I am simply baffled

/ I am simply baffled #51  
There is a fairly new book out "Predictible Irrationality" which relates to some of the discussion here. Pretty interesting easy reading.

Mike

/ I am simply baffled #52  
Hey, guys ... I don't think the words "cheap" and "efficient" are the ones you're reaching for.

Just from one of the "old" school fellows, I believe the one word I would use to describe the "expenditure of funds" for the necessary upkeep and "quality" materials for our equipment is "thrifty." It's a word that is not used that often, and many have forgotten both it and its meaning.

Just my two cents (pardon the pun).

Joe:) :) :)

/ I am simply baffled #54  
On this forum, you must define "cheapest possible garbage junk lubricants". Then, you need to know what area of the USA you are in..hint hint.

I'm from SC. hint hint

Joe

/ I am simply baffled #55  
How much for the 2 cents with an extended warranty?

By my calculations at today's modest interest rates with extended warranty: 2.63 cents!

Joe

/ I am simply baffled #57  
Well, maybe I am wrong again. Not the first time, won't be the last. However, when I see ANY racing organization switching over to Supertech oil, I will switch too. Here is something you will never hear in the winner's circle:

"I owe my victory to the quality of Supertech oil we picked up at Wally World on the way here."

Yes, because we all know that Nascar teams win because of the oil they use or the candy bars they eat or the soda they drink, because that's what they say they owe their victory to. :rolleyes: Not because of a good engine builder or lucky pit timing or good driving. :rolleyes:

But clearly, the marketing works on some people.

/ I am simply baffled #58  
I don't know, maybe it's just me. But when I go to a doctor, I don't want one that just meets the minimum specifications. When I need a lawyer, I don't want one that just barely passed the bar exam.

There are many things in life that meet the minimum specs. Just because they meet the bare minimum specs doesn't mean I want them. Lubricants is one of those things that you can't see working or see it wear out or break down. Just because of that, I would rather "waste" my money on the good stuff. I could point out case after case and study after study of better lubricants saving corporations thousands in breakdowns and man hours. But, I would still be wrong.

Oil "ratings" are not actual ratings, but a minimum spec they must meet to be able to put that symbol on their container.

Just because a doctor has the most expensive rates doesn't mean that he's up on the latest procedures and can perform them. It usually means that he's older, been years since he's been taught anything new, doesn't remember what his GPA was in 1965 and can't take any more patients since he's been booked by the same families for the past 30 years. But maybe if you pay more that flu shot will work better, I dunno? :rolleyes:

/ I am simply baffled #59  
Same idea here... last time my wife got seriously ill, her 50 and 60 yr old doctors gave her bogus diagnosis. the PA/ nurse practitioner that I see. that's younger than me, diagnosed her corectly! after I told her about the symptoms while I was at an office visit.

something to be said for 30-40 years of newer science since the others graduated..

soundguy

/ I am simply baffled #60  
Hey, guys ... I don't think the words "cheap" and "efficient" are the ones you're reaching for.

Just from one of the "old" school fellows, I believe the one word I would use to describe the "expenditure of funds" for the necessary upkeep and "quality" materials for our equipment is "thrifty." It's a word that is not used that often, and many have forgotten both it and its meaning.

Just my two cents (pardon the pun).

Joe:) :) :)

Funny you say that ..I have always used thrifty instead of cheap..there is a difference...to me someone who is cheap refuses to see the value of what they are buying whereas someone who is thrifty recognizes the value but seeks the best deal...