RV Inventories?

/ RV Inventories? #11  
Anyone here with experience in RV sales?

When I drive by RV sales lots, I am amazed by the inventories of new RVs that those folks carry. I am curious as to who is financing those inventories.

Steve

No recent experience, but I've owned 6 RVs over the years; one slide-in pickup camper, two conventional travel trailers, one fifth-wheel travel trailer, and two motorhomes. One of my brothers used to be an RV salesman, then F&I (finance & insurance) manager, and then both brothers worked in RV service and repairs; one still does. And both still live in RVs; one in a 36' motorhome and the other in a 38' fifth-wheel.

I don't know how well the dealers are doing now, but as in your area, we have lots of dealers within 15 miles of my home, and they all have huge inventories. One big change I've noticed is that places like Buddy Gregg Motorhomes used to only sell high dollar motorhomes; mostly over half a million dollars and now they have some cheaper motorhomes and even some trailers. ExploreUSArv had upscale fifth-wheels and Airstreams and now they have some smaller cheaper trailers.

I have no idea what they're doing now, but when my brother was in that business, the units on their lots cost them nothing for 90 days. If not sold in that time, they had to start paying interest on them, and if not sold within one year, they had to buy it.

/ RV Inventories? #12  
No recent experience, but I've owned 6 RVs over the years; one slide-in pickup camper, two conventional travel trailers, one fifth-wheel travel trailer, and two motorhomes. One of my brothers used to be an RV salesman, then F&I (finance & insurance) manager, and then both brothers worked in RV service and repairs; one still does. And both still live in RVs; one in a 36' motorhome and the other in a 38' fifth-wheel.

I don't know how well the dealers are doing now, but as in your area, we have lots of dealers within 15 miles of my home, and they all have huge inventories. One big change I've noticed is that places like Buddy Gregg Motorhomes used to only sell high dollar motorhomes; mostly over half a million dollars and now they have some cheaper motorhomes and even some trailers. ExploreUSArv had upscale fifth-wheels and Airstreams and now they have some smaller cheaper trailers.

I have no idea what they're doing now, but when my brother was in that business, the units on their lots cost them nothing for 90 days. If not sold in that time, they had to start paying interest on them, and if not sold within one year, they had to buy it.

The biggest dealer around here layed off a friend of mine last year. He had worked there for 10 years, after retiring from Ford. He said they were down to a couple of part time guys. I have a couple friends that have 40 & 45 footers, neither has moved in 3 years. I got asked to buy both at one time or another in the last year. Lots of toys for sale around here.

/ RV Inventories? #13  
You folks want to know the state of the RV industry? Do a search on Elkhart, IN, the RV arguably the RV manufacturing capital of the country. Or, at least is was.

The two happiest days in a man's life, the day you bring that RV (or boat) home and the day you sell it.

/ RV Inventories? #14  
You folks want to know the state of the RV industry? Do a search on Elkhart, IN, the RV arguably the RV manufacturing capital of the country. Or, at least is was.

The two happiest days in a man's life, the day you bring that RV (or boat) home and the day you sell it.

The whole area is unbelievable. Not only RV's, but trailers as well. Driving by on I-80 you can see dealer/manufacturer one after another....

/ RV Inventories? #15  
Don't know about RV's, but went to Ocean City Md. a few weeks ago and the boat dealers had huge inventorys that would make all the RV's look like popup campers. Millions and millions of dollars worth of boats.

mark

/ RV Inventories? #16  
Don't know about RV's, but went to Ocean City Md. a few weeks ago and the boat dealers had huge inventorys that would make all the RV's look like popup campers. Millions and millions of dollars worth of boats.

mark

Yep, Mark, we've got the same thing here. Since I'm only couple of miles from Lake Lewisville, we have some boat dealers that I know have been here over 50 years, but we also have some newer dealerships, too. We have some 30k acre reservoirs (we call'em lakes) in the area, but I can't understand why anyone would want a huge yacht on such lakes.

/ RV Inventories? #17  

I haven't been there since August, 1990; hard to believe it was 20 years ago.

/ RV Inventories?

mark

It appears that just about everyone who depends on their customers spending discretionary income is hurting. Yet another example, I just read an article about college football season ticket sales being off this year.

IMO, it's going to take a long time for some sectors of the economy to recover. Folks have lived beyond their means for so long that it's going to take years for them to get their financial houses back in order.

There appear to be some real bargains out there, but I'm going to continue living "below my means."

Steve

/ RV Inventories? #19  
Steve, Funny thing happened a couple years ago, I received a letter from James Madison University saying my son was accepted. Second sentence was how many football tickets would you like to buy! I hate the JMU football scam. Damb coach makes more money then the college president and coach hired his two time DWI wheel chair son (guess why he is in a wheel chair for the rest of his life). Yep, car wrecks. Makes more money than a tenured professor.

mark

/ RV Inventories?
Steve, Funny thing happened a couple years ago, I received a letter from James Madison University saying my son was accepted. Second sentence was how many football tickets would you like to buy! I hate the JMU football scam. Damb coach makes more money then the college president and coach hired his two time DWI wheel chair son (guess why he is in a wheel chair for the rest of his life). Yep, car wrecks. Makes more money than a tenured professor.

mark

Mark,

First, thanks for your service to our country.

I try not to be too judgmental on these matters, but I agree that the "athletic tail" too often wags the "academic dog." I understand how college/university administrators let this happen -- it's all about the money. Big name football coaches can generate big money for their schools and are rewarded for doing so.

Steve

BTW, I have known some tenured professors who were overpaid and underworked. I hope that I wasn't one of them. :)