Hooking up pto shaft arrgh!

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
Just used my Ford 501 sickle mower behind my new DX40 for the first time. I had one heck of a time sliding the shaft onto the tractor. I finally tapped it on with a hammer but could not get it on all the way. I mowed ditches without it being on all the way, stopped and checked it once in a while. I had to use the hammer to get it off again. I tried an end from a different mower, it took a while but I got it on. I filed the end from my mower to remove rough spots I really couldn't feel any. Spent about an hour sliding it on and off was a struggle grease helped but still not good. I had no trouble hooking to my Ford 3600 tractor, I guess it just needs to be broke in. Anyone else have this problem, if so how did you fix it?

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #2  
... Anyone else have this problem, if so how did you fix it?
Yeah, I hated drive shafts so much I sold my tractor and bought one that has all hydraulically powered implements. No drive shafts ever again for me! No more 3pt hitch, either. Quick attach operated from the driver's seat. Change non-powered implements in 15 seconds without getting off the tractor. Powered implements have just two hydraulic hoses to hook up. :D

Anyhow, that's how I fixed it. ;)

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #3  
I found I had a pretty touch time hooking the PTO shaft up between the RFM and the tractor's PTO when it was all brand new. As I have used the mower, and the PTO shaft, and what not, have become "worn in", it gets noticeably easier each time when I go to hook the mower up.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #4  
It just takes a few times to get the hang of it.

My main problem is coordinating the twist of the coupler to get the shaft to lock because the shaft shield is in the way. I saw a neat new version shield in a tractor dealer that allows you to slide the shield back out of the way for an unobstructed hook-up.

I could not find a link to what I am talking about.

Off-topic: Is there such a thing as a hydraulically operated mower?

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #5  
i had same trouble with my mower, it went on but wouldnt come off :mad:

since that time i have come to the conclusion to keep it well GREASED before i slide it on and i mean well greased, havent had any more problems

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #6  
G'day i think the safety shield you may have seen is the bare co lever action guard check it out on their web site i think they actually have a short movie of it as well:)

Jon

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #7  
Sort of sounds like you aren't getting the ball locking mechanism released. The ones with the sliding buttons are pretty self explainatory, but, the ones with the collars can be deceiving. On mine, you don't slide the collar, but instead, pull in on the face. It's not really intuitive. I've stood there, sliding the collar until I was blue in the face until I finally remembered to pull on the face and it then goes right on.

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #8  
I do have some trouble getting the front and rear PTO's hooked up on my Simplicity, but mainly because of the tight space. I've never had trouble on the 3510 (once the splines are lined up). I keep it greased, it goes right on and locks in place easily.

Mark

/ Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #9  
It just takes a few times to get the hang of it.

My main problem is coordinating the twist of the coupler to get the shaft to lock because the shaft shield is in the way. I saw a neat new version shield in a tractor dealer that allows you to slide the shield back out of the way for an unobstructed hook-up.

I could not find a link to what I am talking about.

Off-topic: Is there such a thing as a hydraulically operated mower?

Why sure. Power-Trac's, and skid-steers use them all the time. They are mostly on the front of the machines. The center picture is a hydraulic flail mower, which is what I have. The first one is a brush cutter, and the last one is a finish mower.

Attachments

• brushhog.jpg
    brushhog.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,381
  • flail-mower.jpg
    flail-mower.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 291
  • atd-10548.jpg
    atd-10548.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 383
   / Hooking up pto shaft arrgh! #10  
On the PTO shafts, The mating surfaces have to be clean, free of rust, old grease, etc. On both shafts, use a wire brush, file, brush, scrape, and clean throughly. Keep the ends out of the dirt when you disconnect. Lube when you hook up.