I am simply baffled

/ I am simply baffled #41  
You could relabel MadDog 20-20 or Gallo wine with a more fancy label and sell it for $20 a liter instead of $1.99 a liter and there would be those who would stand in line to buy it and swear how good it is..... :rolleyes:

As you taste this swill, it will be obvious that its makers cut every corner possible in its production to make it cheap.

/ I am simply baffled #42  
SkyPup said:
You could relabel MadDog 20-20 or Gallo wine with a more fancy label and sell it for $20 a liter instead of $1.99 a liter and there would be those who would stand in line to buy it and swear how good it is..... :rolleyes:

As you taste this swill, it will be obvious that its makers cut every corner possible in its production to make it cheap.

Reminds me of going to autozone to buy a part.. they give you 3 prices.. 1yr, 3yr, and 5yr warranty. You ask for the item with 1yr warranty.. they bring it out.. then you decide on the 3yr model.. only they leave the same one onthe table and charge you the higher price. You get the same part.. only some choose to pay more for that warranty. Plenty of research has been done on extended warranties, and what it does to dealers bottom lines ( lines their pockets! )

soundguy

/ I am simply baffled #43  
Soundguy,

Same thing is true with carpet and flooring. It's the exact same thing, but they charge you more for the longer warrantee.

Eddie

/ I am simply baffled #44  
SkyPup said:

If you want a wine story, google up "two buck chuck wine". I can't seem to recall the exact details, but the wine is priced at 2.99 and has won several blind taste tests against the best Califruit has to offer -- much to the chagrin of the judges!

jb

/ I am simply baffled #45  
Wayne County Hose said:
I do not want to single anyone out, because I know this is very common. But, please, for the love of God, can someone please help me figure something out. Why on God's green earth would someone do hours of research and negotiating, pay tens of thousands of dollars for a machine, then put the cheapest possible garbage junk lubricants they could find in it? Maybe it's just me and I am wrong as usual.

Okay, I feel much better now. Thank-you.

I've often wondered the same thing, but in reverse...... why on Gods green earth would someone do hours of research on anything lubricant related, making forays in to the depths of BITOG, and pouring over chemical analysis literature when the cheap SAE 15W40 no name store brand with the correct API rating is just as effective as the Hi buck name brand synthetic and for a lot less money.????

Maybe its just me and I'm wrong as usual. But I sure feel better now.

/ I am simply baffled #46  
It's because some people need to feel that justification for spending the 2x to 3x more money than the next guy did, for the same 'rated' product.

Like buying walmart bottled water at .89$ or dasani for 2.99$.. when both use the same form of distilation... etc.

soundguy

/ I am simply baffled
I don't know, maybe it's just me. But when I go to a doctor, I don't want one that just meets the minimum specifications. When I need a lawyer, I don't want one that just barely passed the bar exam.

There are many things in life that meet the minimum specs. Just because they meet the bare minimum specs doesn't mean I want them. Lubricants is one of those things that you can't see working or see it wear out or break down. Just because of that, I would rather "waste" my money on the good stuff. I could point out case after case and study after study of better lubricants saving corporations thousands in breakdowns and man hours. But, I would still be wrong.

Oil "ratings" are not actual ratings, but a minimum spec they must meet to be able to put that symbol on their container.

/ I am simply baffled
KICK said:
I've often wondered the same thing, but in reverse...... why on Gods green earth would someone do hours of research on anything lubricant related, making forays in to the depths of BITOG, and pouring over chemical analysis literature when the cheap SAE 15W40 no name store brand with the correct API rating is just as effective as the Hi buck name brand synthetic and for a lot less money.????

Maybe its just me and I'm wrong as usual. But I sure feel better now.

So El Cheapo 15w-40 is just as effective as synthetic just because it has an API rating? Dang, time for me to put the bong away.

There's a guy over in the Montana forum that changed from the "rated oil" in his tractor to a good quality synthetic and claimed it runs better and cooler.

/ I am simply baffled #49  
Wayne County Hose said:
I don't know, maybe it's just me. But when I go to a doctor, I don't want one that just meets the minimum specifications. When I need a lawyer, I don't want one that just barely passed the bar exam.

There are many things in life that meet the minimum specs. Just because they meet the bare minimum specs doesn't mean I want them. Lubricants is one of those things that you can't see working or see it wear out or break down. Just because of that, I would rather "waste" my money on the good stuff. I could point out case after case and study after study of better lubricants saving corporations thousands in breakdowns and man hours. But, I would still be wrong.

Oil "ratings" are not actual ratings, but a minimum spec they must meet to be able to put that symbol on their container.

Have you ever seen a doctors diploma, or a lawyers diploma hanging on their wall .. did you notice if it had their GPA on it? I've never seen one like that.

Soundguy

/ I am simply baffled #50  
Maybe lets add all degrees to that!:D

Or should we also remember that some degrees are Dependant on grade point average before qualifying for the degree course!:D