Finally Building my Backhoe

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #121  
You're welcome, and the other nice thing about hardlines is they take up less space, which is related to your desire to reduce hose clutter.

Exactly! And I guess there's a slight difference between the meaning of "solid" and "hard" lines, chuckle. Where the clutter gets really bad is where the lines come together into that array of from four to six valves. On my build, that's where the biggest issue with clutter will be.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #122  
It's Google Sketchup. It's free... Google SketchUp

To me it's more intuitive than CAD programs that I have tried. The nice thing about sketchup is that there is a lot of free help on youtube and other places on the web... including TBN. I haven't tried calculations. It may be built into the program or it may be a part of some of the plugins that are available for Sketchup.

It's worth a try. It's free, so you're not out much if you end up not liking it.

I had a look at SketchUp last night. Neat program! However, I'm more a paper, pencil, and ruler or "got it in my head" kinda guy at this point. SketchUp is going to take a bit of study and practice before I can use it. I'll probably use it when I plan out a summer shop area in the Quonset. Thanks for the link!

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #123  
I got my boom, stick and bucket cylinders from Princess auto, outrigger cyls are used tie rod cyls from farmer brother inlaw. I haven't got a valve yet but I am going to try to find a joystick valve when I do.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #124  
i didn`t have a chance to see all the other posts on this thread, i`m building a loader for my tractor now. i saw in your pic. of your bucket you have a little red tool box on your floor and i have the same one, except i stepped on mine and broke the lid off. if you use a 7018 rod it is a hydrogen rod and it makes a real strong weld. i`m not a professional welder either, that`s why they make grinders.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #125  
Iplayfarmer & mjncad:

I took a closer look at a couple of junkers I have on the yard. One is a moco that shredded an expensive belt and the other is a bale loader that the previous owner left behind. Lo and behold, they each have fairly long runs of "hardline". The lines on the moco are slightly smaller than those on the bale loader, but I wonder about the system pressure they were designed for. The moco is single acting and the bale loader looks like it is double acting. Incidentally, the hydraulic system is mostly intact on the bale loader and I wonder if the PTO driven pump from it could be mounted to my tractor and run the backhoe with it. I have plans for the single acting pump too, but that wont be for this project.

So what do you think? Would the lines from the mower/conditioner handle the pressure? I will have to remove the pump and test the output. I may have to check with the manufacturer of the machine and see if they can provide any info. Too bad the cylinders on the loader are too big and long. I'll hang onto them anyway. They look to be the right size for the FEL on my Oliver 550.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #126  
I got my boom, stick and bucket cylinders from Princess auto, outrigger cyls are used tie rod cyls from farmer brother inlaw. I haven't got a valve yet but I am going to try to find a joystick valve when I do.
When you refer to your backhoe as "subframe" is that the same as a tow-able? If it is then what you and I are building could be roughly the same size. How far do the cylinders you picked up at PA extend? I can still tinker with the plans for mine to allow for the amount of extension on the cylinders I finally use.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #127  
When you refer to your backhoe as "subframe" is that the same as a tow-able? If it is then what you and I are building could be roughly the same size. How far do the cylinders you picked up at PA extend? I can still tinker with the plans for mine to allow for the amount of extension on the cylinders I finally use.

Tractor mounted backhoes come in two basic types. 3PH mounted or subframe mounted.

A subframe backhoe mounts to the back of the tractor via a subframe which attaches along the mainframe of the tractor and usually extends from the front to the rear of the tractor to provide additional strength by distributing the stress along the entire length of the tractor.

Long winded I know, but I think it gives a fairly accurate description.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #128  
Tractor mounted backhoes come in two basic types. 3PH mounted or subframe mounted.

A subframe backhoe mounts to the back of the tractor via a subframe which attaches along the mainframe of the tractor and usually extends from the front to the rear of the tractor to provide additional strength by distributing the stress along the entire length of the tractor.

Long winded I know, but I think it gives a fairly accurate description.

OK, that clears up my confusion. You've seen what I write so you know long winded works for me, chuckle. If I find that my backhoe is not mounted securely enough I will have to fit a subframe to it. Would not be too hard, just extra effort and steel.

/ Finally Building my Backhoe #129  
   / Finally Building my Backhoe #130  
Iplayfarmer & mjncad:

I took a closer look at a couple of junkers I have on the yard. One is a moco that shredded an expensive belt and the other is a bale loader that the previous owner left behind. Lo and behold, they each have fairly long runs of "hardline". The lines on the moco are slightly smaller than those on the bale loader, but I wonder about the system pressure they were designed for. The moco is single acting and the bale loader looks like it is double acting. Incidentally, the hydraulic system is mostly intact on the bale loader and I wonder if the PTO driven pump from it could be mounted to my tractor and run the backhoe with it. I have plans for the single acting pump too, but that wont be for this project.

So what do you think? Would the lines from the mower/conditioner handle the pressure? I will have to remove the pump and test the output. I may have to check with the manufacturer of the machine and see if they can provide any info. Too bad the cylinders on the loader are too big and long. I'll hang onto them anyway. They look to be the right size for the FEL on my Oliver 550.

It's not so much the machine the hardlines come off; but what pressure they are rated for. If you can get info from the manufacturer, that would save you a bunch of guessing. If you intend to reuse hardlines, you will have to make sure they are clean, clean, clean inside and out before you braze on the ends assuming you are using that method. How big in diameter are these hardlines you intend to reuse? Just guessing mind you; but I would be surprised if you needed anything bigger than 3/8" on the supply side, and maybe 1/2" to 5/8" on the return to tank. I'm basing that guess on the sizes found on my JD 4200.

It takes a bit of hunting at the Parker web site; but download Catalog 4300 as it has a wealth of information on fittings and how to properly braze hardline end fittings or use crimp on fittings, which takes special equipment. I'd email you the catalog; but it's way too big for that.

As for the pump, again the pump's output in pressure and volume, not the machine that it came off of will determine whether it can power your backhoe. Do you have room for the pump and a separate hydraulic tank?