Walk behind brush cutter.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #21  
I think a walk behind is nice in theory, but in practice it's not so fun. When I run mine, I start to think about how much easier it is to cut with the tractor except for steep slopes which I just leave alone with one exception. I only use mine for small jobs when I don't want to change implements on the tractor or for cutting one steep area around the house. Otherwise, I try to avoid using it.

The Gravely's in particular were designed for small acreage multiuse jobs (plowing, cutting, etc.)--not 180 acres of cutting.:eek:

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #22  
I think a walk behind is nice in theory, but in practice it's not so fun. When I run mine, I start to think about how much easier it is to cut with the tractor except for steep slopes which I just leave alone with one exception. I only use mine for small jobs when I don't want to change implements on the tractor or for cutting one steep area around the house. Otherwise, I try to avoid using it.

The Gravely's in particular were designed for small acreage multiuse jobs (plowing, cutting, etc.)--not 180 acres of cutting.:eek:

If you tried mowing/maintaining 180 acres with a walk behind, your crazier than I am.:confused2::laughing::D

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #23  
...And everyone who knows me will tell you that I'm crazy.:confused2::laughing::D

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #24  
I rented a "Billy Goat" Brushcutters, High Weed Mower before purchasing the tractor. It worked but it did indeed kick my butt. It is hard to maneuver and I don't think it can go too many more places than your tractor could. With the cost vs. benefit while having a tractor, IMHO I think purchasing a walk behind while having a tractor would be a waste of money unless you have plenty to burn.

As someone else has mentioned, rent one first to see if it will do what you want it to do.

Good Luck!

Well you have a good point. I certainly wouldn't use a walk behind if I could use a tractor! But I have had plenty of places that the tractor would never fit. But I am trying to widen those out with the mini excavator and skid steer so that the walk behind DR mower gets less and less use.

Ken

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #25  
In my case I am bidding on a job that specifically will not allow tractors or skid steers to be used due to access and environmental impact. The contract actually calls for weedeaters with blades. I am hoping that a DR will be able to be used in place of a couple weedeaters. It is good to see that there hasn't been any negative remarks about the DR, other than the workout one receives from them.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #26  
In my case I am bidding on a job that specifically will not allow tractors or skid steers to be used due to access and environmental impact. The contract actually calls for weedeaters with blades. I am hoping that a DR will be able to be used in place of a couple weedeaters. .

I've used both the weedeater with blades and the DR. The DR is far more efficient except right up against obstacles like fences or walls. Basically, the DR will handle just about anything so long as there is a 30 inch space to run it through and you don't need to get right up to or under fence posts etc.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #27  
Relatively speaking, a brush mower is to a weed eater what a brush mower is to a pull behind bush hog in terms of productivity and ease of use--IMO.

On a contract job, I suppose you should be able to afford to buy new equipment that won't be a continual maintenance issue or there's no point in taking the job.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #28  
The string trimmer on wheels is not bad if that's all they will allow.

Ken

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #29  
We have an old walk behind mower that was used on a golf course. it goes through all that and then some. I cant remember the name of the top of my head but even as a finish mower it rocks. I cant run it on fast i wont keep up.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #30  
We ended up buying the DR because I had been using a hand held Stihl brush cutter with a blade for years. THAT is a worse workout than the DR. :D And the Stihl is not as efficient as cutting down tall weeds. It was easier to use a hand powered weed whip to cut down the weeds in the septic field compared to the Stihl. The DR wins hands down.

No heavy equipment is allowed in the septic field.

Cutting the septic field with a weed whip is NOT fun. :laughing:

Our place is heavily wooded and the tractor cannot clear out the brush in the woods. While the DR is a brush cutter it mows my grass as well when I feel like mowing grass. :D The nice thing about the DR is that it will mow the grass when it is 18 inches tall. :D Can't do that with the Craftsman. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I did buy the heavy duty blade and use it. I have "sharpened" it once and turned it over once. I have no idea if the regular blade works as well but I figured with the wood, saplings and rocks that will get hit the heavier blade would be better.

I WISH I had bought the DR when we first bought the land. I had to clear out an overgrown road full of saplings with the Stihl brush cutter and a chainsaw. PITA. The DR would have done it quicker and easier. The chainsaw would still have been needed but having to use the Stihl brush cutter slows you down.

The DR is also used to clear up our property lines so I can get the tractor out there. A downsize of the DR is that it cannot go over LARGE rocks or fallen trees much more than 6-8 inches in diameter. I have locked the differential and climbed over some trees around 6 inches in diameter though. With a hand held brush cutter you just step over the rock or log.

Later,
Dan