Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #31  
I checked and none of the holes were misformed at all. I also eyeballed the entire lip (they had a rolled edge) of the pan and there was no obvious issues that i saw

As of today I had no more leaks at all.. Which is a good thing..

Brian

Glad to hear you got it no leak is definitely a good thing! :thumbsup:

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #32  
I have a 97 Dodge/Cummins 2500 with the 47RE. I've had the trans pan off at least 10 times and used the same rubber OEM reusable gasket with no leaks.

I always wiped everything clean and torqued the bolts.

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #33  
I have a 97 Dodge/Cummins 2500 with the 47RE. I've had the trans pan off at least 10 times and used the same rubber OEM reusable gasket with no leaks.

I always wiped everything clean and torqued the bolts.

I just have to ask-why would the pan need to come off at least 10 times?

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #34  
wasn't it the late 90's hd dodge's that went thru input shafts pretty quick?

soundguy

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV
I just have to ask-why would the pan need to come off at least 10 times?

One thought - The OEM pan does not come with a drain valve - so if you wanted to drain/refill the transmission you would have to drop that pan.

I added a B&M drain valve to mine which makes dropping the pan less messier..

brian

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #36  
How many times to drop the pan? I used to drop it about every 30k miles, as it only drains a few quarts each time. I did not trust dealer transmission flushes, which use a pumped cleaner thru the system. I like fresh clean fluid in my transmissions, they tend to last longer. Jy.

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #37  
and you had to do it 10x for the valve? ;)

soundguy

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #38  
One thought - The OEM pan does not come with a drain valve - so if you wanted to drain/refill the transmission you would have to drop that pan.

I added a B&M drain valve to mine which makes dropping the pan less messier..

brian

Yeah that is an explanation that makes sense possibly he is diligent about changing oil on a regular basis or had a lot of trouble with that trans is what I am thinking it doesn't matter I was just curious?

I have a 3 gallon suction container that will suck the oil out thru the dipstick of a motor or trans w/o taking the pan off that I occasionally use.

I also drill a 1/2" hole in trany pans and use a 1/2" fine thread bolt about 3/4" long and spot weld a nut inside the pan and use an engine drain plug gasket on the bolt when I want to add a drain works great pretty inexpensive too probably similar to B&M I dont know?

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV
<deleted text>

I also drill a 1/2" hole in trany pans and use a 1/2" fine thread bolt about 3/4" long and spot weld a nut inside the pan and use an engine drain plug gasket on the bolt when I want to add a drain works great pretty inexpensive too probably similar to B&M I dont know?

I was having issues with the inner drain bolt (1/8 NPT) leaking on the B&M set up.. When I had the pan off I realized the shop was able to weld the bolt inside the pan to the pan (i asked them to but they never said if they were able to) .. I am trying to figure out what size that inside bolt is so I could replace the outside bolts with a drain plug instead of the dual bolt set up... IF that makes sense..

Amazon.com: B&M 80250 Automatic Transmission Universal Drain Plug Kit: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more

Brian

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #40  
Brian, after looking at that B&M drain my 1/2" bolt drain will work better than that setup I guarantee it and it wont hang down so far either plus pipe thread has to be sealed with either tape or dope both can be bad for internal workings.

You might give that some consideration, looks like the hole may need drilled bigger but that's easy.

If they didn't weld the inner nut you will have to pull the pan anyway to fix it right. hth