Orange or Green

/ Orange or Green #1  

usmcshepherd

All,

I am new to the TBN site but have found numerous articles that have been assisting me to this point in deciding on a new lawn tractor but I remain undecided. I have a couple of issues I need to point out:

1. I'm an active duty US Marine who moves around but am close to retirement (I'm at 20yrs in the Corps and will retire at 20yrs), so I still have a move or two left prior to settling down on our farm in IL. We currently have about an acre to mow.
2. Our farm lawn mowing tractor is in need of replacing so whatever I get I want to be able to handle the mowing at our farm (160acres / 3.5 acres mowing)when I return there in a couple years.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Kubota or JD. One option I'm considering is getting a smaller lawn tractor just for mowing and then buying a larger tractor when we return to the farm that will handle bush hog, FEL, post hole digging, snow etc.

So my question is should I just go with a T series Kubota or X300 JD or perhaps something a little larger like the GR 2110 or X540? I lean towards the GR 2110 with its shaft drive and glide steer which would be nice while I'm still mowing smaller yards until I retire. On the other hand JD has dealers that are closer to the bases as well as our farm (Kubota dealers are within an hours drive at most). Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
USMCShepherd

/ Orange or Green #2  
Welcome to TBN and thank you for your service. :)

Since you have couple more years before your last wake,maybe when until than before deciding,for it seems each year or so tractor lines offers new ideas etc. which makes life a tad easier.

/ Orange or Green #3  
Personally I think the "shaft vs belt drive" issue for a lawn tractor is a bit over blown. I have an X534 AWS and haven't had any problems with it, the power steering and hydraulic lift is nice also. Brand/color aside I would go with the one you are most comfortable with. :)

/ Orange or Green
That is a point; however, I am in need of a new tractor hence the reason I am looking at one now.

/ Orange or Green
I am in no way sold on a color, I was just using color to reference between Kubota and John Deere. For the price of a x534 I could have a diesel GR 2110 that does have the shaft drive. However, the JDs have a lot more accessories available to them.

/ Orange or Green #6  
I think they both make a good product. I have been strongly looking at a JD x300. In my area, there are many more JDs than Kubota. Probably 50:1 more JDs. Mostly due to far fewer kubota dealers. For me, I am choosing the JD mostly for resale in the future. I am looking for a used mower over a new one. 25-30% less in price and most only have a couple hundred hours. I am somewhat fearful of the JD mowers models below the 300.
I did drive a used Kubota AWS at the dealer a few weeks ago. The engine was very smooth and quiet. However, the mower was a little beat up and the price was too high IMO.

/ Orange or Green #7  
Hmm, the deeres may have more extras but the kubota is a diesel. I would go by the price and quality, even though im a deere fan, the kubota sounds like what you want.

/ Orange or Green #8  
Just to confuse you even more.....I'm an orange guy but think you should go with green due to the dealer location. Parts and service will be much easier for you if the dealer is closer. Both are excellent machines, but the dealer thing is what would swing me to JD.

Let me also say "Thank You" for your service to the Untied States of America. May God bless you and your family.

/ Orange or Green #9  
If you want a mower for just mowing, consider a ZTR. They rock when it comes to mowing. Faster, highly maneuverable, turn better and mow great.

/ Orange or Green #10  
For what its worth - I was advised when looking on here to get a tractor and a separate lawnmower to mow the lawn, rather than an attachment - in my case a mid mount mower. It was good advice, I should have taken it.