Comparison fransgard 3507

/ fransgard 3507 #11  
Hi Chilly,
How do you like that Norse? I have often wondered how they stand up to the higher priced Farmi, Fransguard ect. in performance.

I've only used it for a couple of trees so far, I'll know more by the end of winter. They're made by Igland, possibly as an export brand? I was looking to get a Farmi, but the 290 is possibly about to be discontinued according to one dealer. I'm trying to avoid buying an "orphan" if possible.

Sean

/ fransgard 3507 #12  
I've had the Fransgard 3507 for a few years and love it. Rarely have to idle up more than 1200 or so. However it is NOT a skidder and proper felling technique is key.
I also think the self release block is a must to keep the tractor on the trail as much as possible.
Nice set up. Good luck. Dan.

/ fransgard 3507 #13  
I agree about the snatch block, Norse says to keep the pulling angle under 35 degrees, with straight back being zero degrees. Most of my roads aren't really wide enough to park the tractor sideways easily, so the block (I built one) will get used a lot.

Sean

/ fransgard 3507 #14  
Hey Chilly - got any pictures of that block? Just curious what a purpose built BIY block would look like ... not that I would crib any ideas ...

/ fransgard 3507 #15  
Hey Chilly - got any pictures of that block? Just curious what a purpose built BIY block would look like ... not that I would crib any ideas ...

I'll get a few tomorrow, I took a couple while I was welding it up to show the welds, but nothing of the finished product.

I was in the Kubota dealership yesterday, they had a couple of Igland snatch blocks, including one of the self releasing ones. They looked interesting until I saw the price, over $300 for the self releasing, and $190 for the plain one. I'll do a lot of walking back and forth before I pay that much!

Sean

/ fransgard 3507 #16  
[QUOTE They looked interesting until I saw the price, over $300 for the self releasing, and $190 for the plain one. I'll do a lot of walking back and forth before I pay that much!

Sean[/QUOTE]

I paid about $280 for mine 3 or 4 years ago and prices had just jumped up then. I work a lot from the top of a ridge and not having to to make that extra trip down and up is a life saver. I have a 10 and 12 year old that help me and it is a BIG help but I never regret what I paid for the block.
Had I priced both I would have been on the fence too but having used it, if I lost it tomorrow, I'd have to get another one.
Dan.

Attachments

• DSCN8288.JPG
    DSCN8288.JPG
    451.8 KB · Views: 440
  • DSCN8279.JPG
    DSCN8279.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 628
   / fransgard 3507 #17  

These are after I used it for the first time today, it worked as well as I would have hoped. The cheeks are 1/4" plate, the sheave is a replacement sheave from Princess Auto ($14.99), and I have 1.25" of spacer blocks between the two cheeks to allow the sheave to run freely. I drilled a grease hole and added a nipple on the end of the axle to be able to grease it occasionally.

The shackle is a 3/4" size.

Sean

Attachments

• 000_0082.JPG
    000_0082.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 292
  • 000_0083.JPG
    000_0083.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 287
  • 000_0085.JPG
    000_0085.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 255
   / fransgard 3507 #18  
Nicely done, Chilly! I like that you made it serviceable with available parts.

/ fransgard 3507 #19  
I've got a Fransgard 4000 and make these blocks to go with it.

Greg

Attachments

• snatch block 013.jpg
    snatch block 013.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 332
  • snatch block 020.jpg
    snatch block 020.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 376