block heater

/ block heater #1  

Kitz

Silver Member
Tractor
IH 244
Hi All Just Wondering How Long You Guys Keep Your Block Heaters Plugged In I Have A International Tractor That I Just Got And Thought I Would Plug It In To Make Sure It Worked When I Plugged It In It Started To Make A Sizzling Sound Which I dont Know If Thats Normal Or Not But Appeared To Heat Up So I Left It On For A Couple Hours And When I Checked It The Valve Cover Was Warm and Antifreeze Was Warm Is That All The Longer It Takes To Heat Up Temp Outdoors Was Around 28 F Thanks For The Help

/ block heater #2  
I have a block heater in my Kioti... but I don't have power where I keep it so I have never plugged it in.. starts fine down to -5dF. Below that... I don't go out.

/ block heater #3  
Hi All Just Wondering How Long You Guys Keep Your Block Heaters Plugged In I Have A International Tractor That I Just Got And Thought I Would Plug It In To Make Sure It Worked When I Plugged It In It Started To Make A Sizzling Sound Which I dont Know If Thats Normal Or Not But Appeared To Heat Up So I Left It On For A Couple Hours And When I Checked It The Valve Cover Was Warm and Antifreeze Was Warm Is That All The Longer It Takes To Heat Up Temp Outdoors Was Around 28 F Thanks For The Help

When I plug my MF1532, in 2 hours it is also warm enough to start very easier, cost for 2 hours @ 400watts is almost $0.11. ( 11 cents per 1000 watts consumed at our electricial rates) cheaper than allowing the diesel to run longer while warming up.

/ block heater #4  
The sizzling sound is normal. Lots of us wait and listen for it as it lets us know the heater is working.:)

Length of time will depend on the wattage of the heater, the mass of the radiator fluid and block as well as ambient temperature and the effect the wind may have on it if parked outside.:D

/ block heater #5  
Just used mine this morning, for the first time this year. NICE!!

Only had it on for 90 minutes, as it's only 28 F, not frigid or anything, but the engine "sounds" warmed up as soon as it fires. Believer.

/ block heater #6  
Here in Manitoba when it gets down to -25c or lower I normally have my machines plugged in for about two hours prior to starting. Any longer than that and it's just a waste of power.

The exceptions are when it's around -35 to -40c and stormy I do tend to leave them plugged in all night just so that I don't have to get up earlier than necessary to plug them in. One of these days I'm going to put a switch in the house connected to the line for the Car, truck, van and the Kubota. It's hard to get back to sleep at four in the morning after jack frost has been nipping at your nose.

I also use battery warmers and 0-40 oil in all of my engines, it really helps.

/ block heater #7  
I just put a timer switch on ours, dont have to go out in the cold or get up that way. The little bit of electricity it uses more than makes up for it in no warm up time, heater works straight off, and warm oil is splashing around immediatly.
Rick

Each vehicle is different, wife's subaru only takes half an hour duramax and kubota a couple.

/ block heater #8  
I have the tractor outlet switched from inside my closet as I don't like going out b4 I have had my coffee. LOL
Generally I give it 1-1 1/2 hour of heat.
Next I plan to use an old car interior warmer to pre heat the tractor cabin.
Hey, I need pre heat also!

Oh. I have a small 15 watt bulb wired with the block heater so that I am sure that it is actually working. (Been fooled once or twice)

/ block heater #9  
My snow clearing tracror is plugged in 24 hours a day for call outs all winter but the others usually we plug them in the night before for next day start !

/ block heater #10  
I have and use my block heater. Works great.

Remember even when the oil/block is warmed you still need to make sure and let it run to warm the hydro fluid.