Mowing wedding mowing suggestions?

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #1  

jimmysisson

Veteran Member
Tractor
1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)
I just found out we'll be hosting a wedding at the end of July. The 40 x 60 tent will sit on an acre piece I keep bush hogged. I figure I'll need most of the acre fairly decent mowed. It was plowed and harrowed about 5 yrs ago, hogged since to keep brush away. Not too lumpy, but it's no lawn!
Tools at hand: 5' brush-hog, 7' decent sickle mower, Ford 2120 to run them, Cadet 44" garden tractor mower. Oh and a 21" walk-behind...
I've got 6-7 weeks to make the "grass" smoother for walking and tables, chairs, etc. What do you think will make the best results, besides mowing every week with the CC, which is too boring (and bouncy) for me to get excited about.
TIA, Jim

Last edited:
   / wedding mowing suggestions? #2  
This is a bit out of my league but could you borrow some big rollers?

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #3  
Well--the extra seat time answer is cut 1/2 way, let it dry a little cut it 1/2 way again...repeat a bunch of times and it won't be too bad. If you cut too much off at once I think you risk "clumps" in your wedding area. You may also want to give the hog blades a good sharpening (special occasion and all) this time!!

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #4  
Does the area have access to irrigation or a garden hose? Or is there much rain in the forcast?

Instead of 'hogging' it, use the sickle mower and rake it all up. If that won't work, then sickle mow and then hog it. You'll get a smoother initial cut.

Then start watering the area (especially the tent area) mow with your riding lawnmower. Adding fertilizer and possibly overseeding with turf grass.

Over time, it won't be so bumpy, especially if the ground is soft using turf tires, but ag. tires will just make it worse.

Yes, I realize that this is a lot of work for nearly an acre. :D

Good luck, and post pics!

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #5  
I think you should just bushhog it every other week until 3 weeks prior to the event. Then start hitting it weekly with your riding mower. I think by the time you start mowing it with the riding mower it will be in pretty good shape.

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #6  
I did a hay field of ours for a wedding last fall. Mowed it 3 weeks prior for hay, then mowed it with my flail mower 4 days before. They were happy, but then again, the bride was brought to the wedding on an atv, so it wasn't an overly elegant affair, but it was black tie.

Good luck. Whatever you do, the more you can mow it the better.

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #7  
I like the idea of renting a big roller to pull behind your tractor after you have a small rain. About 3 weeks out I would cut it as short as you can and mow weekly with the garden tractor before then.

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #8  
If they have a photographer selected, invite him/her out to have a look. They'll appreciate the opportunity to check the place out as well as give you a fresh set of eyes. I do agree with the others, roll, seed, water and begin finish mowing ASAP. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a finish mower!

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #9  
Why not find someone with a HAY MOWER. A 9; sickle will cut thru all the mounds, anthills and other stuff. Then bale it up to remove the grass excess. If the field is flat it will look tremendous in time for the wedding. Then cut it in circles with your CC to make it interesting. Make the Bride walk the spiral. Gives her time to change her mind....

/ wedding mowing suggestions? #10  
Why not find someone with a HAY MOWER. A 9; sickle will cut thru all the mounds, anthills and other stuff. Then bale it up to remove the grass excess. If the field is flat it will look tremendous in time for the wedding. Then cut it in circles with your CC to make it interesting. Make the Bride walk the spiral. Gives her time to change her mind....

Just don't ask the GROOM to walk in circles. I recall my wedding. I was so nervous I woulda got dizzy and passed out if I had to walk in a circle...

Oh, and about your signature.... I remember a kid I had when I coached my sons little league baseball team years ago. I sprung that "There's no "I" in team" thing on him. Do you know what the little rascal came back with? "Well, there's THREE of 'em in MILLIONAIRE pops..." Whatta you say to something like that????? :eek: