The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #11  
What kind of a timetable are you figuring for the project, or do you even have a timetable? I built my log house from a kit 32 years ago and it took longer than I expected?
FH.JPG

/ The Log house Project begins........ #12  
Beautiful setting. I look forward to following the thread.

Will you do any treatment for insects or preservatives or will you will this be provided by mother nature and the cedar? Will you cure the cedar? How will you lock the logs together? Man some many questions that I am sure you will answer over the course of the thread.

Thanks for sharing!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #14  
Wow, what a beautiful place to build a log home! You are really going to enjoy your project. In 2003-4 I designed and built my log home. It is made of Engleman spruce with 8" thick logs that were custom milled out of Idaho and shipped to my building site. There were a total of 494 logs in various lengths up to 16'.
My wife and I did much of the work ourselves and completed the project in 11 months. It was a challenge for me because I'd never built a home before, but we thoroughly enjoyed building our log home. So, go after your dream and enjoy it as we did! Mike.

/ The Log house Project begins........
Slacker, yes, ditches and 5 tile's(culverts) where needed.

SMF, I figure 2 years start to finish....could be sooner depending on funds(no building loan).

Sam, no ERC needs no bug treatment, only a UV treatment on the outside & the logs will be 6x6's. 1"x6" rolls of fiberglass insulation, rolled out between each course of logs and between the end butts. The logs will be screwed together with Timberlock or similar log screws which compresses the fiberglass. I used this method on a pine log house I built in '83...works great, no air leaks at all.

Mike.....11 months?? wow, it took me a year and a half to build the last one & it was 1640sq ft. That one was the first house I built, and the first thing I built if you don't count a pair of speakers in high school. Y'all must have been motivated!

Thanks for the comments, yes this place is a lifelong dream....100ac, no codes, a big live creek and great neighbors...retirement is good!.......:)

RD

/ The Log house Project begins........ #16  
Slacker, yes, ditches and 5 tile's(culverts) where needed.

SMF, I figure 2 years start to finish....could be sooner depending on funds(no building loan).

Sam, no ERC needs no bug treatment, only a UV treatment on the outside & the logs will be 6x6's. 1"x6" rolls of fiberglass insulation, rolled out between each course of logs and between the end butts. The logs will be screwed together with Timberlock or similar log screws which compresses the fiberglass. I used this method on a pine log house I built in '83...works great, no air leaks at all.

Mike.....11 months?? wow, it took me a year and a half to build the last one & it was 1640sq ft. That one was the first house I built, and the first thing I built if you don't count a pair of speakers in high school. Y'all must have been motivated!

Thanks for the comments, yes this place is a lifelong dream....100ac, no codes, a big live creek and great neighbors...retirement is good!.......:)

RD

Yeah, I was motivated because the home we were living in sold faster than I had anticipated. I was there 7 days a week working to get the log home done and my wife would show up after work (RN) and we would work into the late evening. Just about wore me out! The home came in at 2057 sq. ft. with 1440 sq ft of porches front and rear.

Attachments

• 4-21-08013.jpg
    4-21-08013.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 2,182
   / The Log house Project begins........ #17  
Beautiful Home and grounds Mike

/ The Log house Project begins........
Very nice Mike!

Footers got dug. The one against the grade was tough as we got down into the real hard shale. The one on the ridge side we went about 3', then dug each corner and the middle down to 5'. The other two walls will get a post hole dug every 8' or so and as dep as the shale iwll allow. I also put in a shallow center footer across the mddle...it's 14" wide by about 8" deep. All footers are 24" wide.
The cost already went up as we decided to add a 25' footer for a retainer wall, but I kinda figured on that.

This is the DEEP one:

Foundation005.jpg

Foundation015.jpg

Retainer wall footer:
Foundation012.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #19  
Are you leaving those trees there? While a few trees are nice, it only takes a few too many to block the view that can totally change the feel of a place. Being on the hilside like you are, I'm wondering whether you are losing out on an incredible view with all those trees still there. If you took out 3/4 of them, it would still have the same feel, but allow you to see the valley and hillside. The bigger the view, the better in my opinion.

Congrats on the progress, gettting the concrete done will be a huge step forward!!

Are you in an area with code or engineering requirements for building on a hillside? While allot of homes that I've seen were built just like yours, the code changed where I'm from to require holes to be drilled into the ground to anchor the homes to the ground. It was an amazing amount of concrete that they had to use, and depending on the soil and distance from the edge, the holes changed in size and depth. Some were huge and require rebar frames to be set in them that were tied into the frameing. Of course, that was in CA where the earthquakes keep fueling code changes. Even though homes built 50 years ago without any of those features are still standing and doing fine, all the new homes have to meet the newest changes. Most of it seems like an excuse to spend more money on building a house, or to justify some engineers idea of over kill to make a name for themselves, but that's just me being synical.

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........ #20  
Looks like a fun project