stale diesel

/ stale diesel #11  
Thumper & Buttercup said:

[FONT=Frutiger SCIN Bd v.1]1* Diesel tank I [/FONT]
[FONT=Frutiger SCIN Bd v.1]2*house tank 2.[/FONT]
lbrown59 said:
*Do you use the same fuel in both tanks.
I would use the red stuff in both tanks.

Last edited:
   / stale diesel #12  
I just have a 45 gal barrel for my tractor and I use it fairly quick.
1*I was thinking about a 250 or 500 gal tank and filling when the price was semi reasonable and saving a little cash over the season, but wondered how long it last's if it sits for awhile say I filled in September and had a half a tank or so left come spring? Gary

Originally Posted by LBrown59
(2*What length of time is fairly quick?)

2*In the late spring, summer, and early fall my 45 gal's. last's 2-3 weeks. IN the winter month's it last longer.

(1* My fuel man said the 60 gallon I got back in june should last 1 year to a year and a half.)

3*I should be good with a bigger tank then even if I get it filled in the fall.
Thank's everyone, Gary.
1*looks like 250 gallon would last you about 4 months.
or 500 gallon around 8 months.
2*That's pretty close to 60 gallons a month .
3*Should be easy for you to use up a larger tank before it goes stale on you!

/ stale diesel
I was sure I was allright for the summer months just wasn't sure how it would last over the winter if I had a tankful delivered in the fall, as I don't do much during the winter with the tractor except blow the snow in my own driveway and may not get the tank used up till summer started again, but from the sounds of it diesel lasts a long time still. Gary

/ stale diesel #14  
Gas seems to go stale in about 3 month's nowadays, does anyone know how long before diesel goes stale if it does. I just have a 45 gal barrel for my tractor and I use it fairly quick, when I used to have a truck I had a 1000 gal tank in the ground but that would last only about 1 1/2 week so long term sitting of my diesel fuel was never an issue, but I was thinking about a 250 or 500 gal tank and filling when the price was semi reasonable and saving a little cash over the season, but wondered how long it lasts if it sits for awhile say I filled in September and had a half a tank or so left come spring? Gary

Well, its not like you leave the same diesel in the same tank for over a year where algae would have a chance to grow. I am sure as long you treat it and use the tankful within a year and use the tank alot , there would be little or no chance for diesel to go bad from algae . For the fuel to go stale would be the last thing for me to be concerned about.

/ stale diesel #15  
My old Kubota sat around almost 10 years and was just wasting away so I decided to see if I could start it up and sell it as it still worked well but was old.

I towed it out of seat high weeds, put in new batteries and filled up the flat tires turned the key and she started right up on the first crank.

Because she fired right up I figured she deserved a reprieve so I kept her.

The diesel that was in the tank was the 10 year old diesel.

Same thing with a 3.5 yard loader, it sat for years and would always fire right up with the same 50 gallons of fuel in the tank.

/ stale diesel #16  

With this dual drum set up I am never mixing old fuel in with the new fuel.
Well, its not like you leave the same diesel in the same tank for over a year where algae would have a chance to grow. I am sure as long you treat it and use the tankful within a year and use the tank alot , there would be little or no chance for diesel to go bad from algae . For the fuel to go stale would be the last thing for me to be concerned about.

/ stale diesel #17  
Hey LBrown59,

My 60/40 is 60% #1 and 40%#2, now I reverse my mix for the summer. I usually like to run my tank down more but I'm getting a great price on the fuel so I'm filling up the house and adding 130+ gallons for the tractors.

/ stale diesel #18  
A chemist friend of mine tells me that diesel does not have a shelf life... unless contaminated, it will stay there as long as you wish...

/ stale diesel #19  
A chemist friend of mine tells me that diesel does not have a shelf life... unless contaminated, it will stay there as long as you wish...
Yeah. Kept in the dark and dry...at least 30yrs. Even with some condensation a fuel treatment will bring it back.
larry