3pt snowblowers

/ 3pt snowblowers #41  
I was searching craigslist again and found another blower. This one is a Erskine 72" 3pt with hyd chute, they are asking $1000. It needs a paint job, but they said it work great.

Does anyone know anything about Erskine? I checked their website and now they don't make any "standard" 3pt blowers, the 3pts that they make now are a "pull blower". But the one on craigslist is "standard" blower.

I haven't heard anything from my buddy at the JD dealer either, and I know that I won't be hearing from him until atleast Monday now. Glen is on the fire dept. and the town that the dealer and he also lives in got over 7" of rain in about 12 hrs. The entire downtown is flooded with 2-4ft of water. So I am sure he has more important things on his plate right now than getting me a price...

You're lucky that it wasn't cold enough for snow, you wouldn't be able to find your dealer!
Erskine is an excellent blower.

Rob

/ 3pt snowblowers #43  
I own a 68" meteor pull type blower for a l2800. I also have a 1 mile driveway and would not want to back up to clear this. My meteor is 4 years old an have no complaints, even with a dirt road. I do go through shear bolts the first snowstorm, then usually the base is set and less things in the way

A rear pull blower? I've heard of them but wonder how they work. As I said, I had a front blower and when we had heavy snow there was no way I could drive over it to plow it. In fact I got stuck a couple of times when I tried to plow forward with the blower off and raised. Maybe my tractor was smaller than yours. Do you run it with tire chains? That might work.

Rob

/ 3pt snowblowers #44  
A rear pull blower? I've heard of them but wonder how they work. As I said, I had a front blower and when we had heavy snow there was no way I could drive over it to plow it. In fact I got stuck a couple of times when I tried to plow forward with the blower off and raised. Maybe my tractor was smaller than yours. Do you run it with tire chains? That might work.

Rob

If his is like the one we had 40 years ago it is V- shaped with no infeed auger. They work OK with lighter snow falls and dryer powdery snow. Heavier wet snow packs to much and does not feed in very well. Went to twin auger 96" and the two miles of driveway was no longer an issue. As a farm kid you where always looking over your shoulder at equipment so this was a none issue. SCUT with HST does make looking over your shoulder and maintaining speed more difficult.

Roy

/ 3pt snowblowers #45  
If his is like the one we had 40 years ago it is V- shaped with no infeed auger. They work OK with lighter snow falls and dryer powdery snow. Heavier wet snow packs to much and does not feed in very well. Went to twin auger 96" and the two miles of driveway was no longer an issue. As a farm kid you where always looking over your shoulder at equipment so this was a none issue. SCUT with HST does make looking over your shoulder and maintaining speed more difficult.

Roy

I wish I could try out a rear blower but there's really now practical way for me to do it. It's not like most rear attachments. You pull them forward to work for the most part whether it's a bush hog, tiller, middle buster, etc. The blower works going backwards all the time and you have to watch the side of the road or in my case you'll go into the culvert.

I would think HST would be easier going in reverse. You set the cruse and you don't need a foot on the pedal. On my tractor with the auto type cruse you can sit there and change the speed with the push of a button. You can even set the maximum speed point when the pedal is depressed fully.

Rob

/ 3pt snowblowers #46  
I have been snowblowing for years. Always a walk-behind unit where as this year I have a 3pt. blower off the back of my tractor.

I would think anyone with blowing experience knows enough to clear any and all debris from the areas to be blown. That's a no brainer.

The wind will blow at you from time to time no matter with a front or rear blower. For the most part, I know at my place the wind will either be blowing nrthwest or northeast....therefore, I blow accordingly. One way to overcome this issue is to adjust your deflector lower to the ground. Blowing snow high into the air doesn't place the snow where you want it and you will get more blow back.

I would think that blowing snow with a rear-mount blower cruise control would be an absolute "must have" if the tractor is hydrostatic.

IMO, the best set-up for snow would be a blower out back and a bucket up front. That's what I will have this year and I am confident that the tractor will fight back any storm that mother-nature throws at it.

I love the snow and there is nothing more pleasurable than to be right in it only to go inside to a warm fire, a foot stool and TBN.!!:thumbsup:

/ 3pt snowblowers #47  
I have been snowblowing for years. Always a walk-behind unit where as this year I have a 3pt. blower off the back of my tractor.

I would think anyone with blowing experience knows enough to clear any and all debris from the areas to be blown. That's a no brainer.

The wind will blow at you from time to time no matter with a front or rear blower. For the most part, I know at my place the wind will either be blowing nrthwest or northeast....therefore, I blow accordingly. One way to overcome this issue is to adjust your deflector lower to the ground. Blowing snow high into the air doesn't place the snow where you want it and you will get more blow back.

I would think that blowing snow with a rear-mount blower cruise control would be an absolute "must have" if the tractor is hydrostatic.

IMO, the best set-up for snow would be a blower out back and a bucket up front. That's what I will have this year and I am confident that the tractor will fight back any storm that mother-nature throws at it.

I love the snow and there is nothing more pleasurable than to be right in it only to go inside to a warm fire, a foot stool and TBN.!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the input JDGG!

/ 3pt snowblowers #48  
Michigan Iron & Equipment: Kioti Dealer

This set up has intrigued me, for those of us that do not have a mid mount pto.
I've never really liked the Erskine set up. Just having a drive shaft from the rear to the front, never liked it.

Talked to MI and E , I think they got a good set up. I have a 7 1/2 ft Lucknow blower. This width would be pushing the hydralic pump, but it's possible. They say it's a quiet running rig.

Just dreamin', :thumbsup:

/ 3pt snowblowers #49  
Michigan Iron & Equipment: Kioti Dealer

This set up has intrigued me, for those of us that do not have a mid mount pto.
I've never really liked the Erskine set up. Just having a drive shaft from the rear to the front, never liked it.

Talked to MI and E , I think they got a good set up. I have a 7 1/2 ft Lucknow blower. This width would be pushing the hydralic pump, but it's possible. They say it's a quiet running rig.

Just dreamin', :thumbsup:

I know it's the only way to go if you want a front blower and don't have the mid PTO but the trouble is you lose an implements on the front or back depending whether you have a front or rear blower.

/ 3pt snowblowers

I am with you on this for sure! I figure that my L3600GST with full cab, equiped with my 84" 1.25 cuyd snow bucket and a 72" (or so) blower on the 3pt should be an all most unstoppable combo. Now just to find the blower... I called a couple times on the Erskine but there was answer, so hopefully today I can get ahold of the owner.