Four Wheel Drive

/ Four Wheel Drive #41  
I agree that there is more wear on the drive system running in 4wd (FWA, MFWD). I understand the wear cost and there will be some. The real issue for me in running in 4wd while using my CUT and SCUT tractor is safety. I can repair a machine. Operating in hilly or steep areas it needs to be in 4wd for safety. IMHO :)

+1 on this, I only operated my old B7500 enough in 2WD to know I did not want to do that again. 8 years in 4WD no problems. IMHO 2WD is for people on flat ground.

James K0UA

/ Four Wheel Drive #42  
I use 2WD 80% of the time. I use 4WD when the situation warrants it.

/ Four Wheel Drive #43  
I've been mowing since my last post. Just in for lunch. I only had to lock the rear diff about 8 or 10 times. Almost popped a wheelie one of those times. Who sez mowing has to be boring? (But then, it's not really boring if I have my audio books.)

/ Four Wheel Drive #44  
My rule always has been to use 4WD to get myself out of trouble, not into it!

I thought MULES used 4 Feet / Hoof drive all the time. Live & learn. :laughing::D

/ Four Wheel Drive #45  
any time one of my tractors leave the road i tell them to put the front wheel assist on. now my harvest equipment i only run them when needed.

/ Four Wheel Drive #46  
I use 2WD 80% of the time. I use 4WD when the situation warrants it.

Yeah but what do you know, heck you like Clint Eastwood!!! ;););)

Clint's the MAN!!! :thumbsup:

/ Four Wheel Drive #47  
Braking.
larry

TRUE THAT!!! After sliding down a steep grade with the brush cutter on in 2wd I came to fully understand what you are saying!!! :laughing:

/ Four Wheel Drive #48  
TRUE THAT!!! After sliding down a steep grade with the brush cutter on in 2wd I came to fully understand what you are saying!!! :laughing:

Braking is a good point...but using lower gears or range helps. Always a good idea to start down slow rather then try to brake so you get the maximum engine braking...this applies to both 2WD and 4WD applications.

/ Four Wheel Drive #49  
My Mahindra has almost no front lead. Sure wish it had more for side hilll work. Actually Ive not done a test to see if they lead or trail. I just know that there is a small bind going straight and all it takes to disengage is let off the throttle. Im going to have to check whether it has lead or trail.
larry

Larry I would guess it's lead. But sounds like it's minimal. My little JD2210 has dramatic lead time. when I'm mowing the road bank in 4wd the front tires are clawing all the time. My Kubota's not as noticeable but as I said it'll still bind up and usually I can disengage using your throttle method.

/ Four Wheel Drive #50  
Braking is a good point...but using lower gears or range helps. Always a good idea to start down slow rather then try to brake so you get the maximum engine braking...this applies to both 2WD and 4WD applications.

What Larry and I are talking about can't be fixed with lower gearing. It's when the rear tires let loose and are sliding/slipping down the hill. 4wd removes all that. The front tires have all the weight on them and will not slip as easily.

But then I have the times when I'm an idiot and trying to work on slopes that are muddy and slick. Sliding out of control down a timbered trail with all four tires sliding is NOT fun!!! TREE!!!!! :ashamed: