Walk behind brush cutter.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #11  
I have used a billy goat, and it did a pretty good job. But particularly on slopes or uneven terrain, you better be healthy, in good physical condition, and prepared for some VERY physical work. It kicked my butt! That was before I got a tractor... In my case, I find that in almost all circumstances, I can back the brushhog up the slopes and cut that way. Way easier from a tractor seat, but the walk behinds do have their uses if YOU are up to the task. I would highly reccomend trying one from your local tool rental before you buy one.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #12  
I used a borrowed a Gravely to make paths etc and it worked well but I fully agree with RonMar -- the tractor is a lot better. Now I have an Ariens walk behind trimmer that I use with a blade on for areas that the tractor won't reach.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #13  
Regarding slopes. I have very little flat ground but I would not call what we have real slopes though there are some sections that are sloppy. :D

Cutting with the DR ACROSS a steep slope might be interesting. I could see that it would want to head down hill and you would have to counter steer which would not be fun if you have to spend much time on such a slope. I do think it would have to be a pretty decent slope for this to happen though. The skids up front DO NOT want to allow the DR to go left or right which is why you have to push down to life the skids to turn.

On the other hand the DR would go up the slope easily. I swear this thing could almost climb a tree. :D I have gone after saplings that instead of getting cut just bent over and the DR rode right up on it. :confused2: I wish the DR had a LOW first gear sometimes. :D

I don't like buying used. It is just me. :) We do have a used car but its the Wifey's. :D Knowing what I know now, if I was buying a DR today I would seriously look at one of their refurb models. I would bet that most if not all of the refurbs are mowers that people could not physically operate and they returned them to get their money back.

Later,
Dan

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #14  
Why are you interested in a walk behind brush cutter? Might help to know what you want to use it for.

/ Walk behind brush cutter.
Why are you interested in a walk behind brush cutter? Might help to know what you want to use it for.

If your asking me then its simple, we have 2manyrocks :laughing: on our 180 acres of semi maintained area that the tractor simply cannot approach. We use a Kubota L3940 with a 72" flail mower to take care of 90% of the work, a Honda weed eater with a blade for some stuff and a Stihl weed eater that does a ton of weed eating....

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #16  
What's worse is those rocks have a year round mating season, with an extremely short gestation period. Honestly, there were only two there yesterday, but now there is a dozen :eek:

If your asking me then its simple, we have 2manyrocks :laughing:

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #17  
They really are a workout. Would an ATV pull behind unit work for you?

Ken

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #18  
They really are a workout. Would an ATV pull behind unit work for you?

I have both the DR walk behind and the DR pull behind.

I definitely second everything that's been said about the walk behind. Goes about anywhere, cuts about anything, but does give you a real workout on rough terrain. Mine has done many miles here on the farm as well as on state forest bridal trails. Just wears everyone out, LOL.

I've had mine ten years. Oh, btw, when I bought it, I also ordered the "heavy duty blade". I've never taken that out of the packaging and I've never sharpened the original blade even though it's taken on a hidden concrete block....and won! (Rounded off the corner of the block.)

The tow behind has been a major disappointment. I really should have sent it back, but it was too big to get repackaged and loaded up. First of all, it's too heavy to be towed with a 4 wheeler on hilly terrain. First time out, the 4 wheeler couldn't pull it up a moderate grade on our trails and I had to get a second 4 wheeler to assist. I now pull it with a Kubota RTV900 utility vehicle. The original hitch was horrible (they've changed it). It doesn't cut near as low as the walkbehind or a bush hog, so it isn't ideal as a trail mower. I've had lots of problems with the control cables. Right now I have about a half dozen replacement parts to go on it. It just isn't in the same class as the walk behind.

Ken

Last edited:
   / Walk behind brush cutter. #19  
I had the DR walk behind. What a beast of a machine. It had the differencial lock which was crucial for me with my slopes. I didn't have enough area for it so I sold it. I rolled once when working too steep. That thing rolled over and over and landed upright. Not a dent, scratch, nothing. It was expensive but worth the money.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #20  
I rented a "Billy Goat" http://www.billygoat.com/site/categoryLobby.aspx?lid=9 before purchasing the tractor. It worked but it did indeed kick my butt. It is hard to maneuver and I don't think it can go too many more places than your tractor could. With the cost vs. benefit while having a tractor, IMHO I think purchasing a walk behind while having a tractor would be a waste of money unless you have plenty to burn.

As someone else has mentioned, rent one first to see if it will do what you want it to do.

Good Luck!