Comparison fransgard 3507

/ fransgard 3507 #1  

dbail

Tractor
mf1250
i have be looking at logging winches for awhile. after pulling 4 cord of wood last year using my loader has the winch. i need one. i think i'll buy the fransgard 3507 its the right size for my mf1250. my only question is the pulling capacity. i have seen 7275 lbs and 7725lbs listed. but i heard that model # is the pull in kg. if this is so than 3507 x 2.2lb= 7715lbs of pull? i have found a new one for $3300 delivered. i'm going to add a box for the chainsaw, gas,oil,etc and a hitch

/ fransgard 3507 #2  
Dball, I am just getting started with a similar size winch - mine is a Uniforest, but they all work in fundamentally the same manner - on a slightly larger tractor than your MF1250. Here's what I've found so far. First, you really want to make straight pulls. Even a 10 deg. angle off center can toss the tractor around, even with these smaller winches. One or more snatch blocks are very handy. Farmi makes a self-releasing snatch block that makes pulls easy. It costs (drumroll) $300, and it's worth every penny.

These winches pull at a very high speed compared to an electric winch and things happen very fast, particularly if something gets hung up. A winch with 7,000 lbs of pull can easily flip the tractor if things get really out of hand.

Unless you have really large logs to move, 7,000 lbs gives plenty of pull to move logs up to at least 20". Nothing I have to move is over that size, so this winch is fine for me. If you have large, heavy, stuck timber, or need to move a lot of lumber at a time, a bigger winch would be preferable, although you don't want to overmatch what your tractor can handle in power required or weight.

You should have enough pto hp to run that winch. Because of the winch speed, it's an advantage if you have enough power so you can operate the winch at a lower engine speed without bogging or stalling.

/ fransgard 3507
what size tractor granddad? what model uniforest? i was thinking about getting a snatch block.years ago i had the use of a jd 440 skidder. this thing pulled everything no block needed. if it hung up it was coming with the load

/ fransgard 3507 #4  
Kubota L4610... 46hp, about 5,500 lbs including FEL and winch when it goes into the woods to pull trees, Uniforest 35E... rated about same as your Fransgard.

The snatch blocks (I have the Farmi and another one) let me keep the tractor on the trail and still pull at any angle. A lot of what I'm pulling is deadfall, so the pulleys are very handy for untangling the mess. Tractor has 39hp at the pto and runs the winch at idle without working hard, which also helps keep everything nice and easy.

I was going to do more clearing this weekend and planned to grab some pictures to post, but we've just been soaked with rain - thankful for that - and it would be a mudpit in the woods, so I guess it's a good time to work on the honey-do list around the house instead.

Another tip, if necessary to anchor the tractor, you can simply back the tractor up to a tree and let the winch frame butt up against a tree to keep the tractor from getting tossed around when making a heavy pull. That's often easier than chaining off the tractor from the front.

There used to be some TBN members who were really expert with these winches... I am really new at it... don't know if they are still around or not.

Good luck with your logging work!

/ fransgard 3507
thats sounds like a sweet set up. my wood lot is about 240 ft wide by about .7 of a mile deep. i would like to stay a the road and pull the tree to me. alot easier on the tractor. the trees on the back of the lot, are big about 3ft on the but. i'll take them in smaller pieces.

/ fransgard 3507
DSCN1036.JPG

DSCN1035.JPG

DSCN1033.JPG

DSCN1026.JPG
i got the hitch and storage rack made. i have the rack for the box made. i'm looking for metal to make the box. i'm going to keep it light. some pic[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

/ fransgard 3507 #7  
Very nice! Like the receiver and bracket fabrications. You'll get a lot done with that.

/ fransgard 3507 #8  
Congrats on the new winch, I picked up this new-to-me Norse 290 this fall also. I've not seen any Fransgaard dealers here at all.

Sean

Attachments

• DSC01300.jpg
    DSC01300.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 1,030
   / fransgard 3507 #9  
Congrats on the new winch, I picked up this new-to-me Norse 290 this fall also. I've not seen any Fransgaard dealers here at all.

Sean

Hi Chilly,
How do you like that Norse? I have often wondered how they stand up to the higher priced Farmi, Fransguard ect. in performance.

/ fransgard 3507 #10  
dbail, that's some fine work you have done.