Brake Controller Advice Needed

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #21  
I got a real cheap brake controller, maybe $40. It works well, but it would be nice to at least have a digital readout. That way you have a number to dial it into, such as a certain number for the trailer when empty, another number when the trailer has a load.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #22  
I got a real cheap brake controller
My guess is that you think your brake controller feels fine. Then you get a proportional controller and think "that feels GREAT!". Then you get a digital accelerometer based unit and think "that feels GREAT!" Then you get a MaxBrake and think "that feels GREAT!"

Point being that it probably feels pretty good if that's what you're used to feeling. If I got in your truck, I strongly suspect that I'd wonder what the heck is going on with the trailer brakes.

Likewise, someone with MaxBrake or an integrated controller would think my truck feels like a death trap.

Throughout the year, I tow probably 4,000 miles with not less than 5,000# behind my truck. I didn't know much when I got my controller and CERTAINLY didn't know just how much I would end up towing (a lot in my world).

MaxBrake is on my sunny horizon. Someday. In the meantime, I'll just keep fiddling with my P3. Perfectly safe, but one step short of perfect.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #23  
I mounted my Maxbrake on the dash, just up from the left radio control knob. Figured it was a natural motion for my right hand from the wheel and still out of the way of steering. Will eventually paint it to match the dash (wanted the warranty to expire first). I had to add ~18" to the harness length. 2005 Chevy 2500. Simplest unit I have used, works very well, for single axle 2000# trailer (empty to full), same for a 16' flatbed, and my wifes 3 horse trailer. Oddly enough, all three used in the past 2 weeks. The only thing I do is twist the gain up and do a quick (clear) road check. Considering all the things we spend money on, the cost is relatively little compared to a couple of months of cable/satellite tv.

And no, not using one doesn't mean that you (or anyone else) will get carbunckles. But it sure is nice to take one more thing off of the 'what am I forgetting....' list. The features really add up if you pull more than one load/trailer.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #24  
I mounted my Maxbrake on the dash, just up from the left radio control knob. Figured it was a natural motion for my right hand from the wheel and still out of the way of steering. Will eventually paint it to match the dash (wanted the warranty to expire first). I had to add ~18" to the harness length. 2005 Chevy 2500.
A couple questions....

- What hole did you use to come through the firewall?

- Would it be possible to post some pictures of your connection to the master cylinder and how you bent the line?

- What cable did you use to extend the harness?

- How did you hide the cable leading to the unit, maybe a picture of the dash?

I just bought a MaxBrake for my 2004 Silverado and this would keep me from re-inventing the wheel. :)

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #25  
With your set up all you need is a slight drag when loaded .You don't have to spend a lot.look into the least expencive name brand such as drawtite.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #26  
With your set up all you need is a slight drag when loaded .You don't have to spend a lot.look into the least expencive name brand such as drawtite.

You need a lot more than "a slight drag" if you need an emergency stop!

The inexpensive controllers can work, but if you set the for a proper emergency stop at 55 mph, you will get jerked around when you are moving 5 mph in traffic.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #27  
Position of the controls and display. The Fords is high on the dash next to the radio controls and also fives messages on the dash right in the field of view instead of down by your right knee where aftermarket controllers are usually mounted. As far as function it works identical.

Chris

Exactly. Ford unit is sits in the dash out of the way, manual control is easy to get to, and settings can be viewed on controller or in the instrument cluster on my F150.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #28  
Can't believe that in all this "best controller" talk there has been no mention of Brake Smart. (Does sound similar to MaxBrake but came before it, and I believe Brake Smart has more capability) I have one on my '05 Dodge and it is absolutely the best I have used. (No, I haven't driven a Ford lately) Do the initial set up for the tow vehicle and all you do after that is press the red button after you hook up the trailer and you ALWAYS have the perfect amount of braking. Doesn't matter which trailer, loaded or empty, you never have to adjust anything. Have towed loads over 28,000 lbs. with it and always had enough brakes. Probably more controller than most people need, but it's important to me because when I tow it's usually heavy. I hate to tow with the old truck because it has an old style controller that you always have to fiddle with to MAYBE get the right amount of braking.

Kim

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #29  
Can't believe that in all this "best controller" talk there has been no mention of Brake Smart.
Probably because the company that made them went out of business for a while.

/ Brake Controller Advice Needed #30  
I heard a lot of hype about them a few years back but then noting. I think they are now owned by DR Performance, a diesel go faster company.

Chris