Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #41  
My wife just called and told me that Lowe's has a Troy Bilt 2600 psi washer on sale with a Honda engine.I went to Lowes site and read the reviews first 4 or 5 are very poor.Say the pump quits after a few hours use,I looked at the specs and it has an Axiel Cam pump.I thought that I read that this is a good pump? Do you guys put any stock in reviews? most say good motor, cheep pump.Most say they can not believe that Lowes sells such a poor product. We need a washer for our fence and decks want to spend around $400.00 Is there any hope of getting a decent washer? Any opinions welcome.Thanks .Jeff

All I can say is Honda. I've had one (13 HP) for 15 plus years. This one will put out about 4500 psi (according to the pressure gauge) and has a pressure regulator valve. Look for a Cat pump and gear-driven.

Stainless cart frame if available. I like the Honda alot. I have several machines that are Honda powered, (car, lawn mower, pressure washer, past motorcycles) and have never had an issue with their products.

That's all I know..... Well wishes.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #42  
I have a Delta 5.5 hp Model DTH2450 with a Honda motor. Worked well for two years, very infrequent use, kept in heated garage. This year, started quickly, full pressure then pressure dropped off. I contacted Delta, no help, told me the unit was a low end product and I should probably just buy another, no repair service. I decided I couldn't hurt the thing so I removed the "E-Z Start valve, took it apart and sprayed it with WD40, re-assembled and it works fine.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice
Well I do have a question about fuel. This washer has a sticker on the tank that says ( NO E-85) Well thats all we have here in Central Maine. I have been running it anyway no choice that i can see really any thoughts about the warning?

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #44  
E85 is not the same as E10, which is probably what you have available.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #45  
E85 is not the same as E10, which is probably what you have available.

Yes, I think our gas in Maine is 10% ethanol. I run Marine Formula Stabil in everything that I fill from my gas cans. I just dose the cans when I fill them. Since I've done that, everything seems to run fine. I used my generator for a day in the aftermath of Irene. The gas in the generator was about 2 years old, but had been treated. It started and ran fine. The bottle of MF Stabil that I use has a "dosing chamber." It's very handy. I got mine at WalMart.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice
Yes I am sure you are right we probobly have e-10 .I listened to my son when he said we have e-85. Never listen to your son he may be crazy and I think I am going senile so together we are not a good team.As for MF Stabil that stuff is good I should start using it more .Thanks for the reply thats why I asked I knew somebody would know what we have for fuel. All I pay attention to is the price.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #47  
I have the Ridgid with the Subaru engine and CAT pump -- 3 years old and runs like new, although the soap tank/injection system is sometimes a PITA and probably needs to be cleaned/tweaked to get good performance out of. Unit is is in background of pic below.

Wrooster

DSCN6644.JPG

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #48  
From my experience and from what I've read,the pump and regulator is where you want to look for quality. Most people see Honda engines and assume it will be a good unit. (I did too in the past) The lower quality sub 500.00 category are known to have "one season wonder" pumps that have no manufacturer brand on the pump casing. Look for one that is branded....like Cat,General Pump,AR,Comet. These pump manufacturers are at least proud enough to stamp their name in the casting and will usually be of better quality. Some are the best quality....CAT and General Pump are two that I know of. The bigger units will have Triplex pumps.

Unfortunately,I learned the hard way. The first pressure washer was a birthday gift from my wife years ago. It was a Craftsman, I used it maybe 4 times and it crapped out. I took it back to Sears for warranty, but it was 3 days out of the 1 year period. The manager took pity and told me to send it to their offsite shop for an evaluation to why it didnt work. Cost me 50.00 to find out it would cost me 450.00 to fix a 275.00 machine. Bought a Honda powered one from Lowes,thinking I would get something that would last. It lasted 3 years and used maybe 10-15 times.(engines still good and on my shelf) Finally did some research after being enlightened by a commercial powerwasher user. I bought a Dewalt form Home Depot that has a General Pump and Honda engine...been serving me well with alot of use. ....and man does it have power! The pump has a 5 year manufacturers warranty

Last edited:
   / Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #49  
I have the Ridgid with the Subaru engine and CAT pump -- 3 years old and runs like new, although the soap tank/injection system is sometimes a PITA and probably needs to be cleaned/tweaked to get good performance out of. Unit is is in background of pic below.

Wrooster

DSCN6644.JPG

I tried two of those exact same power washers from Home Depot before I just demanded my money back. For a fuel injected engine, it sure wasn't any easier to start than any other small engine I own (probably 20 or so of them) and I also couldn't tell you how well it works since I never could get it to stay in one place long enough to use it. Those cheap solid plastic wheels are the worst thing I've ever seen. Whoever came up with that idea ought to be fired. I used 4 landscaping stones to try to block it in place so I could use it and it still managed to get loose and pull the part off of the pump where the supply hose attaches. I was both ticked off and extremely disappointed!

Being that I really needed more power than that little washer would put out (I already have one of the Troy Built Lowes washers with the Honda engine that is close in power and probably has 1000 hours on it with no issues) I ended up buying a Simpson power washer at Sam's Club with the GX390 Honda engine and General pump that puts out 4200 psi and 4 gpm. I only have about 20 hours on it, but it's been fine. Certainly drinks more gas than the little 2600 psi 3.2 gpm washer, but is also quite a bit more powerful.

/ Gasoline Powered Pressure Washer advice #50  
I tried two of those exact same power washers from Home Depot before I just demanded my money back. For a fuel injected engine...
You must have a different model, as the Subaru engine on the one I show is not fuel injected. Additionally, mine stays put when running -- it does not wander at all.

Wrooster