Orange or Green

/ Orange or Green #31  
Did you know The JD 300 500 and 700 series are all garden tractors.?
The Kubot BXs are in in the higher class off sub compacts.

Did you know that not everyone wants/needs a sub compact?

/ Orange or Green #32  
aaooo!

The respective websites show about $1300 difference in MSRPs between an X534 and GR2110 with the GR being higher. Guess its all a mute point since you have better pricing.

Thank you for your service.

/ Orange or Green #33  
All,

I am new to the TBN site but have found numerous articles that have been assisting me to this point in deciding on a new lawn tractor but I remain undecided. I have a couple of issues I need to point out:

1. I'm an active duty US Marine who moves around but am close to retirement (I'm at 20yrs in the Corps and will retire at 20yrs), so I still have a move or two left prior to settling down on our farm in IL. We currently have about an acre to mow.
2. Our farm lawn mowing tractor is in need of replacing so whatever I get I want to be able to handle the mowing at our farm (160acres / 3.5 acres mowing)when I return there in a couple years.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Kubota or JD. One option I'm considering is getting a smaller lawn tractor just for mowing and then buying a larger tractor when we return to the farm that will handle bush hog, FEL, post hole digging, snow etc.

So my question is should I just go with a T series Kubota or X300 JD or perhaps something a little larger like the GR 2110 or X540? I lean towards the GR 2110 with its shaft drive and glide steer which would be nice while I'm still mowing smaller yards until I retire. On the other hand JD has dealers that are closer to the bases as well as our farm (Kubota dealers are within an hours drive at most). Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
USMCShepherd

orange or green? no, go white. Bobcat.

/ Orange or Green #34  
I think the reference to the older 400 series probably fits the now 700 series more accurately. While I would love to have a x720 (there was one at the dealer today that we looked at) its just simply to big for what I need. The dealer is going to get in a 540 and 360 for me to test drive and check out and then I'll make my decision.

I did take the time once I was done at the JD dealer to swing by the Kubota dealer and look at his mowers and to be honest, the Kubota's just didn't look as impressive as the JD's. The JD's just seemed more solid then the Kubota's...so that being said I think we will end up going green on this go around.

While I don't recommend the x700's, unless you've got money to burn. I am surprised that there is actually a significant difference in size (wheel base and width) between them and the 500 series.

Also, you are right the 400's are most closely like the 700 series. But, again I don't think they are bigger than the 500's. Could be wrong.

And, of course, to each his own. But, I'll take a used, well maintained 400 series at half the price over a new 500 series everytime. Just a better tractor for less money.

Regarding new vs. old: My 16 year old tractor performs in all aspects just like the first day I got it. Everything works just like it did originally. The only difference is a little dirt. After a few cuttings, a new one is just as dirty. So, I don't understand that "gotta buy new" thinking, especially when new is clearly inferior.

OTOH, the OP, if I understand him correctly, will be looking to get a bigger mower for the bigger acreage in the near future. With that plan in mind, why would one spend more than they need to now? Perhaps even a cheapo GT would be the way to go? The 500 series is such a strange breed: expensive, but only slightly better than many, much less costly machines, and hardly good enough to be in the same class as the premiums.

/ Orange or Green #35  
Did you know that not everyone wants/needs a sub compact?

Apparently LB doesn't realize that.

It sounds like the OP is close to finalizing what he wants based on his needs.

I was picking up some steel today and the guy working the yard asked me how I liked my F-250. I told him I was happy with it, and that I've had bad luck with GM products. He chuckled and said he had bad luck with Ford products.

Bottom line, buy what works for you regardless of color or name. Remember, the fate of the free world doesn't hinge on whether you buy green, orange, blue, red, white, or whatever. It's no skin off my nose if you find Orange or whatever works better for you, and I'll respect your decision as I figure you are a fully competent adult capable of making your own decisions.

There are a few posters that fortunately are in the minority that pick a certain color (e.g. Orange) and think everyone should be driving the same brand.

By all means, please tell us what you get and how you like it.

/ Orange or Green #36  
Thank you for your service!

If you have another move in your future and you do not know if that will require for a mower, consider simply purchasing a used generic garden tractor for your 1 acre lot and then sell it when you move.

As to color and capacity etc, try to find folks in your community who can share their experiences. When I started shopping for a tractor, I was amazed at the input from locals. It is a very polarizing topic indeed.

A local friend proudly allowed me to use his Kubota BX on my property for a few days. I was glad he did, as I found crossing my very hillly property very uncomfortable (stability) with a load in the bucket. That experience made we wait another year while I saved a bit more $ to invest in an L series Kubota. (no slam to the BX lovers, it was just not for me)

Good luck in your search and again, thank yoiu for your serviice!

/ Orange or Green
All,

Thanks again for all the help...but now I've gone and complicated things (imagine that). I was out driving around today and saw a CC dealer so stopped and to make a long story short I ended up on a SC2400. I was really impressed with the smoothness of the tractor as well as how tight it turned. Anyway, I know someone advised me to look at a compact tractor but I thought the turning radius on them would inhibit me from mowing in tight places and around trees...well that is not the case...at least with these new tractors.

So that being said what would be an equivalent JD? I liked the CC SC2400, but hesitate to go CC as I don't find a lot of dealers that actually service them...they just sell them. I looked at the JD 2305 and it appears similar to the SC2400. Is that a fair comparison? The JD is a little more money but there again you go into better service and dealer support.

And if 2305 is good then what the heck is the difference between the 2305 and 2320?

/ Orange or Green #38  
Like our Marine, I too read this forum for a year and you all have provided a ton of insight. Thank you.

My experience has shown me a few things. First, there is a model of tractor for just about everyone, depending on their actual needs and the trick seems to be determining those specific needs. The price points between a top of the line "garden" tractor like a C.C., Deere X700 or a Kubota GX series and then the BX and the B, for example, is not that great. Not really.

I priced them all, honestly. But lately, my neighbor has been doing some favors for me with his Kobota B. Nice tractor and I was tempted, given the relatively small price differential. But the size of the B was just too much, seemed too heavy around my grass, and so forth.

I was very, very tempted by the GX and X700 series "garden" tractors from orange and green, respectively, but honestly? I have to push 100" of snow up here, and I till a half acre garden. Those are my needs. When I became honest with my needs, the decision became easier.

The BX1850. Way more than a so-called garden tractor without being the rather brutish beast the CUT's can be in tight quarters. Just right. For me and my needs, and that's the point. Had it delivered yesterday. Now, the future.

No profound advice here, but this. Identify your own needs and buy the machine that best matches those needs, within one's budget.

Oh, yeah, and get the wife's approval, that goes without saying.

/ Orange or Green
It is certainly a complex problem deciding between the high end garden tractors and the sub-compact series of said brands. I looked at the 2305 and 2320 and once you look at those two tractors I really like the look of the 2320 (I did a little research and figured out some of the differences) with its real full 3 pt hitch vice the limited on the 2305. Additionally, the 2320 has the drive on MMM deck. I watched a video on utube of a fella on his 2320 mowing in his back yard and while it wasn't a huge backyard he manuvered around quite easily with the machine. I've put a call into my dealer to see what kind of deal I could get on the 2320 with a 54" MMM and imatch 3 pt hitch so we'll see how that comes out.

I totally understand the needs analysis, and actually that is what is making this more difficult in that while I am in the Marine Corps I'll probably continue to live on 1-2 acre properties, but I am also looking to the future when I move back to our farm and have 5+acres to mow plus several acres of pasture and over a mile of roadway. Sooooooo.....that is why I am trying to find a mower that will work for me now (of course it will be overkill....but a lot of fun to play around on...) and then when I move back to the farm it will be plenty of tractor for my needs.

/ Orange or Green #40  
It looks like you are enjoying the process and also getting to ride on a lot of different kinds of equipment.
Since you are a Marine, I'm sure you understand the decision making process. Looks to me like you are well on your way to finding the right machine for you. Whatever you decide to purchase will most likely be the right choice.

Glad you are keeping us informed.