Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #11  
alternating current... deadly.

Then what is direct current?

I was an electronics tech on a diesel electric U-boat. We were always told that DC will kill you faster than AC.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #12  
Skyco, did not mean it that way..How could anyone weld very long without a pair of gloves? Begging for trouble..but they do serve as insulators for the electrode holder...DC current is also deadly, under the same aspects..

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable
I've been nailed hard before by welding current many times. I think the worst was when I was welding the inside of an aluminum tanker. I touched the tungsten of my TIG torch to the filler rod. I was laying on bare metal and was sweating very heavily. I woke up in the Foremans office about an hour later they say and I had a heavy metallic taste in my mouth for about three days. I consider myself very lucky taking into account stories like the one this thread is about.

WOW...scarey story, Tobias. Sounds like you had a very close call.
Good thing someone was around to shut things off and get you out of there.

As they say, hindsite is 20-20. But what would you do differently now if you had to return to that same situation? Refuse to do the job or put down an insulated mat, or something else?

Jonyyuma,
I see that you live north of Memphis, and might know the answer to something I've been wondering about for several years.

I went on vacation with my parents in your neck of the woods back in the late '60s. We went to Reelfoot lake and took the highway west to Missouri, crossing the Mississippi on a ferry that took highway traffic back and forth between Tennessee and Missouri.
I don't remember the number of the highway, but seems like it connected Portageville, MO with Tiptonville, TN.

That ferry was one the highlights of our trip.
I always wanted to go back, but didn't know if the ferry is still running or not.
Would you happen to know if they still have the ferry or have they put in a bridge? Thanks

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #15  
Skyco, did not mean it that way..How could anyone weld very long without a pair of gloves? Begging for trouble..but they do serve as insulators for the electrode holder...DC current is also deadly, under the same aspects..

Until they get sweaty which is about 2 minutes around here...Then the salt in the hide is an excellent conductor.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #16  
That sweat is possible, but I never recieved any shocking while using dry welding Gloves. Mind you, i have observed persons using those rough house gloves and holding a piepan mask in front of their faces. I was flash burned on my neck and goozle one time because my neck was exposed at the v in my shirt. If i really wanted to weld much i put on the leather vest with long arms. later we had special welder jackets constructed like carharts?After i used a faulty hood, i was told no more welding if i wanted to see well..

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #17  
East texas, There is a interstate bridge now out of Dyersburg tenn. On up north of that there was a ferry still in operation in Kentucky.. to missouri, I haven't been up there in over 5 years.It might be still operating..I have been up to look at eagles and such at Lake Reelfoot, still a natural beauty.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #18  
I was an electronics tech on a diesel electric U-boat. We were always told that DC will kill you faster than AC.

ever see a construction worker welding outside in the rain?

sure... it happens all the time, but not one of them is using alternating current.;)

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #19  
I've seen me welding outside in the rain, using DC.

Thanks, Jonyyuma.
I'd like to visit that Reelfoot Lake area again sometime. Might take in some of the sights in Memphis while I'm so close. :thumbsup: