Ok dummy girl question...Tractor fliuds..

/ Ok dummy girl question...Tractor fliuds..
No dip stick..I just used my finger..I took nearly 3 gal..I ran it since then.. Had to put some gear oil in the bush hog box.. I adjusted the clutch pedal just a 1/8 inch or so because I was havig trouble pushing it all the way down..I have to hold on to the steering wheel for leverage.. That didn't help so I put it back to the position it was at..Tractor ran ok then began bogging down when I cut thick areas..

/ Ok dummy girl question...Tractor fliuds.. #12  
There is not much difference (some may disagree) between hydraulic oil and motor oil. My old Kubota tractor had motor oil (10w-30) in the loader, worked fine that way for 30 years. I bought, drained, filled with what I had (hydraulic oil) and she worked great for the 5 years until I sold it.

"I know Hydraulic oil goes in the filler holes located under/seat..." - Most likely correct.

"Gear oil goes in the bush hog "chunk" thing" - Most likely correct.

"What goes in the 'box' where the gears are?" - Do you mean on the tractor or the bush-hog? If you mean bush-hog then gear oil. If you mean tractor, then most likely the hydraulic fluid also lubricates the gearbox on the tractor (my kubota did and my Kioti does).

"I was told Hydraulic fluid..." - Based on the above, most likely correct.

"What is the difference between hydraulic fluid and oil?" - Very little.

"The tractor is no longer moving very well..bogs down when the bush hog has to work harder" - Unlikely related to the oil, is it possible the grass is wet, or maybe you are not familiar with the tractor and it always has done this? ..Please help..New to tractors..but my 80 year old father can't get on the tractor anymore.. I tired to find info in the posts but alas...

[Please don't use the term "dummy girl" - the term "new to tractors" will suffice. The only dummies are the ones who refuse to ask for help and break their stuff.]

There are a lot of smart people here (wish I was one of them) anxious to answer your questions.

Joel

/ Ok dummy girl question...Tractor fliuds.. #13  
I'm sorry ..Please be more specific.. light weight like car motor oil 10w30 or something? It appeared to have hydraulic fuild in it..it was very low..couldn't touch it with my finger (haha).. I put hyrdraulic fluid in it.. What is the difference between hydraulic fliud and oil?

Since you are somewhat inexperienced regarding tractors and fluids for them, you may want to seek the advise of a Napa dealer or Farm store, where you can deal with them one on one to have better communication for what you are looking for

So.. the plug under the seat is for the rise and fall hydraulics for attachments only? What lubricates the 'drive part' transmission? Do your think it would be ok to put hydraulic oil in it..I got 5 gals today..I have maybe 1 and a half gal of the fluid left..They look and feel about the same to me..

We have Tractor Supply out here they weren't much help..Thanks for your time ..Maybe I can find a manual somewhere..I've been working on my cars for years..but no diesel, hydraulic stuff..

/ Ok dummy girl question...Tractor fliuds.. #16  
No dip stick..I just used my finger..I took nearly 3 gal..I ran it since then.. Had to put some gear oil in the bush hog box.. I adjusted the clutch pedal just a 1/8 inch or so because I was havig trouble pushing it all the way down..I have to hold on to the steering wheel for leverage.. That didn't help so I put it back to the position it was at..Tractor ran ok then began bogging down when I cut thick areas..

Wow, you'd love my yanmar. easiest clutch i've ever used. what is the size of the resivour you are putting the hydraulic fluid in? what dementions? since my little 18 hp tractor takes 4.5 gallons of hydraulic fluid, im surprized your 42 hp tractor takes less. boging down in thick areas is usually normal. What size brush hog are you using? 5'? 6'? if it is a 6 footer, it takes 5hp per foot of mower so it takes 40hp to run a 6' mower and 35hp to run a 5' mower. since your tractor is 42hp, that means the PTO should have around 35-37 pto hp.

/ Ok dummy girl question...Tractor fliuds.. #17  
We have Tractor Supply out here they weren't much help..Thanks for your time ..Maybe I can find a manual somewhere..I've been working on my cars for years..but no diesel, hydraulic stuff..

i've been a mechanic all week on my diesel tractor. I bought it as a learning project and im still learning. Ordered a diesel injection pump and it turned out that it doesnt work so i am getting another one. would you believe that im only 15! :D

/ Ok dummy girl question...Tractor fliuds.. #18  
Welcome to TBN...

You are asking good questions... and listening for the right answers.

OK...my best advice is for you to get somebody to walk with you thru the tractor, its fluids, where they go in, how to check their levels, where the grease zerks are, etc. I applaud your interest, initiative in posting on TBN, and gumption to get out there and make things happen :thumbsup:

I suspect that there are reasons that maybe your father has not been able to tell/show you the above. I understand, my dad is 97 and no longer able to do the things he once did.

A brief tutorial re fluids

Oil goes into the engine ..this us 10 W 30, similar designations. Gasoline engines take one kind of oil. Diesel engines take a DIFFERENT kind of oil. Be sure and ONLY use the kind of oil for the engine you have....These kinds of oil are formulated for the high heat of a combustion engine.

Hydraulic fluid is used in the hydraulic cylinders to push them in and out, pass thru hydraulic pumps, hydrostatic transmissions, other types of gears.

There are many differences between the various kinds of oil. You should pay specific attention to the "weight" of the oil recommended for the various parts of your tractor and equipment such as the bush hog.

Yes, the bush hog gear box will take gear oil...NOT engine oil and NOT hydraulic oil.

About the tractor bogging down when the bush hog has to work hard. Likely this is not an oil problem, but rather an operator gearing/throttle problem. Keep your RPM's high when bush hogging...even when in heavy grass/brush. Achieve this via the throttle and gearing down so the tractor moves more slowly thru the stuff you are cutting.

Again, this is not the kind of thing that is best explained in a post, but by someone who can hear what is happening, understand the questions you have, and show you the specifics of where too oil, how to test fluid levels, how fast to run the tractor when it is working. These things are not hard to learn, but it is a little different from driving a car where you just get in and go. It won't take you long to learn this, we each have had to learn it for our own specific tractors.

Hope you can find that someone.

/ Ok dummy girl question...Tractor fliuds.. #19  
Just a thought. Maybe you are not running the bush hog at high enough rpm causing it to bog.

When I put the 31/2 gall fluid it was not completely empty..I did not drain it or anything..

I have bush hogged a few times over the years but the other tractor was a ford and it must have been alot more powerful.. may had had the bush hog down to low..but it felt like ' my tractor couldn't get no traction' because the motor really slowed down..It almost went dead once or twice.. I do some more research and check it out again..If the grass was wet it won't be now it's extremely hot out here... signed, New to tractors!