Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #11  
Those forms are very impressive!!! I didn't realize there would be so much height to the rooms.

What sized rebar are you using? Do you have to use a special mix of concrete? Do you have a permit? I'd be curious about the process of getting the permit and the inspection process, but then again, I woudn't want to be the one to do it, just like to hear about it if you have to have one.

Thanks for the updates,
Eddie

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #12  
Extremely interesting construction, Sam. I'm looking forward to following your progress. Good luck with everything.:)

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #13  
Sam... I can't wait to see the end results...

Two things, First, did you change any of your layout from the original plan you posted? Also, did you ever do a cost analysis between this and a stick built? I was wondering what your motivation was.

Keep the pix coming. Such a great project / home. Can't wait to see the tractor on the roof mowing ;-)

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
That is a cool design. I am looking forward to following your progress and seeing the end result.

How long will it take from start to finish?

They will be done with the super structure before the end of July but we will be working on all the under slab utilities such as conduit for electrical, Cat 6, smoke alarms, phone and video. Other utilities are black and gray water, wood stove fresh air intakes, PEX hot and cold supply lines, PEX in floor heating, HVAC Plenum, pressure loops and saddles. After we pour the slabs we will need to install windows and doors, then pull wire and install minimal kitchen and bath facilities to move in. After that it will be a daily grind until many of the tasks are complete.

Last edited:
I've long dreamed of building, and owning an earth home. Congratulations! My property is in a 100 year flood plain, and even though the FEMA maps are very inaccurate, the county would never allow me to put an earth home here. My next choice to replace my 1973 mobil home is a geodesic dome. Whatever I do, they will make me pay through the nose with permits, and flood plain certificates. Having been here 33 years, I am the expert on my property - not them.

I am sorry to hear your local government has their nose into your business. You got to wonder if we can really own land. I only need a DEQ permit for septic to build a home and don't pay taxes on our home until it is complete.

Sam... I can't wait to see the end results...

Two things, First, did you change any of your layout from the original plan you posted? Also, did you ever do a cost analysis between this and a stick built? I was wondering what your motivation was.

Keep the pix coming. Such a great project / home. Can't wait to see the tractor on the roof mowing ;-)

The floor plan posted in this thread is correct and I wouldn't consider stick built again. We are willing to pay more to do it right the first time and will recover all cost in the near future. We plan to be off the grid not just for the savings but to become self-reliant. We are planning for the worst but hoping for the best.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #17  
. We plan to be off the grid not just for the savings but to become self-reliant. We are planning for the worst but hoping for the best.

Thats going to be an amazing place when your done. Im hoping that I can get set up on my property before the Zombie Apocalypse hits. Im serious, not zombies but other disasters etc.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #18  
I have land very near you. PM sent

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #19  
We are willing to pay more to do it right the first time and will recover all cost in the near future. We plan to be off the grid not just for the savings but to become self-reliant. We are planning for the worst but hoping for the best.

There ya go!

Off grid is expensive, but the coming utility taxes (carbon taxes) can make your payback time shrink from 25-30 years to as few as 10 years. Not only that, but self reliance is PRICELESS!

Great and interesting project! Please keep the pictures coming!

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #20  
How are you addressing Radon? Tight construction and underground construction with lots of concrete can make for unhealthy Radon levels unless addressed.

How much structural capacity did the engineer give your roof? Usually there is at least 18" of soil over the roof so the grass does not dry out - otherwise the roof needs to be watered.

What is the contractor using for waterproofing? Did the concrete spec include fly ash to make the concrete less porus - more dense and watertight?

Did the engineer design the concrete to meet ACI-318 code requirements?

Good Luck,

Yooper Dave