private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #61  
The trailer counts.

It is GVWR/GCWR/GVW. Which ever is higher.

Yes, i forgot they publish gcvw's to use, you caught me about a second after i back peddled and edited my post lol! But I still dont believe the truck and boat would fall in if it werent in commercial use.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #62  
Check out the section that is split by page 7 and 8.

Yeah, I see that, so looks like for intrastate my 12,500 GVW truck by itself would be exempt, but if I couple one of my 10,000 pound trailers I'd be over.

:confused2: JB :confused2:

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #63  
just checking in. I tend to watch subjects like this and see what's going on every 6 months.

To be clear, what i'm asking about is for those of you that are non CDL, have a truck and a trailer, and are non comercial and private, hauling your own stuff, not for hire.. etc, under 26k#

any of you guys having any dot trouble or involvement? especially the 1 ton crowd which are possible hauling goosenecks that might at first glance look comercial. ie.. dually with gn and tractor?

so far I've had no challanges by dot or weigh stations even out of state. at least the southeast anyway.. fl, al, ms, ga, tx etc.

never stopped at a weight station, and have passed plenty with dot parked around it.. have seen them shoot out and pull other over.. so kow they are manned and looking.

anyone had any issues?

soundguy

Soundguy -

Only been stopped 1 time in the last 8 years in MI by an Evil Knievel MSP when I was coming back from an auction. He wasn't questioning my weight, just all the assorted goodies from the auction crammed on my 16' trailer. No tickets. I also have a 30' gooseneck with my 1 ton, and have recently traveled over MI, OH, NY, VT, MA, and PA with numerous loads with no problems. (thus far)
I don't even look at weigh stations on the way by.
But, in my mind I'm thinking they will start cracking down on these "combos" for more revenue, so I might dig into Ohio's rules a bit more since I just moved there.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement
But does that mean all vehicles within the scope of the document (commercial) or all vehicles in general. If these questions are from a motor carrier perspective, "all" would be expected. But in the bigger picture, it doesn't seem to make sense. Weigh stations would have lines a mile long because every truck and suv with a trailer fits that.

I would go right past with my truck/trailer without hesitating.

so far that's what I've been doing.. in the 6 southern states i tool around in .. I go past.. so far no stops .. yet. my stuff on my trailer, not for hire, not going to make money or delieveries or back hauls.. just driving me from point a to point B.. etc, and under 26001.

soundguy

Soundguy -

Only been stopped 1 time in the last 8 years in MI by an Evil Knievel MSP when I was coming back from an auction. He wasn't questioning my weight, just all the assorted goodies from the auction crammed on my 16' trailer. No tickets. I also have a 30' gooseneck with my 1 ton, and have recently traveled over MI, OH, NY, VT, MA, and PA with numerous loads with no problems. (thus far)
I don't even look at weigh stations on the way by.
But, in my mind I'm thinking they will start cracking down on these "combos" for more revenue, so I might dig into Ohio's rules a bit more since I just moved there.

the fact that this has generated 7 pages of differing opinions and a mishmash of regs that seemingly contradict each other in some places due to lack of clarity.. plus the fact that 3 leo's i've talked to had 3 different opinions.. it makes you really wonder...

soundguy

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #66  
Any vehicle registered over 10k in KY commercial or personal requires DOT numbers which is why there are so many shiny duallies with farm tags.

With farm tags, if you go over 26k you are supposed to have DOT numbers also even for intrastate use.

Re: personal vs commercial. I am not advising anyone to break the law nor saying that I condone it. Use a little common sense though. Do what you figure you can pay for. If you do get popped with your show rigs or race cars, horses, whatever, don't admit to any competition involving trophies, money, etc. It is all just for fun.

Keep it low key, going down the road with a such and such racing team or whatever emblazoned across your rig is going to raise an eyebrow.

Lastly, tarps, darkness, Saturday and early Sunday will work in your favor.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #67  
This is an interesting thread. Nitpicking is key to this discussion sadly - not the fault of the nitpickers, the fault of the people who draft the regs.

So putting my lawyer hat on, and taking into account that a) not my field, b) haven't researched it, and c) haven't practiced law in a good long time...

Most of the stuff cited does not apply to personal use. Depending on one's reading of the interstate commerce clause, it theoretically could, but then so could anything... that said, it's REALLY unlikely that true personal transportation would be counted as interstate commerce by the states.

I read the MD rule on 10k weight as applying only to the towing vehicle. ie my pickup has a GVWR of around 8k, it does not need to pull in, even though pulling a 10k trailer.

I'd guess the more you look like a commercial rig, the more you will get the opportunity to discuss this with LEOs... my current take is that I'm driving through MD after midnight, which is much less painful all around.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #68  
The trailer counts.

It is GVWR/GCWR/GVW. Which ever is higher.

Duffster, could you post the cite again? I think you posted it before, but I'm starting to lose track. The above doesn't make sense to me, but there's a pretty good shot at this point that I don't understand what it relates to.

I'm learning a lot from this board, as usual. Pretty much learned nothing from my attempt to read VDOT regs. Surprise.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #69  
Duffster, could you post the cite again? I think you posted it before, but I'm starting to lose track. The above doesn't make sense to me, but there's a pretty good shot at this point that I don't understand what it relates to.

I'm learning a lot from this board, as usual. Pretty much learned nothing from my attempt to read VDOT regs. Surprise.

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater;

Definitions. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

my current take is that I'm driving through MD after midnight, which is much less painful all around.

most of my out of state trips occur on holidays anyway.. and I ALWAYS leave so i can drive the first good chunk out of my area at night.. and yes.. that does seem to help.. :)

soundguy