving a little cash over the season, but wondered how long it last's if it sits for awhile say I filled in September and had a half a tank or so left come spring? Gary
1* My fuel man said the 60 gallon I got back in june should last 1 year to a year and a half.
2*What length of time is fairly quick?
3*---------
4*Don't think you would have a problem if under 12 to 18 months.

/ stale diesel #6  
[FONT=Frutiger SCIN Bd v.1]1*Tank 1 - The Diesel tank I get enough #1 in the fall to get a 60/40 mix or better. [/FONT]
[FONT=Frutiger SCIN Bd v.1]2*Tank 2 I just ordered in 120 gal to top off the house tank.[/FONT]
[FONT=Frutiger SCIN Bd v.1]3*I use a water separator filters with a clear bowls on both tanks.[/FONT]
1*Tank 1 60 % of what ?
40 % of what?
You're not talking 60% kerosene and 40% diesel I hope!
2* 120 gallon of what?
3*Do you use the same fuel in both tanks.
I would use the red stuff in both tanks.

Last edited:
   / stale diesel #7  
How did you get 300 gallon to last you for 20 years with out going bad?
Uh, I believe the tank lasted 20 years, not the fuel, since he fills it once per year.

/ stale diesel
Originally Posted by LBrown59
(2*What length of time is fairly quick?)

In the late spring, summer, and early fall my 45 gal's. last's 2-3 weeks. IN the winter month's it last longer.

(1* My fuel man said the 60 gallon I got back in june should last 1 year to a year and a half.)

I should be good with a bigger tank then even if I get it filled in the fall.
Thank's everyone, Gary.