Another Mini-Dozer

/ Another Mini-Dozer #11  
The work you have done so far looks fantastic. It would be cool to have a small diesel powering your dozer, but I realize that would probably strain the budget.

I would consider the iron worker to punch all those holes. We got one a while back at work. While I have not got to operate it yet, I have watched and been amazed at how quickly and easily it can punch large holes in thick material.

/ Another Mini-Dozer
Thanks for your comments...I'll be sure to flush the engine...etc.
The iron worker idea would work I guess... I just don't have access to one.
The one that I used years ago seamed to distort the metal when trying to punch a hole that size. Also, I found it hard to hit the mark right on.
I was quite amazed as to how well the Harbor Freight drill bit cut once I slowed my $99 Craftsman drill press down from 620 to about 150 RPM. It stopped stalling and the shavings curled off of that 3/4" plate just as thick as could be!

Attachments

• Drill Press Modification.jpg
    Drill Press Modification.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 3,378
  • Drill Press Mod.2.jpg
    Drill Press Mod.2.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 3,063
  • Sprocket Layout.jpg
    Sprocket Layout.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 2,692
  • Sprocket Layout 2.jpg
    Sprocket Layout 2.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 2,537
   / Another Mini-Dozer #13  
Thanks for your comments...I'll be sure to flush the engine...etc.
The iron worker idea would work I guess... I just don't have access to one.
The one that I used years ago seamed to distort the metal when trying to punch a hole that size. Also, I found it hard to hit the mark right on.
I was quite amazed as to how well the Harbor Freight drill bit cut once I slowed my $99 Craftsman drill press down from 620 to about 150 RPM. It stopped stalling and the shavings curled off of that 3/4" plate just as thick as could be!

Wow!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Now I see how I can convert my El-Cheapo Canadian Tire drill press to drill 1.5" holes without smoking.:(:( I use bi-metal hole-saws and drill up to 1/2" material. I'm surprised I have not burned out the poor little motor on that thing. With a step-down like that, I should be able to extend the life of that rig by a fair margin.:cool:

/ Another Mini-Dozer
A diesel engine would truly be the sweetest thing. The sound, the smell...

but like you say if I could afford that then I could afford hydraulic drive instead of using belts and pullies,

I could afford rubber tracks instead of making each steel segment by hand.
Yes, if I could put a diesel in it I would be WAY TOO :cool2: COOL !

Attachments

• Drilling Sprocket.jpg
    Drilling Sprocket.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 3,024
  • Track Sprocket.jpg
    Track Sprocket.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 4,766
  • Sprocket Fit-Up.jpg
    Sprocket Fit-Up.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 4,101
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 5,139
   / Another Mini-Dozer #15  
Now this is too cool for school! I'm looking forward to seeing more pix as this progresses.

Is 16HP going to be enough ponies?

If anyone needed access to a CNC laser or water cutting system, it's you. Did you look into having the parts cut that way?

/ Another Mini-Dozer #16  
First your work looks very good, and your tracks look very good,

but I have a question, has any one ever cut the side wall down on a tractor tire and stretched it over two air filled tires to use as a tracks? and if so how did it work?

/ Another Mini-Dozer #18  
Question how many track pads did you make per side? Looks great!!:thumbsup: Loren

/ Another Mini-Dozer #19  
First your work looks very good, and your tracks look very good,

but I have a question, has any one ever cut the side wall down on a tractor tire and stretched it over two air filled tires to use as a tracks? and if so how did it work?

I have often thought of exactly that and wondered how it might work. I have never tried it but I think one of the first issues would be traction between the tire tread track and the driving tire. Some sort of hardware would have to be bolted on the inside of the track both for the traction and for keeping it from running off during turning maneuvers. I hope someone who has tried it can give us a report on it.

/ Another Mini-Dozer #20  
Man, beautiful job. you must either be retired, or a work-a-holic.. HA

Thislooks like both fun and a pain in the %$$. To bad you couldnt get a small diesel engine.