Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #71  
2 years isn't that far of a stretch.. 10's getting pretty big...

2 ys is still pampers.. 10ys is in school.. that's the difference we are lookin at.. ;)

soundguy

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #72  
A new left over 2005 BX1500 with 2 hours on it didn't bother me in 2007.

Just out of curiosity did the tractor 'leftover' you bought come from a dealer with a manufacturer's warranty?
If so, then you're comparing apples to grapefruit IMHO and as has been said 10 years to 2 years- hardly the same concerns.

Fishpick,
Ask yourself why, aside from the obvious possible advantage of getting a 'no hours' tractor for decent $, do you want to buy this specific tractor? If you can't come up with a solid reason or several then move on to something else and be satisfied it was not the deal for you for some unknown reason- or just chalk it up to cluelessness on part of owner's; influenced by their 'agent', who was trying to look good in their eyes by hammering out the best deal for them.

Keep searching....

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #73  
@

Finally - there's a 2007 TC48DA, 30 hours, 6' tiller and 6' bush hog for sale locally here - has been since April 30th - and the guy only wants $5K more in his sticker price than these folks think they can get for this tractor...

Gentlemen - I think (unless something remarkable happens) this thread is about all sewn up. I do thank everyone for their input.

Good Mornin Fishpick,
Its too bad that you cant deal directly with the owners ! I would be remarkably up front with this lady, and tell her about the other tractor that your lookin at ! Hey that TC48DA is more tractor, two years old and at 30 hours is borderline broken in !

Lookin at that deal and the amount of property that you maintain, I would lean on the bigger machine !

Obviously your decision, but unless I could get that machine on very equitable terms, I would pass it by ! I can also see how you can get emotionally caught up in this type of a deal ! ;)

Good luck with whatever happens ! :)

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?
Well all - I'm officially considering this deal closed with the outcome being a solid "learning experience". I never heard back from the sister who said "I'll get right back to you with a counter offer" - and I also never heard back from the middle-man... with whom I left a single voicemail with... I guess I offended them by making an educated offer... Maybe I was unaware the gears and pistons were forged from gold and diamonds... ohh well - no loss... honestly - with people like that - I do wonder about the "climate controlled storage for all 10 years of it's life" claim... I know there was a barn out there and some tractors were there too... so - I'm 100% comfortable with the outcome - all very mild disappointment is gone.

All the questions and points here were good ones - the fact is - I work the SNOT out of my little BX 24 with our property now - it's slow going sometimes (sometimes REALLY SLOW) - but that little orange ricer gets it done.

As I think I said somewhere along he way - I wasn't actively in the hunt for a bigger rig and am happy to keep the money in the bank for now... it was a deal that sounded too good to be true... :D

I will be keeping my eyes open for other deals and should something else come along - I'll look at it closely... and then - when the time and finances are right - I'll get a bigger rig to make shorter work of some of the large jobs.

Again - thanks all.

Guess who's phone rang this morning as I was working on the barn leanto?

I'll call them back in a day or two after I figure out what I want to do now... and if I want to move on my offer or not.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #77  
Told ya they'd let it set to look for others offers for a while.

soundguy

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #78  
Told ya they'd let it set to look for others offers for a while.

soundgu
y

And I really hope with the way rates are for financing new tractors, that they loose all offers. They need to realize that is it 10 years old. Whether us has 5, 500, or 1000 hours on it, it is still 10 years old.

Oh Well...

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #79  
All the suden the realized your offer ain't so bad after all. Unless you still want it really bad, let them stew a couple of days.

All the suden the realized your offer ain't so bad after all. Unless you still want it really bad, let them stew a couple of days.

My thoughts exactly... they might have learned this was a fair offer... what I learned in the meantime from a friend that has these books - RustBook.com - is that my offer should pretty much stand as is. Also, I got used to the idea of having that cash in my pocket in this economy and as I keep saying wasn't really looking...
Given the way this has been handled on their side - another buddy asked "Are you 100% sure that this tractor was in a climate controlled environment for its entire life?" - and of course it's their word to believe... same folks who said they would get right back to me - on Memorial Day... and the person who got in touch with me wasn't the sister I talked to - back to the middle man.
(Maybe, as I re-read this - I'm a little paranoid - but I have learned that people who are not members on TractorByNet are not always super trustworthy)

Anyhow - I will do just that dodgeman - I'll let them stew a bit and then call back with a ho-hum demeanor...

As my wife said last night - the saga continues and it feels like a bad sequel...