Giving meds to dogs

/ Giving meds to dogs #11  
I got my dogs likin' crunchy peanut butter before they needed meds. Now they never notice the pill. They just think its a crunch.

/ Giving meds to dogs #12  
For my dogs, I put some peanut butter on my finger, and put the pill in the middle of the peanut butter. They always gobble the peanut butter down ( and they leave my finger) and eat the pill without ever noticing it. And I have 2 dogs on pills that they have to take twice/day forever (both young dogs, too).

/ Giving meds to dogs #13  
The very best way I have ever seen it done is to lick the tip of your index finger (before putting it in the dog's mouth) and touch the pill with the wet finger. The pill sticks to the finger and can be placed far back in the dog's mouth.

Now with food-loving dogs, like our labs, wrapping in cheese, ham, peanut butter, bread or anything edible is pretty easy. If I take a bite of whatever I am wrapping the pill in before giving the pill to the dog, all thoughts of eating around the pill fly out the window...

/ Giving meds to dogs #14  
our blue heeler takes a pill daily. we dont even have to hide it in a treat or nothin, she just instantly swallows it. :) what a good dog. :laughing:

/ Giving meds to dogs #15  
Currently, we're lucky. Two dogs require daily meds and all we have to do is put the medication in the dog bowl with food and they'll take the medication with the food no problem. However, this may be due to the pills not tasting so bad:D

We've apparently had pills that didn't "taste so good", in which case wrapping the pill in cheese usually solves the issue.

Before we had to put our lab down, we were actually at the point of using a daily pill dispenser to keep track of the medication given.

Now, if you want a real challenge, try giving a pill to a cat who doesn't want to take it:confused2:

However, after talking with our vet, we found out about an item that we never knew existed called a "pill shooter". Actually made giving the cat the medication pretty easy. Although we haven't had to use this devise for a dog, I have no doubt that after using it on a cat, it will work with a dog.

/ Giving meds to dogs #16  
For our chihuahua, my wife folds a little piece of a slice of Velveeta cheese around the pill, but it may only be one or two pills a month. Our daughter has an old basset hound that takes daily pills so she buys Pill Pockets from PetSmart and that dog is anxious to get that treat when she sees you putting the pill in one.:laughing:

/ Giving meds to dogs #17  
Skin off a baked or grilled pieces of chicken works. I rub the pill around in the skin to mask the taste of the pill. Once in a while the pill gets spit back though.

If you get the pill on your finger as CurlyDave described and stick it way back in the throat, it will go down. I enter the mouth from the side as far back on the jaw as possible.
Dave.

/ Giving meds to dogs #18  
I usually dip a little peanut butter on a Frito and down it goes....

Now its funny we have a lab/golden mix that bolts everything he eats, I often tell him he didn't even get a taste of what it was...our shepherd mix though chews and savors every morsel... at dinner time the lab/golden is done in 15 seconds...the shep may take 5 minutes...
BTW the hot dog thing reminded me...many years ago I had a dog that threw up after an hour or so every time we gave her a piece of hot dog...no idea why, but after a few times we made the connection and no more hot dogs;)

/ Giving meds to dogs #19  
Crunchy peanut butter for us. I usually eat a spoonful, too, while I've got the jar open. I also like to put some in his Kong and watch him lick it out. I swear...that dog's tongue when messing with peanut butter is 10 inches long...

Sailorman, Richz, and I think alike.

/ Giving meds to dogs #20  
A friend of mine had his wife and dog both sick at the same time, he got the meds mixed-up. Have you ever seen a dog on valium? Oh, the wife's worms are gone too. :laughing: