Finally Building my Backhoe

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #111  
I shear the boom pivot and the middle pin on the dipper.
Here is a video digging a ditch to my pond
YouTube - MVI 1768

I watched the first couple of minutes of the video. That's a nice hoe and I don't understand why you are shearing your dipper pin. The pivot is another matter. That one should be stout. Hopefully the tougher rod stock you picked up will give you better service. Your machine is a little bigger than the one I want to build, I think. How long are the boom and dipper?

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #112  
Iplayfarmer:
I hope I'm not using your thread too much before I start my own. I hope to know enough about the ins and outs of this site by then to manage stuff like posting pictures, etc. In the meantime I really appreciate the help and advice I'm getting from all of you.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #113  
I think it was originally built from CAD digger plans. The problem was that it was easy to flip it over when the boom was extended sideways and in general it was difficult to move it around. Therefore I added two wheels on the back. I think I am breaking the dipper pin when I try to turn the hoe sideways and hit some obstruction. The nice thing is that the hoe can get to places no other machine could go. In example in a steep ravine. I paid 2000 for it and it already paid for itself few times over. It dug numerous tree holes, numerous stumps and about 2000 feet of ditch to increase watershed for my pond etc.
I plan on retiring about a year from now and when I do I will completely rebuild the machine. Beef up all pins and reduce sloppiness.
I am on a business trip now therefore I can't measure the dimensions but I am pretty sure it can dig at least 6 ft deep.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe
Iplayfarmer:
I hope I'm not using your thread too much before I start my own. I hope to know enough about the ins and outs of this site by then to manage stuff like posting pictures, etc. In the meantime I really appreciate the help and advice I'm getting from all of you.

No worries. Having the additional questions, answers, and insights helps my project. I'm glad to have you in on this thread.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #115  
rcurrie:
I forgot to ask you earlier: are you getting cylinders and valves at PA, too? That's probably where I will get mine unless a local farmer decides to sell me a set of "markers" for their scrap value. First I'll have to make sure they extend far enough. How far along are you on your build?

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #116  
For mine I think steel brake lines might serve. Your thoughts?

I wouldn't use brake line tubing. Check with a Parker Store or other reputable hydraulics supply house for the proper steel tubing and fittings to braze or crimp on.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #117  
I wouldn't use brake line tubing. Check with a Parker Store or other reputable hydraulics supply house for the proper steel tubing and fittings to braze or crimp on.

That makes two thumbs down on the brake line idea. I'm convinced. I don't know as there are any Parker Stores around here but we have Princess Auto. I will go and make myself a pest till they tell me what will work!! I know they can make up hoses to order. The whole idea of using solid lines is to keep the clutter that hoses can become down to a minimum. The FEL's on both my other tractors are a perfect example. Thanks for the help.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #118  
No worries. Having the additional questions, answers, and insights helps my project. I'm glad to have you in on this thread.
Thanks. I don't like to make a nuisance of myself if I can help it.

That said, I have some questions about the program you are using for drawing your plans. 1) How is it available? 2) How computer - savvy does one have to be to use it? 3) Does it do calculations such as cylinder specs?

/ Finally Building my Backhoe
Thanks. I don't like to make a nuisance of myself if I can help it.

That said, I have some questions about the program you are using for drawing your plans. 1) How is it available? 2) How computer - savvy does one have to be to use it? 3) Does it do calculations such as cylinder specs?

It's Google Sketchup. It's free... Google SketchUp

To me it's more intuitive than CAD programs that I have tried. The nice thing about sketchup is that there is a lot of free help on youtube and other places on the web... including TBN. I haven't tried calculations. It may be built into the program or it may be a part of some of the plugins that are available for Sketchup.

It's worth a try. It's free, so you're not out much if you end up not liking it.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #120  
The whole idea of using solid lines is to keep the clutter that hoses can become down to a minimum. The FEL's on both my other tractors are a perfect example. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome, and the other nice thing about hardlines is they take up less space, which is related to your desire to reduce hose clutter.