Four Wheel Drive

/ Four Wheel Drive #22  
While building a dairy barn and allowing the tractor to remain at building site and used by employees for hauling material to work area.With caution to use 2 whl drive on concrete. found out it was driven 2 miles each day for fuel on black top road. easier than a 5 gal. can.
Never taken out of 4whl drive and soon the grinding noise was noticed in front end. didn't tell anyone because it wasn't there tractor. Required a total replacement of gears bearings and seals.
If for no more than information. Just check with parts man at your friendly tractor store and it will be a education on use of 4 whl drive.
I now keep in 2 whl. unless it using the FWL loading material. on soft soil.
The extra effort to shift is money not spent.
ken

/ Four Wheel Drive #23  
At this point I'm the only one who drives my tractor, and 99.9% of the time it is on grass, gravel, or leaves... because of this I pretty much leave it in 4wd. The very few times I take it on pavement, I am sure to put it in 2wd. As long as tires can "slip" I don't believe it will do any damage.

/ Four Wheel Drive #24  
I leave my tractor in 2 wd ----Only put it in 4X4 When needed---Same with my ATV--
Now my CJ 5 jeep is left in 4X4 low ----Runs better that way as it is a 3 speed trans.---& it never goes on pavement ( no tag )>
As for my Toyota Tacoma trucks----They are put in 4X4 as soon as I enter our 1 3/4 gravel road---- ( mostly to save the road --- I maintain it )Taken out when I leave. ( Hubs left locked in---I never go very far )

/ Four Wheel Drive #25  
My rule always has been to use 4WD to get myself out of trouble, not into it!

/ Four Wheel Drive #26  
I agree with that Vitabene----If 'in ya get stuck while in 4 wd---then ya really stuck :D

/ Four Wheel Drive #27  
I leave it in 2WD for a couple of reasons. First, to avoid unnecessary wear, particularly in turns. Second, I have less traction in 2WD (duh, that's the point of 4WD), so I can't get myself into as much trouble. Think about it--if it takes all of your available traction to get into trouble, what do you have left to get yourself out?

/ Four Wheel Drive #28  
I leave it in 2WD for a couple of reasons. First, to avoid unnecessary wear, particularly in turns. Second, I have less traction in 2WD (duh, that's the point of 4WD), so I can't get myself into as much trouble. Think about it--if it takes all of your available traction to get into trouble, what do you have left to get yourself out?

We use the FEL to get us out, if we only went places we knew we wouldn't get hung up, we would just have to leave our tractors in the shed.

/ Four Wheel Drive #29  
You can tell this is mainly a compact tactor forum because so many folks mention that 4wd uses more fuel. That is true only when operating on hard ground. When operating on soft ground, 4wd will save you fuel. This is the main reason you will rarely see a large 2wd tractor performing any tillage operations these days. The days when fuel could be wasted pushing a "dead" axle are long gone. Fuel savings of 20-30% are the norm comparing equal weight/power 4wd to 2wd. The best way to get a feel for how much more fuel is used in 2wd compared to 4wd is to hook a 4wd tractor up to a disc and get out on some tilled up ground. Get yourself a portable GPS and note the engine rpms required to make a given ground speed pulling that disc when 4wd is engaged and disengaged. You will note that a higher gear and lower rpm is required in 4wd (or just less rpms with a hydro). Fuel consumption is directly related to engine rpm, while work done relates only to ground speed. That said, I use 4wd whenever it saves me fuel, which is just about all the time on my mucky bottomland farm. Sometimes, when it gets good and dry in the summer, I do use 2wd for bushhogging, and I always use it on the road. I never worry about getting stuck deeper when in 4wd, and I love getting the spring planting done a lot earlier since getting a 4wd tractor. I am through 6 seasons with it now, and have yet to get it stuck bad enough that I couldnt pull myself out with the loader. I used that "get out of mud free" card a couple times this spring in which we received more rain by a big margin than any other year in recorded history. Since this is mainly a CUT forum and not many are used for tillage, I would recommend to simply let conditions decide whether or not to engage the 4wd: Soft ground, mud, snow, front loader use - 4wd, Dry lawns, pavement - 2wd. I do not think leaving it in 2wd unless you get stuck is a good idea since you will be giving away the momentum that may have carried you thru had you started out in 4wd, and by then, it may be too late for the 4wd to get you out.

/ Four Wheel Drive #30  
It's dangerous on my property to run without 4wd. In 2wd, I only have 2 wheel, rear brakes, and these get unloaded going downhill.

So, I NEVER EVER take mine out of 4wd unless I got all the way down my driveway. If a short distance, I try to go over onto the grass beside the driveway. Only take it out of 4wd if I'm going almost the entire distance down the driveway. When doing snow on the driveway, it's in 4wd though, of course.

Ralph