Giving meds to dogs

/ Giving meds to dogs #21  
However, after talking with our vet, we found out about an item that we never knew existed called a "pill shooter". Actually made giving the cat the medication pretty easy. Although we haven't had to use this devise for a dog, I have no doubt that after using it on a cat, it will work with a dog.

I had forgotten about those.

In a size used for horses and cattle, they are called a "balling gun" and are metal, usually with the shape of a pistol. For cat & dog sized animals they are usually plastic and are more of tube and plunger design. It is possible to injure the animal if they are used too vigorously.

/ Giving meds to dogs #22  
My wife used to share her valium with our old mutt. Once he figured out that they made him feel better, he was more than happy to take them. Lucky bugger.

/ Giving meds to dogs
Lots of good ideas, it shows how different our dogs can be. Tried many but best way for mine always had been to "introduce " the pill to the back of the tonue.
may use a different tactic on my next pup.

/ Giving meds to dogs #24  
We've always put the pills in a wad of butter for dogs...Never had a problem...Cats on the other hand...ugh!

/ Giving meds to dogs #25  
Pill Pockets !!

My wife is a zoo, nutritional research person and softy for all animals (Cats!!). I have seen her administer many many medications for sooo many animals, and I always suggest to stick it in the back of their mouth. The implication of force and overpowering the animal does not sit well with her ... pill pockets are her standby.

Last edited:
   / Giving meds to dogs #26  
I am retired from Veterinary practice. Had a couple of dogs with seizures and gave meds daily. Gave 1000's of dogs meds. If you can hide it in food, then that is the simple way. However, like most everything it takes practice and dog training. Dogs are fairly easy to give meds. (Cats can definitely be more challenging.) For the owner, get your pet comfortable with you checking his teeth, gums ect. Start simple, just holding their muzzle, pet them and give positive reinforcement. Graduate to lifting their lips, checking the teeth ect. Next begin to place your hand over the top of the muzzle with thumb and forefinger toward the front. I am right handed and I used my left hand over the dogs muzzle. Gently apply pressure on the top lips over the teeth. They will automatically begin to open their mouth. Easier to do with a dog with moderate to long muzzle but it will work for the pug or about any dog. (Try pushing your own check with your fingers and you will also open your mouth!) Now continue mild pressure and wrap the lips further over the upper teeth. Mild pressure, you don't want to cause pain or it will become a negative punishment rather than training. Even the most powerful jaw isn't going to bite their own lip and your fingers are protected because they will not bite themselves! With the other hand (left hand for me) place the pill as far back as you can in the mouth. (For practice, try a piece of bread or small treat.) Now release your pressure on the lips. Now your pet can close his mouth to swallow. One more very important aid. The same time you release the lips on the teeth, take the hand that just placed the pill in the back of the mouth and lightly but quickly rub their nose. 99% of dogs will automatically take their tongue and then lick their nose. When they lick, their nose, they will swallow and down goes the pill. Now give positive reinforcement and perhaps a treat. As you become good at this, the entire above process takes but 1-2 seconds. Dogs than get use to this will almost open their mouth as soon as you put your hand over their muzzle.

/ Giving meds to dogs #27  
Radman1,
As I read this thread I thought I would explain how to give pills to a dog, but I dreaded trying to explain it. You've done a marvelous job. Exactly how we've usually done it. The other trick to get them to swollow is to tilt the dogs head up and gently run his throat. Usually works.

We had one dog, a Welsh Springer, who would take a pill, happy as can be (using the food method), then maybe ten monutes later would spit the pill out when you weren't looking. It was the most amazing thing. He did it regularly. I think he kept it in his cheek for a while, carefully biding his time and waiting for you to get distracted. Then he'd spit it out under the table and then giggle. Ok, maybe he didn't actually giggle, but I really wonder. He was a talented and very smart dog.

Cliff

/ Giving meds to dogs #28  
Radman that's great description! Thank you. I do the same thing except the nose touch, always just hold the snout up as Cliff_Johns says.

I never tried to give a pill to a cat, I heard it is easier to get a different cat:D

/ Giving meds to dogs #29  
...there is no dog made that can resist a little bacon grease on the pill...or the toothbrush...or a pinecone, for that matter...

Our Vet taught me that one as a kid when I had to start cleaning my German Shepherds teeth and massage her gums and complained bitterly at the wrestling matches that ensued...

Dr. Deutch laughed himself sick when he asked me to demonstrate my technique....me and Dog rolling around his office floor was too much for him....

He took the brush away from me, went to the office fridge and a pea-sized dab of grease later and dog was his willing slave...

He coulda had a TV show....

Be Safe!

T

/ Giving meds to dogs #30  
Some dogs lick the lard off and spit out the pill with expression of million words.