What do you do with used oil filters?

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #21  
Just call your county or local dump and ask them what to do with used filters.

DEWFPO

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #22  
Just wondering, are any of the land fills lined in any of your areas, or does the trash just get dumped on the ground and then covered up?

It is my understanding that many are lined with an almost impermeable clay.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #23  
Don't throw them in the trash if you can avoid it. Please try and find an oil filter recylcling place. Like Egon, we have them here. If you don't, I guess I don't know what to say (although I have burned them and that works pretty good, they are basically incinerated).

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #24  
I was changing the oil on my Nissan Titan today before dinner and got to thinking there has to be a better way to deal with used oil filters. I have been just wrapping them up in a WalMart bag after they drain and throwing them in the trash. From time to time they leak out and make a mess.

1* So what are you guys doing?

I figured it up and I am doing about 40 oil changes a year at home in my equipment and the 3 main customers equipment I take care of and about another 40 on the road, mainly boats at the marina. I recycle every drop of oil in 5 gallon buckets with tops and pour spouts and 1 gallon oil jugs. I mainly give it to the guy at the local Mom and Pop Gas Station. He sells it. But I also take it to Auto Zone and other parts stores from time to time. It just seems there has to be a better way to deal with filters.

Not only do I throw away about 75 to 80 oil filters per year but also about 25 or so spin on fuel filters, fuel water separators, and hydraulic filters.

Chris
1*I toss them in the burn barrel.

I have not seen any around here. Most of the local Hill Billys just burn them in the fire pit.
2*Guess its no worse than me throwing them in the trash.

If I could find someone to take them I would build a drain rig. I have the grate out of a old gas grill that would work perfect. I would have my Sheet Metal buddy build a drip pan that had a slight drop to one corner. I could put a drain on that corner with a hose leading down to a jug to catch the oil that drains and mount it up on the wall. Something big enough to hold 10 filters would be big enough for me. Once they drained for a couple weeks I would toss them in a 5 gallon bucket and once that was filled haul them off to the recycle if there was one????
Chris
2* Well at least it's less messy.

3*I remove the gasket, toss them into my waste paper when I burn and pull them out later to go with mixed scrap. Not the best solution but better than throwing them in the trash with oil residue in them IMHO.
3*I do about the same after I've burned them in the trash barrel except i put them in the reg. trash pick up when ever i clean up the trash can

4*Similar I toss the gasket, let the oil drain in to my waste oil drum, then burn
out the filter and glue in the burn pile the remaining steel goes to the scrap
yard with the other scrap.

My used oil goes to my local implement dealer as they have a waste oil
burner for their shop.
4*About the way i do it also.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #25  
Up here we have a hazardous waste disposal sites for such items.:D

US EPA dealt w/ used oil filters years ago when they decided that used motor oil is NOT hazardous waste.

The rule is drain for 24 hours and throw them out with your residential waste [trash]...

They feel the 24 hours drains enough oil from the filter reducing the threat to a modern landfill.

Shops with a sufficient amount of used filters can benefit from a crusher and metal recycling.

Here is a quote from the metal recycling web site, please note the 'hot drain' is for commercial users, household users need to drain 'all free flowing oil'........

RECYCLING USED OIL FILTERS
AT THE SHOP
Used oil filters are recyclable because they’re made of steel, North A m e r i c a ’s number one recycled
material. They are being recycled today into new steel products, such as cans, cars, appliances and
construction materials. Recycling all the filters sold annually in the United States would result in the
recovery of about 160,000 tons of steel, or enough steel to make 16 new stadiums the size of
A t l a n t a ’s Olympic Stadium.
Federal Guidelines for Used Oil Filters
While most used oil filters were just thrown in the trash a short time ago, today we know they’re
recyclable. Some states have banned used oil filters from the landfill while others have placed
restrictions on how they can be discarded. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA )
requires used oil filters be drained of all free-flowing oil before they are discarded or recycled. Most
states follow federal requirements for used oil filter disposal. Currently, U.S. manufactured oil filters
are exempt from hazardous waste regulation if the oil filter is:
• punctured through the dome end or anti-drain
back valve and hot-drained; or
• hot-drained and crushed; or
• hot-drained and dismantled; or
• hot-drained using an equivalent method
to remove used oil.
What is hot-draining?
Hot-draining is defined as draining the oil filter at or near-engine operating temperature but above 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
In other words, remove the filter from the engine while it is still warm, then puncture or crush and drain the filter. The EPA
recommends hot-draining for a minimum of 12 hours, although specific state requirements may vary. Most of the
oil is removed from the filter during hot draining.
WARNING: Use caution when hot-draining filters to avoid being burned. Protective equipment such
as safety glasses and gloves should be worn to prevent injury.
Finding Specific State Information
To find out the specific requirements for generators, collectors and processors for your state, call the Used Filter
Recycling Hotline at 1-800-99-FILTER (993-4583). The Used Filter Recycling Hotline is sponsored by the Filter
Manufacturers Council and administered by the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association (MEMA) Environmental
Institute. Callers to the hotline receive an easy-to-read summary of their state’s filter management requirements; a list of
companies in their area that transport, process and recycle used oil filters; and a brochure entitled “How to Choose a Filter
Management Service.”
Steps to Recycling Oil Filters
The three steps to recycling used filters are:
• collection and transportation
• p r o c e s s i n g
• recycling by a steel mill into new steel
If your business changes oil commercially, it is a good idea to voluntarily collect used oil filters from Do-It-Yo u r s e l f e r s
( D I Yers). Businesses currently collecting used oil filters include auto parts stores, quick lubes, and other service outlets. A s
state agencies see businesses voluntarily collecting filters, there will be less need for mandatory regulations. In addition,
accepting used oil filters from DIYers can be used as a tool to market your business. Studies have shown consumers are
more likely to patronize businesses that offer sound environmental management practices. Before collecting used filters,
you should arrange for a special waste collection company to pick them up from your shop. A l t e r n a t i v e l y, if you crush them
with your own on-site equipment, you can take them to a ferrous scrap processor. Once the filters are processed, they are
sent to a steel mill or foundry. Some steel mills produce flat rolled steel products by combining scrap products and hot
metal from iron ore to make products such as steel cans, cars, and appliances, while others use virtually 100 percent scrap
to make products such as rebar and I-beams. For a list of filter management companies that serve your area for used oil
filters, call the Used Filter Recycling Hotline: 1 - 8 0 0 - 9 9 - F I LTER (993-4583).

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #26  
Wis Bang greatest answer yet. class dismissed. LOL zman :cool:

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #27  
Just wondering, are any of the land fills lined in any of your areas, or does the trash just get dumped on the ground and then covered up?

I'm pretty sure there is no longer any open dumping in the US without a liner. That has got to be illegal...

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #28  
A clay liner is sure to help some but not sure it is a perfect seal.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #29  
A clay liner is sure to help some but not sure it is a perfect seal.
Around here they use several layers of alternating materials like clay, and then a really thick rubber liner of some sort. And then they build wells to catch all the "goo" that leaks out and dispose of it properly. They constantly monitor the soil and groundwater around the landfill, and if something is funny, they are ready for a multi-million dollar clean up. For that matter they also extract the gasses and make electricity from it...

Personally I think the only reason an oil filter is bad for a modern landfill is because it can cost the owner of the landfill money if something leaks. It's not really an environmental hazard, it WILL get cleaned up if it spills. I'm sure the EPA keeps close watch on all landfills in the country...

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #30  
zmoz that is good to know. Without doubt in my mind millions gallons of used motor oil and millions of pounds of lead go the dumps each year so every layer of protection is good if it works as you state.:thumbsup: