What do you do with used oil filters?

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #41  
I've burned mine. Putting them in a wood stove is the best idea for getting heat value and getting rid of the oil. You'll end up with just a little bit of scrap metal that can be recycled.

Ralph

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #42  
I toss mine in the trash...The trash is sold per lb and then BURNED...I am saving someone money!!!

That is a good point, a good portion of our trash gets burned before they bury it. They make electricity out of it and sell it for a premium. You're just donating fuel to them when you throw out an oil filter! (I'll bet they have a magnet for pulling out the leftover metal too)

The majority of the waste oil that you "recycle" gets burned, either in shop heaters, or very often large ships will have more than one type of fuel onboard - something clean for when they're in controlled waters, something like dirty used oil for when they're out to sea where there are no regulations. The market for re-refined motor oil is tiny...and I can't blame people. No thanks...

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #44  
You can recycle them in Minn, but it doesn't appear to be the case in Wis. Minn state law requires all places that do oil changes to accept oil and filters from the DIY crowd. Wis doesn't so it is harder to find places that will. But I live on the border, so I just drop them off in Minn. So I just save them and turn them in when I take a batch of oil in. Some places will charge you a buck each, but I found a place that doesn't so I go there. Nobody charges for the oil.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #46  
Gee, we're back to 1955 again!

I was thinking the same thing. NOt as far back as the 50's, but the old 1980 mercedes 300D (deisel) had a paper element type filter in it. You just pulled off two 12mm nuts and pulled the top of and pulled out the paper element and replaced an oring on that cover and bolted it back on. No crawling under the vehicle and hand in percarious manners , then to tight so you have to go get a filter wrench to take it off.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #47  
I think most of this used oil is burned as a fuel and not truly recycled as you may think. I guess it still costs too much to re-refine it.

it's probably not as common down your way, but up here a lot of garages have waste oil burners in them. since you have to heat your shop in the winter months, it ends up being a lot cheaper for some of them to go that route than pay $2.50-$3.50 for heating oil. i'm not talking just automobile repair shops either - there are a lot of people who own garages to support their own trucks and heavy equipment and they generate a lot of waste oil each year. some of them will even buy waste oil. i remember a a few years ago a friend with a small shop mentioning that he sold the waste oil from customer's cars at $0.50/gal.

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #48  
If you call your oil "waste oil" then it IS hazardous waste. If you call your oil "used oil" then it IS NOT a hazardous waste. Used oil can be burned as fuel or sold.... It's a commodity. Waste oil has to be treated as hazardous waste, you can't legally store or transport without proper licenses...AND it costs a fortune to dispose.

All you small shop owners, make sure your oil storage drums say used oil, otherwise you could be in trouble if the wrong people see it.

I know it's crazy...

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #49  
They are just scrap metal if one could figure out how to remove the media.

Any good low cost ideas on how to cut the can off of the filter base?:thumbsup:

/ What do you do with used oil filters? #50  
saws all. big tubing cutter. band saw. dremmel.