Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #31  
Yeah, have you watched any one using a cutting- torch without any eye-protection? I was on a Gov project once and the iron workers used sunglasses while burning their rods to length...Aviator design to look cool, while going blind. I always wanted a #10 glass for protection. Shut up and weld?? Well here goes...

if you used a shade 10 lens for torch work, you couldnt see what your doing at all, I use a shade 4 or so with the torch, 10 is for arc welding.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #32  
if you used a shade 10 lens for torch work, you couldnt see what your doing at all, I use a shade 4 or so with the torch, 10 is for arc welding.

Correct the #10 was for arc.welding, we wore the small round cutting goggles first seems like they were 5. then we bought the single bar type, it was lighter I'm assuming about a 4. Some guys wanted the #9 for inside welding. I always had problem lining up before striking the arc.Of course this was previous of any electronic lenses.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable
ever see a construction worker welding outside in the rain?

sure... it happens all the time, but not one of them is using alternating current.;)

Apparently, Lincoln agrees with you.
Here is a quote from their Welding Guide, PP-40
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...AlloySteels-Excalibur-Excalibur7028/c2410.pdf

ELECTRIC SHOCK can kill.

1.a. The electrode and work (or ground) circuits are electrically
塗ot when the welder is on. Do not touch these 塗ot parts with
your bare skin or wet clothing. Wear dry, hole-free gloves to
insulate hands.
1.b. Insulate yourself from work and ground using dry insulation.
Make certain the insulation is large enough to cover your
full area of physical contact with work and ground.

In addition to the normal safety precautions, if welding must be performed
under electrically hazardous conditions (in damp locations or
while wearing wet clothing; on metal structures such as floors, gratings
or scaffolds; when in cramped positions such as sitting, kneeling or
lying, if there is a high risk of unavoidable or accidental contact with
the workpiece or ground) use the following equipment:
Semiautomatic DC Constant Voltage (Wire) Welder.
DC Manual (Stick) Welder.
AC Welder with Reduced Voltage Control.

1.c. In semiautomatic or automatic wire welding, the electrode, electrode reel,
welding head, nozzle or semiautomatic welding gun are also electrically
塗ot?
1.d. Always be sure the work cable makes a good electrical connection with the
metal being welded. The connection should be as close as possible to the
area being welded.
1.e. Ground the work or metal to be welded to a good electrical (earth) ground.
1.f. Maintain the electrode holder, work clamp, welding cable and welding machine
in good, safe operating condition. Replace damaged insulation.
1.g. Never dip the electrode in water for cooling.
1.h. Never simultaneously touch electrically 塗ot parts of electrode holders connected
to two welders because voltage between the two can be the total of
the open circuit voltage of both welders.
1.i. When working above floor level, use a safety belt to protect yourself from a fall
should you get a shock.
1.j. Also see Items 4.c. and 6.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable
Apparently, Lincoln agrees with you.
Here is a quote from their Welding Guide, PP-40
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...AlloySteels-Excalibur-Excalibur7028/c2410.pdf

ELECTRIC SHOCK can kill

In addition to the normal safety precautions, if welding must be performed
under electrically hazardous conditions............... use the following equipment:

DC Manual (Stick) Welder.

I still don't trust DC. It may be considered as non fatal in a welding situation, but I never liked getting shocked. :(
I have been buzzed many times by my Miller Bobcat while welding in the rain.
Usually it happened when I put in a new rod with wet gloves. Forgetting to lay the rod down on something and bringing the rod holder to it. :mur:

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #35  
What are the DC vs. the AC voltages of say, my Miller sticker? Ohm's Law may be on our side. BTW, I am almost always wearing rubber shoes or boots. Quack.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #36  
I still don't trust DC. It may be considered as non fatal in a welding situation, but I never liked getting shocked. :(
I have been buzzed many times by my Miller Bobcat while welding in the rain.
Usually it happened when I put in a new rod with wet gloves. Forgetting to lay the rod down on something and bringing the rod holder to it. :mur:

Amen, trying to put in the new rod, without a shock? I accidently had splatter fuse my raincoat to my forearm, not very funny then. It was do it now , or go home for the day? I survived, still have the proof on my arm to remind me?

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #37  
Not a big fan of lots of repairs on leads but sometis in times either finances or speed get in the way of prudence. If we have to make repairs to the leads here on the rig, we use self fusing rubber tape first, then follow that with good Ol Scotch 33. These repairs are never intended to be the final solution though.
I had an occasion years ago. Was asked to weld up a split seem on a 1 MW heater that was used to blow hot air through a mill used to grind salt. Old crusty Miller 480VAC machine with crusty leads to match. Had to stand on a 5 gallon bucket to reach the seam I needed to weld. Dont think I ever struck the arc. Next thing I knew I was layin on the deck with blood oozing out of my mouth. Apparently I got shocked when I went to prop up on the heater and fell off the bucket. Lucky I broke my fall with my face! lol Ended up with two fractured places in my jaw and a new set of fake teeth. Walked away with a new affection for well cared for welding machines though.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #38  
Second the Scotch 33, pretty much all other tape sucks IMO.

/ Farmer Electrocuted By Faulty Welding Cable #39  
I have been buzzed many times by my Miller Bobcat while welding in the rain

and each one of those times, you would probably have been knocked silly or killed by a/c.

btw, there is no need to ever be shocked by wet gloves.