Brake Controller Advice Needed

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #11  
Are the new controllers good enough to forgo the MaxBrake or is the MaxBrake still the best way to go? I'm in the market for a new controller.
I have 2 trailer shops in my area and both won't sell anything but the old fashioned type. They argue the proportionals won't give you the stopping power when you need it. Seems to me it should be the opposite. I hate setting my controller for freeway speeds and then getting jerked out of my seat first stop in town.

Max Brake is the best aftermarket controller I have used and I bet I have used more than 75 different ones. The best controller hands down is the Ford Integrated Trailer Brake one that has been available since 2005. I have one in my 06 F-350 and its awesome. I would say the Max Brake is 95% as good.
The Max Brake is just so much better than anything else. I have a Prodigy in my F-250 and its ok but no better really than the cheap $80 Reece I have in my Titan.

Look up the Max Brake and check You Tube for it. There is a demo using a F-350 and a 15,000# or so trailer. They first use the Prodigy then the Max Brake and it cuts stop distance substantially in a panic situation.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/128867-max-brake-controller.html

Chris

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #12  
Max Brake is the best aftermarket controller I have used and I bet I have used more than 75 different ones. The best controller hands down is the Ford Integrated Trailer Brake one that has been available since 2005. I have one in my 06 F-350 and its awesome. I would say the Max Brake is 95% as good.
What makes it 5% less than the Ford unit?

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #13  
What makes it 5% less than the Ford unit?

Position of the controls and display. The Fords is high on the dash next to the radio controls and also fives messages on the dash right in the field of view instead of down by your right knee where aftermarket controllers are usually mounted. As far as function it works identical.

Chris

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #14  
Thanks Mike!

I had found the cable, travel sensing controller, but found it was too out of production. I didn't know anyone took up the pressure sensing ones.

If you are wondering what's the BEST type, electric proportional or pressure sensing proportional, ask yourself one question; what type of controller do 18 wheelers use? Direct pressure sensing actuator, that is, the trailer gets EXACTLY the same braking force as the tractor (tow vehicle) because the brake controller (treadle valve) supplies the same pressure to both systems.

Therefore, I believe that the pressure sensing is the BEST system, bar none. In fact, I would say it is the only one that should be allowed. But then, I also think that you should be required to have brakes (air or electric) on ALL axles of any trailer that causes the GVWR of the towing unit to be exceeded and that RVers should be required to pass a test on a Class B vehicle and should have to go thru inspection stations. And, that surge brakes should be outlawed.

Edit> Some vehicles actually have pressure sensors already configured into the vehicle's braking system (Ford for sure), one could utilize that feature easily enough and I'd bet that is what Ford did with the integrated controller.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #15  
I have 2 trailer shops in my area and both won't sell anything but the old fashioned type. They argue the proportionals won't give you the stopping power when you need it. Seems to me it should be the opposite. I hate setting my controller for freeway speeds and then getting jerked out of my seat first stop in town.

I don't think those shops know what they are talking about.

You are supposed to adjust the Prodigy to just below where the brakes lock up. I've had the trailer brakes lock when I didn't have it adjusted right.

I used to have to older type and hated the jerking when moving slowly through town, especially with a horse in the trailer :( The Prodigy has been very smooth and a vast improvement, IMO.

Ken

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #16  
I don't think those shops know what they are talking about.

You are supposed to adjust the Prodigy to just below where the brakes lock up. I've had the trailer brakes lock when I didn't have it adjusted right.

I used to have to older type and hated the jerking when moving slowly through town, especially with a horse in the trailer :( The Prodigy has been very smooth and a vast improvement, IMO.

Ken

I agree. Its a guy who is stuck in his ways. Lets face it things get better over time. Prodigy was on top 5 years ago and now its Max Brake. That does not mean there are any bad controllers, just better controllers.

Chris

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #17  
The good thing is most new ones on the market can be mounted in any position.
I love my P3, but I guess it doesn't qualify as a "new one on the market". I find it fairly sensitive to mounting angle relative to horizontal. In my truck, I get a "ramping" effect of the trailer braking...what seems like a feedback loop between the trailer brakes and the P3's accelerometer. Nudging the controller a bit helps, as does getting the bias set perfectly. But the brakes grab differently on the interstate more than in the heat of stop/go traffic, so I try not to endlessly fiddle with the gain, resorting to angular adjustment to make things work perfectly.

As I said...I like it very much, but there just is no replacing a controller that senses the hydraulic pressure in the brake lines...something I'm considering.

EDIT: I guess you're talking about MaxBrake. Probably the way to go, that system, without buying a new Ford JUST to get the integrated controller. If I could just swing that by the wife..."HONEY!!! Just saw some ultra-cool tires on this new truck over here. Can I get that truck so I can get the tires?

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #18  
Keith

The issue you talk about with the difference from highway to in town driving is what I hate the most about the Prodigy and others. I also get complaints from my neighbor who has a 14,000# 5th wheel he pulls with a 1 ton Dmax and a Prodigy controller. He is very close to biting the bullet and getting the Max Brake before his big 8,000 mile trip this summer.

Chris

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #19  
I guess you're talking about MaxBrake. Probably the way to go, that system, without buying a new Ford JUST to get the integrated controller.

It is definitely the way to go. No Ford required :D I just switched mine from my chevrolet to my new Dodge. With the trans. programming and jake, I'm not sure I even needed one :) Maxbrake is worth the extra dollars to me.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to consider the Maxbrake. My trailering will consists primarily of 5-10 mile trips between properties-no highway driving.

Will