John Deere 3520 with Cab on Order

/ John Deere 3520 with Cab on Order #51  
My PTO control lever is extremely difficult to shift and has not gotten any better with time (180 hrs) Its a scary proposition everytime I try to shift from mid to rear or vice-versa. Its winter now so I'll wait till spring when the MMM goes on to investigate further.

I would investigate it while still in warranty or the sooner the better.

/ John Deere 3520 with Cab on Order
My PTO control lever is extremely difficult to shift and has not gotten any better with time (180 hrs) Its a scary proposition everytime I try to shift from mid to rear or vice-versa. Its winter now so I'll wait till spring when the MMM goes on to investigate further.

Acolar - I have the same problem with mine. Have not been able to change the PTO from rear to middle. I currently don't need this feature but I may later. I am going to get the dealer to correct the problem while it's under warranty.

/ John Deere 3520 with Cab on Order #53  
Acolar - I have the same problem with mine. Have not been able to change the PTO from rear to middle. I currently don't need this feature but I may later. I am going to get the dealer to correct the problem while it's under warranty.

From what I read today (snowing here) about the mid pto it makes sense to have the rear pto switch off (main switch) then select the mid pto function then turn on the rear pto.

When you want to disable the mid pto momentarily but still use it then shut off the rear pto instead, as I read this it seems weird but the mid pto is working off the rear pto shaft. Anytime you have the mid pto on the rear is on too.

/ John Deere 3520 with Cab on Order #54  
Congrats on a great looking machine! I traded my 4310 in for an open station 3520 two years ago. Like you, I really liked the 4310 and wondered if the 3520 could be as good. I'm glad to say it is even better.

Regarding the i-match. The Deere bushings are very expensive. I went to our local Farm and Fleet and purchased sets for under $5. I have a set for every machine.

I'll be interested to know how you like the e-hydro. I'm in much the same situation as you. Grew up with manual tractors and have the e-power reverser. I know a lot of people like the hydro, but it is just a big change for me (and at my age I don't like much change - smile)

Although my 3530 has less than 200 hours, I have considered moving up to the exact model and attachments you have. Please keep us posted - you may have a big impact on my decision.

Once again - congrats on a nice looking tractor!

/ John Deere 3520 with Cab on Order #55  
Clint : ...a warm WELCOME ABOARD and Congrats on a beautiful machine,..I have the 2006 model with Cab and I love it. It's had some problems but the 950 hours are hard working hours and it is still beautiful both inside and out!!I have the 6" wheel spacers on either side rear giving me an extra foot of width which cuts down greatly on the "pucker-factor" during slope operations.

I don't have the mid-mount stuff so cannot join that discussion. The only thing I will caution you on, (I'm 6'-5") and if you are not, it may not affect you. But when working a rear implement like a blade and you have cranked your body into a position to comfortably watch out the rear window,.....(in my case) I find my right knee automatically (without noticing),...hits the loader joystick "lock-lever".

That is the small flat metal handle just below the joystick that pulls out or pushes in a couple notches. When pushed in it "locks the loader joystick". That may not seem like a problem,.....however, while working the rear implement, the loader may have to be dropped "quickly" to save a roll-over,..(or for some other reason)?

It is at that particular moment of need, that you find the joystick locked! Not sure what to do about it "if" you are affected by that,...but I personally carry a wiper rag in the cab and when about to work in that position,...I will simply thread the rag through the lock lever enough to stop that movement. (I intend to carve a small wooden peg to hang on a string and slide in).

Have not seen that problem mentioned here, (may have missed it), or it may just be my long legs that create the problem? Although I know there are many long-legged operators like me on this forum. Any others notice this????

I mention this Clint, because as you likely are well aware from your experience that a "quickly" dropped bucket,...can often save your life! (or at least some expensive broken glass!) Good luck to you!

CHEERS!
. . tug

PS: ...speaking of snow "in New Mexico"!!,...we had a couple inches of snow here yesterday and this morning I notice a thin layer of "ice" on my lake!! The Canada Geese coming in for a landing will get a surpise!! Oh well, spose to clear up and rain!! Happy Winter!

Last edited:
From what I read today (snowing here) about the mid pto it makes sense to have the rear pto switch off (main switch) then select the mid pto function then turn on the rear pto.

When you want to disable the mid pto momentarily but still use it then shut off the rear pto instead, as I read this it seems weird but the mid pto is working off the rear pto shaft. Anytime you have the mid pto on the rear is on too.

The problem I have is I can't get the PTO selector handle to move to the mid or front position even if the main (rear PTO) switch is on or off. Been working long hours all week and I haven't been able to look at it. Will get a chance to look at it closer this weekend. Thanks for the information.

Congrats on a great looking machine! I traded my 4310 in for an open station 3520 two years ago. Like you, I really liked the 4310 and wondered if the 3520 could be as good. I'm glad to say it is even better.

Regarding the i-match. The Deere bushings are very expensive. I went to our local Farm and Fleet and purchased sets for under $5. I have a set for every machine.

I'll be interested to know how you like the e-hydro. I'm in much the same situation as you. Grew up with manual tractors and have the e-power reverser. I know a lot of people like the hydro, but it is just a big change for me (and at my age I don't like much change - smile)

Although my 3530 has less than 200 hours, I have considered moving up to the exact model and attachments you have. Please keep us posted - you may have a big impact on my decision.

Once again - congrats on a nice looking tractor!

Thanks Wesdor. So far I am extremely pleased with the tractor and the quality of the cab. It does have some big shoes to fill when compared to my 4310. As noted earlier, it will take some time to get used to the e-hydro. The only negative thing I have found so far is the 3 point lift handle assembly has what I consider too much movement and real hard to operate. I will keep you informed.

Clint : ...a warm WELCOME ABOARD and Congrats on a beautiful machine,..I have the 2006 model with Cab and I love it. It's had some problems but the 950 hours are hard working hours and it is still beautiful both inside and out!!I have the 6" wheel spacers on either side rear giving me an extra foot of width which cuts down greatly on the "pucker-factor" during slope operations.

I don't have the mid-mount stuff so cannot join that discussion. The only thing I will caution you on, (I'm 6'-5") and if you are not, it may not affect you. But when working a rear implement like a blade and you have cranked your body into a position to comfortably watch out the rear window,.....(in my case) I find my right knee automatically (without noticing),...hits the loader joystick "lock-lever".

That is the small flat metal handle just below the joystick that pulls out or pushes in a couple notches. When pushed in it "locks the loader joystick". That may not seem like a problem,.....however, while working the rear implement, the loader may have to be dropped "quickly" to save a roll-over,..(or for some other reason)?

It is at that particular moment of need, that you find the joystick locked! Not sure what to do about it "if" you are affected by that,...but I personally carry a wiper rag in the cab and when about to work in that position,...I will simply thread the rag through the lock lever enough to stop that movement. (I intend to carve a small wooden peg to hang on a string and slide in).

Have not seen that problem mentioned here, (may have missed it), or it may just be my long legs that create the problem? Although I know there are many long-legged operators like me on this forum. Any others notice this????

I mention this Clint, because as you likely are well aware from your experience that a "quickly" dropped bucket,...can often save your life! (or at least some expensive broken glass!) Good luck to you!

CHEERS!
. . tug

PS: ...speaking of snow "in New Mexico"!!,...we had a couple inches of snow here yesterday and this morning I notice a thin layer of "ice" on my lake!! The Canada Geese coming in for a landing will get a surpise!! Oh well, spose to clear up and rain!! Happy Winter!

Good information Tug. I will keep the problem you have had with the joystick lock in mind. With 950 hours on your machine, it makes me feel like I made a good selection when moving up from my 4310. I am interested in where you aquired your wheel extensions. Did you have them fabricated or did you purchase? I don't know if I need six inches extra on each side but I am considering three to four. Also, thanks for the warm welcome. I really enjoy being able to communicate with others that have the same interests in tractors and small projects.

/ John Deere 3520 with Cab on Order #59  
tugboat 2,
The unwanted engagement of the joystick lock is something I have noticed on both the 110tlb and the 4520. I might add they use different style levers but both have the same issues.

/ John Deere 3520 with Cab on Order #60  
The problem I have is I can't get the PTO selector handle to move to the mid or front position even if the main (rear PTO) switch is on or off. Been working long hours all week and I haven't been able to look at it. Will get a chance to look at it closer this weekend. Thanks for the information.

With the tractor OFF, Try rotating the mid PTO by hand and have someone move the lever untill it falls into place. I had the same problem when I first got my 3520, and this seemed to resolve it. The internal gears may be out of sync.