L series jerky 3 point

/ L series jerky 3 point #1  

Fordman1981

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 Gear Ag Tires
Hey guys I had a moment of new tractor fever this weekend and went to look at a few tractors one being the L3800 I asked 2 dealers near by about the jerky 3 point if it was still an issue being the L 3800 and the L 3200 are new. One told me he had a guy bring one back with 7 hrs. on it cause he was so disgusted with the lift. I went to one of the dealers 30 mins from me test drove the L3800 and asked to put a blade on it. They said no problem it is jerky but not near as bad as some i have seen on here. The dealer told me that its the newest of the valve's and is suppose to be better but is still just ok to him. He said one fix for them is the predecessor 3010 valve i believe it was both dealers told me the same thing i hope i have the model right 3010 if not I know they said it was and earlier tractor model and the valve was a direct bolt in. Both dealers said Kubota would not pay for the swap under warranty being the new valve is suppose to be better but they would do the swap for $400.00 thats the valve and install and all. The dealer said its still not as smooth as a grand L valve but is 90% smoother. Once they told me what they would give for my trade in My NEW TRACTOR FEVER quickly vanished. Oh well my machine still looks new with 1100 hrs on it so it will suit me fine for yrs to come. Looking to add a few implements to get over the new fever Like tooth bar and a chipper. Hope this info helps you L owners out.:thumbsup:

/ L series jerky 3 point #2  
Thank you. That is the first dealer I have heard of that really would comment much on the problem or admit to a problem..

James K0UA

/ L series jerky 3 point #3  
Hi guys, new member here! About 8 weeks ago I bought a bran new L4400. Had absoluteley no problems with the hitch, and considered myself lucky after reading all the posts. It was smoothe as silk. When I bought the machine I wanted one rear remote on it, and my dealer told me they where on back order and when it comes in he would pick up the machine and do the install. Well I just got the machine back and and never paid it no mind while mowing, but went to do some back bladeing yesterday, and now am the proud owner of a jerky hitch. Could this problem be caused as soon as additional lines are added? Was never there before! Almost seems like the fluid is cavitating, air bound or something.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110814_085052.png
    ForumRunner_20110814_085052.png
    479.9 KB · Views: 219
  • ForumRunner_20110814_085131.png
    ForumRunner_20110814_085131.png
    493.9 KB · Views: 208
   / L series jerky 3 point #4  
Weldermike- I believe your L4400 and mine are the only ones at least on the forums that posted our 3pt hitch is jerky. I don't have rear remotes but my hitch was jerky since new. Its only jerky when raised slow, when I pull the raise lever up in one smooth motion it is smooth.

/ L series jerky 3 point #5  
Same here general, only jerky on way up, if you go in small incriments, but if I go up quick it is smoothe. Problem only showed up with new remote tho, so weird, gonna look into it.

/ L series jerky 3 point #6  
Weldermike- I believe your L4400 and mine are the only ones at least on the forums that posted our 3pt hitch is jerky. I don't have rear remotes but my hitch was jerky since new. Its only jerky when raised slow, when I pull the raise lever up in one smooth motion it is smooth.

FYI... your L4400's are the same 3pts at the L10 and L30 series. Totally different designs than the smaller standard L's. If they are actually jerky, they are probably sucking air and a simple suction line needs replaced. Its more likly that your not adjusting your 3pt drop speed valves properly. If they are cranked open the entire way, its is tough to lower things slowly.

/ L series jerky 3 point #7  
Thanks for the refreshing news, had it in the back of my mind that the new problem would get worse. Not a hydroulic expert by any means, but seemed like an air problem. Thanks!

/ L series jerky 3 point #8  
FYI... your L4400's are the same 3pts at the L10 and L30 series. Totally different designs than the smaller standard L's. If they are actually jerky, they are probably sucking air and a simple suction line needs replaced. Its more likly that your not adjusting your 3pt drop speed valves properly. If they are cranked open the entire way, its is tough to lower things slowly.

That is good to know. Mine doesn't jerk on the way down. I've adjusted the 3pt drop speed to various speeds, doesn't seem to help the upward jerk. Any idea what line it could be? When I operate the loader, after things get warmed up I can smell Hydro fluid that is probably venting but where does it vent from? If the system is sucking air could that be why I am smelling hydro fluid as well?

/ L series jerky 3 point #9  
That is good to know. Mine doesn't jerk on the way down. I've adjusted the 3pt drop speed to various speeds, doesn't seem to help the upward jerk. Any idea what line it could be? When I operate the loader, after things get warmed up I can smell Hydro fluid that is probably venting but where does it vent from? If the system is sucking air could that be why I am smelling hydro fluid as well?

My L3400 is exactly the same, Lee. Once it's warmed up, I can smell the hydro fluid as well, but usually only when I run the loader a lot.

The suction line angle is making me think... I know the L series are prone to the rubber suction line cracking and drawing in air. Would it not make the loader "twitchy" as well, or is that valve maybe less prone to cavitation than the 3 point?

The L3400 has a vent pipe under the seat from what I can see of the parts diagram, that may be where you're getting a whiff of the hydro fluid from on your L4400.

For the time it takes, I think I'll pull the suction hose off my L3400 and have a close look at it, maybe do a pressure test and see if it does have any cracks in it. The clamps are Mickey Mouse specials to begin with, they may get replaced with something better while I'm at it.

I've looked at two new L3800's this past week, both are jerky, although to a lesser degree than mine.

Sean

/ L series jerky 3 point #10  
After looking at the suction line on mine, it's a classic case of a problem waiting to happen.

The suction from the pump (rubber hose with spring clamps on both ends) goes to a steel line, THEN through the hydraulic filter and finally a second steel line going to the sump.

I've noticed some aeration in the oil while running, it may be a problem after all.

Sean