Transmission Flush

/ Transmission Flush #81  
I did not read the whole thing Just the beginning. That much mileage with no prior servicing you are risking just rebuilding the tranny. I know no one that would do a service on that vehicle with no prior flush OR dropping and cleaning the magnets. I would at least keep half the original fluid and reuse if you are that set on doing this because the used fluid is not as hard on it as the new would be.

Is there a reason you feel you need to do this?

Again sorry I just could not bear to read through the entire thread

I wouldn't read this whole thing either:D

/ Transmission Flush #82  
Oddly enough, GM and Ford fights make more sense to me than this does.

On that note...While peeking around corners at Disney, they have the biggest fleet of Chevy trucks I've ever seen:D...Sorry, couldn't help it...True though.

I agree with you on the tranny argument. Crazy.

As for Disney using GM trucks. Makes sense, its the land of make believe. :laughing:

Chris

/ Transmission Flush #83  
I agree with you on the tranny argument. Crazy.

As for Disney using GM trucks. Makes sense, its the land of make believe. :laughing:

Chris

Ohhhhhhhh...Got me on that.:D

/ Transmission Flush #86  
Broke, since you have the manual. How much trans fluid does it tell you to change?

That's a good one. Take a peek at the service manual scans that were posted. One the second page of the scans posted, it says how much fluid there will be to replace if the pan is dropped. It also says how much will need to be added if the entire trans and torque converter were empty.

So I guess basically what it's saying is that....oddly enough....the manufacturer is very aware of how much fluid gets changed via the recommended procedure done at the recommended interval.

It's weird how the internet doesn't need to be consulted in order to learn these "secrets" they don't want you to know.:p

Now that would really be a silly waste of my time, since I'm not the one getting excited or upset because people won't do it my way. But if you'd like to do that, I'll be glad to give you the dealer's name.

I'm not going to contact the dealer you put so much trust in, because doing so wouldn't do me any good. Now, on the other hand, if you presented them with something and were standing there yourself to witness the look on their faces, well....

;)

/ Transmission Flush #87  
I'm not going to contact the dealer you put so much trust in, because doing so wouldn't do me any good.

Well, it would do you more good that it would do me.:laughing: After all, I'm happy with what the dealer and I are doing, and have no objections whatever to you doing as you please. You're the one who's unhappy about it.:laughing::laughing:

/ Transmission Flush #88  
You're the one who's unhappy about it

For the last, (and hopefully FINAL), time, I'm not "unhappy" about whatever anyone chooses to do with their own vehicle.

What I'm concerned about, are the folks that might stumble upon threads like this while searching for information on the topic. Time and time again, the sheer "volume" of posts implying this or that, tend to overwhelm the accurate posts made by one or two people. This particular situation aside, I can guarantee that I spend a lot more time repairing/re-doing things that have been done by owners when they've chosen to ignore a manufacturer's recommendation, and instead go with what "some guy told me".

The point you raised in this quote intrigues me:

And I've known and trusted them a lot longer than I've known you

What I don't get, (and never will quite frankly), is that a lot of people go looking for information on topics and when they find something out there on the web that they're inclined for some reason to agree with, then they *automatically* trust that information and the person that provided it. That person suddenly isn't some random stranger....they're "trustworthy". Why? Often times, the information they've provided is incomplete, wrongly interpreted, or.....not even there. It just cracks me up that one guy says he read a study done in a lab years ago, for instance....and we never get to see it. But then, a few posts later, somebody refers to that alleged study. Because, well...it's now "factual".

Take a few minutes and read every post I've made in this thread. I haven't asked you to trust me, I've been wondering aloud why you wouldn't trust the manufacturer that built the vehicle in the first place.

So there you go.

:thumbsup:

/ Transmission Flush #89  
Trust you local mechanic, plain and simple.

Chris

/ Transmission Flush #90  
A little off topic Brokenot, but to reply to your last post, information in the internet is typically taken with a grain of salt by most folks. As well as it should be. There is alot of false infor and unsubstantiated claims out there. Take Wikipedia for example. Personally I trust very little of it, but it usually makes for an interesting read!