Pintle Hitch on Tractor

/ Pintle Hitch on Tractor #21  
Take the ball off and drill a hole in the top of the green hammer-strap thing then just drop a pin down from the top, you'd have a clevis draw bar perfect for that pintle ring. fast and easy to couple/uncouple compared to unbolting.

There was just a thread recently about the clevis option for draw bar and I thought about your application. see reply #7 and #14.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/139835-clevis-question-2.html?

As far as FWJ's idea with the swinging hammer-strap, it wouldn't require the pin to be anything special, just would want the hammer-strap to extend rearward of the back retaining bolt a little further than it shows in Jinman's pic, the front hole would have the pin and just prevent the strap from moving side to side. basically a home made pintle/ball combo.

JB.

Last edited:
   / Pintle Hitch on Tractor #22  
If the pintle ring on the chipper will swivel, you don't have to worry about the chipper axle being misaligned with the tractor axle. Like when you go in a hole or over a rock. You need either slop in the connection, which you said you don't want, or some way to let the ring rotate a little. Hook type pintle hitches are cut away to allow some swing. If your land is flat, not a problem.
Jim

/ Pintle Hitch on Tractor #23  
David, I recently was shopping for trailer balls at TSC and they had 2-5/16" balls with two different heights (neck lengths). Both were rated at 25,000 lb. The long one was similar to a ball I have seen on a commercially available pintle-or-ball hitch. That prompted me to look at my swinging drawbar on my tractor to see if I could do something similar. The illustration below is what I came up with.

My drawbar has two small 1/2" holes in it. I could make the green piece shown in the illustration below and bolt it to my drawbar when I want to use a pintle hitch. I can just unbolt one pin, turn the adapter to the side and it will be out of the way for use as a standard ball hitch.

What do you think?

Jim,

Nice job on the illustration. I'm not that computer smart but I have to ask you what program or software did you use to make the illustration if you don't mind saying?

Curt.

/ Pintle Hitch on Tractor #24  
David, I recently was shopping for trailer balls at TSC and they had 2-5/16" balls with two different heights (neck lengths). Both were rated at 25,000 lb. The long one was similar to a ball I have seen on a commercially available pintle-or-ball hitch. That prompted me to look at my swinging drawbar on my tractor to see if I could do something similar. The illustration below is what I came up with.

My drawbar has two small 1/2" holes in it. I could make the green piece shown in the illustration below and bolt it to my drawbar when I want to use a pintle hitch. I can just unbolt one pin, turn the adapter to the side and it will be out of the way for use as a standard ball hitch.

What do you think?
Seeing as you have the two holes in the draw bar, that's your best fit. It will allow for a lot of twist. As I have twisted a couple of trailer frames, using a ball. You can't beat a 360 deg. swiveling pintal hook, especilly if what your towing could flip your tractor over, if it tips over.
Dave

/ Pintle Hitch on Tractor #25  
That is perfect. I can make the green piece at work. My draw bar is made the same way and should really be simple to build once I take some measurements. Also like FWJ locking pin idea but that would require a snug fit with the pin which should not be a problem.

Thanks for the nice comments.:) I have an alternate drawing for anyone who cannot bend the green piece to the proper shape. It's not going to be as strong, but it would be a lot simpler to make with a block and a piece of flat metal. You could even drill a hole in the flat piece so it sits slightly down over the ball. That would give it a bit more strength side-to-side.

Here's my illustration.

EDIT: I also love JB4310's suggestion. His idea is not as fast a changeout, but it is surely stonger and very secure. There's always more ways to skin a cat. . . . :)

Attachments

• PintleBall-Alt.jpg
    PintleBall-Alt.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
   / Pintle Hitch on Tractor #26  
Nice job on the illustration. I'm not that computer smart but I have to ask you what program or software did you use to make the illustration if you don't mind saying?

Curt.

Curt, you really are too generous.:eek: But, thanks for the nice comment.

The drawing tools I use are those found within PowerPoint. I have learned many drawing and illustration packages in the past, but found the PP tools to be handy and sufficient for almost any task. They are actually scaleable vector drawings, and often used in my multimedia training lessons I've developed over the years. I've drawn everthing from complex electrical diagrams to hydraulic diagrams and more. All the components of this illustration are simple filled boxes and circles. I've broken the parts apart and put them into the attached illustration. I guess if I have any talent, it's knowing how to take simple figures and splice them all together with color and layers to make the impression I want people to see. This drawing only took me about 5 minutes to draw and a total time of 10 minutes to save and post on TBN. I would hate for anyone to think that I spent a lot of time with this. It ain't a CAD drawing, but it does illustrate a concept.

Attachments

• PintleBall-parts.jpg
    PintleBall-parts.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 170
   / Pintle Hitch on Tractor #27  
I've got a (roughly) 100 horse 15 inch drum chipper (powered by a 330 c.i. V8 Ford). I've been towing it around the property with my Kubota B2910 (the chipper probably weighs as much as the tractor). I just drop it over the ball on my drawbar. No clevis or pintle. It has yet to even hint at coming off... Ideally with my new tractor I will set up something better, but for now it has been working fine. There is so much tongue weight there that it just doesn't come off...

/ Pintle Hitch on Tractor #28  
Kennyd. Thanks for the pitcher. It's welder time. I got to build me one of those. I also have to put a reciver hitch on my draw bar, as I made a loging arch, for the larger timber that I have to drag out of the bush, that I can't lift with the three point. I almost rolled the arch a couple times, [my back yard is really bumpy and hilly] I need to put my pintle hook on the draw bar.[it rotates 360] I was thinking of bolting a three inch piece of channel iron, facing down [u side down] to the draw bar, a second piece welded face down to the first, [ this would acommodate the nuts that hold the first piece on] weld the reciver to the back of the second piece of channel iron. Any ideas??? Thanks Dave

/ Pintle Hitch on Tractor #30  
On my old 135, I welded a 2" receiver onto the drawbar, forward enough so the hole was still useable for clevis and so forth. The pintle hitch or trailer ball was an easy swap, and I don't remember any interference. I wouldn't like to have a ring just sitting over a ball though, imagining a 3000# chipper steering its unattended course down some of my hills.
Jim