Mini Dozer - Project near complete

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #142  
I'm starting out with a Simplicity mower that runs well but I want to build a crawler that can be used on steep terrain. I want to use it to pull a brush hog through heavily brushed areas.

I have tried using my Kubota but having tipped it over once already, I decided I was too young to die. It is too high off the ground.

Next I tried a 1962 Agritrac crawler but since it has a float carb, it didn't work well on the steep hills. It was also hard to shift into another gear or even change direction.

The Simplicity has a fuel pump so it works better but needs tracks. Ideally I would buy a diesel engine but until I can find one, in my price range, I need to stick with the Simplicity tractor conversion.

I have some minor machinist skills and I usually manage to make things work with a little modification so this project is not out of my skill set.

Last edited:
   / Mini Dozer - Project near complete #143  
Any updates?? Nice build!!

Chris

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #144  
Great project. The thread is a very interesting read.

On the topic of blade up/down, I considered a similar problem a while back. Just pondered mind you - no practical experience to share... just an idea FWIW.

My light duty snow blade uses a winch to raise and lower the blade, but in wet slush, it does not weigh enough to cut down to the driveway.

So...
I imagined a vertical post, affixed to the same point as the lifting cable/strap on the blade's frame. The vertical post would follow the path of the lifting strap up to the winch but rise above the winch by a foot or two. By fixing a heavy spring to the top of the post with the lower end of the spring connected to a cable also wrapped around the winch's drum means that after lowering the blade, continued rotation of the winch will tighten the cable attached to the spring, and apply down pressure to the top of the post and thereby to the blade. The assumption is that an inexpensive winch with square-cut gears and a keyed shaft will be able to apply torque equally well in either direction.

I have not had the urge to try the idea out, but if you do try it... let us know how it turns out, please.

Greg

PS, If I made the snow blade work better, I would have had less of an argument for purchasing a CUT.... which got "house" approval last year.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #145  
...PS, If I made the snow blade work better, I would have had less of an argument for purchasing a CUT.... which got "house" approval last year.

Yet another convincing argument extolling the virtues of procrastination.

I'd like to write a whole list of reasons why procrastination is such a good thing, but I'll do it later.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #147  
Good quote !! found it, or just thought it yourself ?? :)

I'm sure I've heard it somewhere before (or something like it), but I couldn't tell you where.

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #149  
Any updates on dozer? Is it done?

/ Mini Dozer - Project near complete #150  
The assumption is that an inexpensive winch with square-cut gears and a keyed shaft will be able to apply torque equally well in either direction.

Most electric winches come with an intregal load holding brake. That is why the winch seems to work harder letting out cable then pulling it in. Also a good reason to have a free wheeling option for pulling out the cable. It should still work for what you are thinking. Just remember that you are working with both load and internal brake when reversing the winch.