Transmission Flush

/ Transmission Flush #91  
I just performed the first pan off svc on my 97 f150 with about 180k miles. All other services were flushes. The fluid had about 50k miles on it. There was not much debris in the pan but the filter was black. I will svc the trans this way from now on. It saved me about $100. I used castrol high mileage mercon 5qts. I will say I noticed better performance after the svc. The condition of the filter had me concerned. It's like the flush pulled debris from the pan and lodged it in the filter. This was an easy task for someone with basic mechanic skills. The filter and fluid cost about $45. I am not saying the flush did not work. Heck, I have 180k on the original trans. Is the ford 4R70W known to be a solid trans?

/ Transmission Flush #92  
Wow I read the whole thread and unfortunately certain posts said the same thing over and over. One should do what they feel is the best after becoming educated on all possible options.
I certainly take everything I read with a grain of salt including manufacturers recommendations. For example, I change my oil more often than 7500 miles as spelled in the owners manual. Manufactures don't AlWAYS have the best advice, remember Ford's recommended tire pressures for the Explorer that killed hundreds? I also never do anything just because that is the way it has always been done or I would never improve. Processes and technology improves every minute I live. I am not against or resisting "change".............or "flush". LMAO :)

/ Transmission Flush #93  
I just performed the first pan off svc on my 97 f150 with about 180k miles. All other services were flushes. The fluid had about 50k miles on it. There was not much debris in the pan but the filter was black. I will svc the trans this way from now on. It saved me about $100. I used castrol high mileage mercon 5qts. I will say I noticed better performance after the svc. The condition of the filter had me concerned. It's like the flush pulled debris from the pan and lodged it in the filter. This was an easy task for someone with basic mechanic skills. The filter and fluid cost about $45. I am not saying the flush did not work. Heck, I have 180k on the original trans. Is the ford 4R70W known to be a solid trans?

deerefan I think your example is evidence a power flush kicks up the mud in the pan. The 'bucket' method where one uses the transmission pump to push the old fluid out through the torque converter, transmission cooler and out the return line opening into the bucket leaves the mud in the bottom of the pan and out of the filter.

The local Ford dealer does drop the pan every other flush so the filter is replaced.

/ Transmission Flush #94  
deerefan I think your example is evidence a power flush kicks up the mud in the pan. The 'bucket' method where one uses the transmission pump to push the old fluid out through the torque converter, transmission cooler and out the return line opening into the bucket leaves the mud in the bottom of the pan and out of the filter.

The local Ford dealer does drop the pan every other flush so the filter is replaced.

It is a '97 too...Most of the new trucks don't have filters anymore, just screens ...Including fuel filters. I would go old school pan-drop on pre-2000 stuff.

/ Transmission Flush #95  
A little off topic Brokenot, but to reply to your last post, information in the internet is typically taken with a grain of salt by most folks. As well as it should be.

I agree that some folks take the information and advice they see posted on the 'net with a grain of salt, but then again a whole lot of 'em don't.

There's this really absurd notion that "finding out" something on the web is akin to being let in on the secret password, or shown the secret handshake. Suddenly, being "in on" whatever the big secret is trumps things like the ability to remain objective.

;)

/ Transmission Flush #96  
I can guarantee that I spend a lot more time repairing/re-doing things that have been done by owners

I can certainly believe that. I spent a lot of time repairing/rebuilding mechanics' air tools after they tried to fix them themselves.:laughing:

I agree that some folks take the information and advice they see posted on the 'net with a grain of salt, but then again a whole lot of 'em don't.

Yep, I'm one who does, but I guess you know that by now.:laughing: I do believe in going by the manufacturers' recommendations on things (but I change oil & filters more frequently than recommended), but occasionally the manufacturer makes mistakes, too. I could probably give you more examples than you'd want to read. How about a 1999 Kubota manual that called for CC/CD motor oil? Or the service manual for my '89 Chev. truck that said all 4 head lights would be on when you used high beam (GM changed the trucks, but didn't change the manuals). I agreed that Ford says to change the fluid, but doesn't say how, so you say that since it doesn't specifically say "flush" that shouldn't be done. The manual for IR231 impact wrenches shows exploded views and tells all about pulling the air motor out of the housing. But it does not tell you that it will be impossible to do on the majority of them unless you first heat the housing with something like a propane torch.

But I'll admit you've made me curious at least.:laughing: So this morning, I called another Ford dealer's service department (biggest in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area; 5 dealerships, and I used to use them). They only machine flush. Then I called an independent chain; the only one for which AAA gurantees any repairs made for their members. They only machine flush. So then I called another independent chain which has a good reputation in the area. That guy said there are different recommendations for different models, but for my '02 Crown Vic, it could be done either way, but his personal preference is to drop the pan.

You don't suppose there could actually be more than one "right" way, do you?:laughing:

/ Transmission Flush #97  
Is the ford 4R70W known to be a solid trans?

I don't think its known to be a problematic transmission, but it can be destroyed. I had one in my 2001 F150, and found it to be the best part of the truck. It shifted just as smooth an positively at 120K miles, as the day I bought it new. I remember reading on a few forums that people had troubles with them, but usually they would admit that the transmission had never been serviced.

/ Transmission Flush #98  
I don't think its known to be a problematic transmission, but it can be destroyed. I had one in my 2001 F150, and found it to be the best part of the truck. It shifted just as smooth an positively at 120K miles, as the day I bought it new. I remember reading on a few forums that people had troubles with them, but usually they would admit that the transmission had never been serviced.

I have noticed a big difference since I serviced it. It was holding gears a little long and slow to downshift. Now, it performs much better. All I ever did before was get it flushed. This is the first time I dropped the pan and changed the filter. The filter I removed was very dirty, probably causing the poor performance.

/ Transmission Flush #99  
Glad to hear it is shifting better. New ATF seems to always make them shift better.

/ Transmission Flush #100  
Glad to hear it is shifting better. New ATF seems to always make them shift better

You intentionally ignored this part of his post, highlighted in red:

I have noticed a big difference since I serviced it. It was holding gears a little long and slow to downshift. Now, it performs much better. All I ever did before was get it flushed. This is the first time I dropped the pan and changed the filter. The filter I removed was very dirty, probably causing the poor performance

So back there on those posted service manual scans a couple of pages ago where it says to replace the filter, (and while you're in there you should also inspect this or that), it's *almost* as if the manufacturer knows what they're talking about when it comes to fluid changing procedures at recommended intervals.

Too easy, couldn't resist.

:D