Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #61  
New here. I say grab it if they'll take yer offer. I'd love to find one like that.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?
Well - still no call back from the family... but - did JUST hear from my father-in-law who talked to the "guy" who is helping the family sell the stuff... The second hand story does not sound promising... Sounds like they think it's worth more than me or any of the dealers I have talked to think its worth... So - the jury is still out, but I got a glimpse of the foreman and it does not look good...
Given that two days have passed after the offer where I was told - "I'll get right back to you" - I'm about 24 hours from taking the cash and moving it back into the Ameritrade account... a little frustrated - not that it looks like the deal isn't going to happen - mainly because a simple call back would be appreciated - even to say "we are still considering the offer".
I'll continue to update here until I get called - or - I give up ;)

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #63  
Well - still no call back from the family... but - did JUST hear from my father-in-law who talked to the "guy" who is helping the family sell the stuff... The second hand story does not sound promising... Sounds like they think it's worth more than me or any of the dealers I have talked to think its worth... So - the jury is still out, but I got a glimpse of the foreman and it does not look good...
Given that two days have passed after the offer where I was told - "I'll get right back to you" - I'm about 24 hours from taking the cash and moving it back into the Ameritrade account... a little frustrated - not that it looks like the deal isn't going to happen - mainly because a simple call back would be appreciated - even to say "we are still considering the offer".
I'll continue to update here until I get called - or - I give up ;)

I bet with the tractor sitting that long, they're in no hurry. Only you are.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #64  
Fishpick,

I hope you get your tractor for what you want to pay for it. Here's what I might do if I were you. Wait one more day and then call in and ask what is going on- you had hoped to hear back from them by now. Then say- (If they tell you your offer is too low- or whatever...) Would you tell me what it would take to make the deal work for you?
Have them kick you a number and then you have your counter and can decide from there.
They may think it is worth more than anyone has stated to date- but that is their problem- you could ask if they really want to sell it or are they just looking to find out what its worth on the open market. Unlike you they may not have considered that the 0% deals make new much more enticing for most people than ponying up a bunch of cash that is in short supply these days, for a USED tractor with NO warranty. And it is 10 years old, even though the hours are as low as they come, therefore it is a USED tractor in anyone's book.

Good luck !

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #65  
I agree.. they may be remembering the initial price paid and thinking they can get 95% back.. when in reality.. t's still a 10yr old tractor out of warranty, and it took a huge value hit as soon as they bought it, when you compair price to equity.. ie depreciation..

soundguy

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #66  
I was in same situation about 12 years ago. I needed another plow truck. There was a 1990 F-350 SRW 4x4 sitting next to a road for sale. I made an appointment to have it looked over. I was shocked to see that even though it was 7-8 yrs old, it had only 4,000 miles on it. :eek:

I took it to my mechanic and he and I put it up on a lift and checked everything we could.

From a visual inspection, the truck seemed fine, but really thetruck was trashed. It was rusted underneath (frame & cab had lots of surface rust underneath), all the fluids had excessive condensation in them. Fuel was dirty. Moldly smell inside, brakes & lines, exhaust were rusted, mice nests, etc.

I know a lot of this won't apply to a tractor, but all the "old timers" I talk to tell me DO NOT buy equipment that has sat for long periods of time.

I think that because this tractor was garaged, that's a big help. The fluids would bother me and the engine sitting with the crank, pistons, starter motor, etc. in one spot for 9 years bothers me.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?
@Coyote machine - Good advice - and I have taken that tact... here's the issue... there's a "guy" helping the family - he's the filter... when I made the offer the day I looked at it - he said "no way" - but I pushed and used HIS cell phone to talk to one of the family members... who sounded like she might go for it if "I was willing to go a little higher - [she} would talk to her sister and get right back to me with a counter offer" I gave her my cell number... she never called and I don't have her number. When I now talk to him - he seems put off that my valuation (based on WAY more research than their single call to the dealer who sold it to them 10 years ago) is lower than theirs... I think it's simple misinformation with a sprinkling of greed... and the "filter guy" has become very unhelpful...
@Soundguy @Builder - EXACTLY - it's 10 YEARS OLD - TEN.. 9+1... years... old... And they think they can get 85% of the initial investment out of it... (that's the numbers the filter guy mumbles when I talk to him or my FIL talks to him)... but who knows since I can't talk directly to the sellers. And there is risk since it's not been run - nor ever broken in.

I still go back to my initial thoughts - and those most of the folks here have shared - 10 years old with 5 hours could be a steal... but - it also sat for 10 years... and I'm taking it on faith it was in climate controlled storage for all 10 years. I get no warranty in a world that readily offers me 60 months, 0%, 3 year safety net tractors for not much more than what they are asking for theirs. Heck - one dealer I talked to even suggested the depreciation rate could be as high as $1K/year in today's market (I didn't go that low in my offer).

Finally - there's a 2007 TC48DA, 30 hours, 6' tiller and 6' bush hog for sale locally here - has been since April 30th - and the guy only wants $5K more in his sticker price than these folks think they can get for this tractor...

Gentlemen - I think (unless something remarkable happens) this thread is about all sewn up. I do thank everyone for their input.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #68  
Good choice. Let someone else take the risk. No good payoff that I can see.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #69  
Fishpick, NEVER feel bad when you don't spend your money. I used to be into the muscle cars, and I can't tell you how many times I was dissapointed trying to buy a car. It always seemed to work out for the better.