3pt snowblowers

/ 3pt snowblowers #32  
in my expirance with snow removal a hyd blade in the front for smaller snows.a rear blower for deeper snows,deeper being 7 plus inchs.and to top it off a 4n1 bucket to spread sand. studed tires on the car helps a lot

/ 3pt snowblowers #33  
in my expirance with snow removal a hyd blade in the front for smaller snows.a rear blower for deeper snows,deeper being 7 plus inchs.and to top it off a 4n1 bucket to spread sand. studed tires on the car helps a lot

I had a 2320 with a 47" blower and I did 18 to 24 inch snow with it along with 4 foot drifts. That was a front blower, by the way.
What I don't like about Deere front blowers is that they have this Mickey Mouse cable system to rotate the shoot. The cables break and now you're at the end of tyour 1/4 mile driveway with a shoot that won't turn. What? They can't come up with a better system?

Rob

/ 3pt snowblowers #34  
I have never used a snowblower, so I am asking this question, Front or back mount, which is worst about the wind blowing snow back on the operator? Ken Sweet

/ 3pt snowblowers #35  
I have never used a snowblower, so I am asking this question, Front or back mount, which is worst about the wind blowing snow back on the operator? Ken Sweet

Depends on which way the wind is blowing. :D
Really, it wouldn't make any difference.

/ 3pt snowblowers #36  
In my opinion I look at both front and rear this way.

Front mount s/b; The unit is 12 to 16 feet away from where you sit. You have to contend with blowback from the blower as well as overland drifting coming into your line of sight. Couple that with the glare of the outside lights and dash lights glaring off the windshield, the smearing of the wipers, frost and frozen snow on the windscreen, looking around the windshield uprights and the muffler/exhaust stack. You still have to look over 3 to 4 feet of snowwblower to see what you are driving into or over. Hitting the neighbor's dog and putting it through the blower does no good for neighborhood relations either. Front facing snowblowers do have their place, usually on a airport runway, not on a rural property with changes happening every time a car car passes. Try hitting a four pound Sunday paper hidden under the snow at the end of the driveway and you will understand the meaning of shredded paper.

Rear mount s/b; My favorite, because things are nearer to me, consequently, I can see them better and react faster to the situation. I always have my foot close to the clutch and my hand near the PTO lever. My rear cab lights are over the rear window so that glare is reduced somewhat. My point of view is higher and directly over the rear blower so I can react faster if need be. Any bearing or shaft noises are more noticeable, if you hit a stone pile or ice chunks you can stop or re-direct the chute before causing too much damage. Because of the slower speed of traveling in reverse, it keeps you out of trouble and you work within that tolerance. If working on an open tractor, it gives you the opportunity to 'hide behind' the blower or chute to keep blowing snow and a cold wind from hitting you in the face.

Both units will allow you to multi-task if you want to. If using a front mount, you can be scraping ice with the rear blade or spreading salt with a 3 pt broadcaster. The rear mount will allow the FEL to be used to cut down snow height while back blading, pushing rough snow out of the way, etc.

/ 3pt snowblowers #37  
In my opinion I look at both front and rear this way.

Front mount s/b; The unit is 12 to 16 feet away from where you sit. You have to contend with blowback from the blower as well as overland drifting coming into your line of sight. Couple that with the glare of the outside lights and dash lights glaring off the windshield, the smearing of the wipers, frost and frozen snow on the windscreen, looking around the windshield uprights and the muffler/exhaust stack. You still have to look over 3 to 4 feet of snowwblower to see what you are driving into or over. Hitting the neighbor's dog and putting it through the blower does no good for neighborhood relations either. Front facing snowblowers do have their place, usually on a airport runway, not on a rural property with changes happening every time a car car passes. Try hitting a four pound Sunday paper hidden under the snow at the end of the driveway and you will understand the meaning of shredded paper.

Rear mount s/b; My favorite, because things are nearer to me, consequently, I can see them better and react faster to the situation. I always have my foot close to the clutch and my hand near the PTO lever. My rear cab lights are over the rear window so that glare is reduced somewhat. My point of view is higher and directly over the rear blower so I can react faster if need be. Any bearing or shaft noises are more noticeable, if you hit a stone pile or ice chunks you can stop or re-direct the chute before causing too much damage. Because of the slower speed of traveling in reverse, it keeps you out of trouble and you work within that tolerance. If working on an open tractor, it gives you the opportunity to 'hide behind' the blower or chute to keep blowing snow and a cold wind from hitting you in the face.

Both units will allow you to multi-task if you want to. If using a front mount, you can be scraping ice with the rear blade or spreading salt with a 3 pt broadcaster. The rear mount will allow the FEL to be used to cut down snow height while back blading, pushing rough snow out of the way, etc.

I've owned a front blower but not a rear one. First off on the 2x20 series Deere's you're not more than 7 feet, if that, from the blower. Glare can bother you looking in either direction too.
You can hit a hidden newspaper with either front or rear, the snow can blow in your face with either one too and I don't use a cab so no wipers get clogged, smeared, etc. There's a you tube with a guy using a front blower with a cab and he's blowing some real snow with no problems.

Rear blowers are cheaper and usually more robust than front blowers BUT front blowers are nicer to use, especially on long driveways.

My two cents.
Rob

/ 3pt snowblowers
I was searching craigslist again and found another blower. This one is a Erskine 72" 3pt with hyd chute, they are asking $1000. It needs a paint job, but they said it work great.

Does anyone know anything about Erskine? I checked their website and now they don't make any "standard" 3pt blowers, the 3pts that they make now are a "pull blower". But the one on craigslist is "standard" blower.

I haven't heard anything from my buddy at the JD dealer either, and I know that I won't be hearing from him until atleast Monday now. Glen is on the fire dept. and the town that the dealer and he also lives in got over 7" of rain in about 12 hrs. The entire downtown is flooded with 2-4ft of water. So I am sure he has more important things on his plate right now than getting me a price...

/ 3pt snowblowers #39  
Erskine make high quality blowers from everything I have seen or heard. That is a steal if it is working well. I'd get it in a heartbeat.

/ 3pt snowblowers #40  
I own a 68" meteor pull type blower for a l2800. I also have a 1 mile driveway and would not want to back up to clear this. My meteor is 4 years old an have no complaints, even with a dirt road. I do go through shear bolts the first snowstorm, then usually the base is set and less things in the way