private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #71  
Its really simple, you have your home states rules and definitions to abide by and USDOT rules to abide by.The definitions are clearly written by each state, read them. I can register my 1 ton in Texas for 16k and my 40' G/Nfor 20 k for gcwr of 36k and its good. My 1 ton truck weighs in at 8k empty, carry capacity at 6k at best.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #73  
Makes sense, but that seems to apply only to commercial, not private, from my read?

No, I am private but still fall under the regs.

"The occasional transportation of personal property" is exempt but what does occasional mean?

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #74  
For example in Tx, if your GWR or GCWR is over 26k, then you are under CDL...private, commercial whatever. If you are private not for hire you register that way, if for hire you register that way.
I believe farm tags limit is 54k in Tx, not sure on that yet as I have never been that route...will be doing that soon though.
You need to find out your home states regulations on weight regs and be prepaired.
If you are crossing state lines that involves USDOT regs, which the GWR or GCWR is 10,001 lbs for commercial or private carriers, so if you are hauling your tractor or whatever for a paying job..the regulations read"in furtherence of business".. just be prepared if a trooper pulls you over and does not believe "I'm going to uncle Daves place to help him out". Be prepared to prove in court. Just never know these days.
Best thing to do is read the Code Of Federal Regulations, do a search for CFR, find the Transportation Regs and read. That way you know the rules, not just hear say from a message board.
In my experience as a CDL driver and as a Supervisor of a small fleet of Commercial and non commercial trucks, having good equipment and having loads secured per the regulations( and yes there are regulations on how to tie down different loads) is 80 percent of the battle.
For example I have 1 F-650 with a 24' bed, its registered for a GWR of 25,900 lbs. Does not pull a trailer, does not go out of state. Is not required by Tx law to stop at weigh stations. This truck has been ran down by troopers at weigh stations on several occasions because it "looks" like a CDL truck after my drivers passed and open truck scale. Drivers given a hard time by the troopers, etc...anyways I have them stop at scales now and show the registration and they are waived on.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #75  
For example in Tx, if your GWR or GCWR is over 26k, then you are under CDL...private, commercial whatever.

I have been using this flowchart as evidence. Put a call in to Texas DPS for clarification 2x. Both times they told me that there is no question about it, GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more equals CDL. Depending on whether it's a single vehicle, bus, hazmat hauler, or truck trailer will determine class. This flowchart is simple and it is accurate according to the DPS office that I spoke with. I called the state headquarters and spoke to a supervisor who corrected a another employees remarks in an email that was sent to me.

TxDPS - CVE CDL Classifications (GVWR over 26,001 lbs)

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #77  
It isn't quite that simple, whether or not the trailer is over 10k has to be taken into account.

according to the flowchart and what I was told when I called the texas hwy patrol, it is the GCWR of both truck and trailer that puts you into CDL. I understand that interstate and intrastate are different but for Texas, that flowchart is what the state told me they go by. There would be an awful lot of CDL applications with all the 10k horse trailers, bobcat trailers, and dump trailers running around.
I know the rules are confusing and it is open to interpretation but when I tried to get them to let me take a CDL driver's test with a 13k rated F350 and a 12k trailer, they said it was not a CDL vehicle because my GCWR was under 26k