At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #3,811  
weldingisfun said:
Anyone know how to go about getting real 100% gasoline these days?

Can not in my state. All must be 10% ethanol crap except for fuels sold at marianas, airports, and done co-ops.

I run airport gas in some if my stuff like my saw.

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,812  
Can not in my state. All must be 10% ethanol crap except for fuels sold at marianas, airports, and done co-ops.

I run airport gas in some if my stuff like my saw.

Chris
That's a shame. The whole ethanol deal is a complete boondoggle. I'm amazed the American people put up with our politicians making this stuff possible.

I talked to a guy who is a geologist for our state; he said that to get 10 units of energy produced by ethanol, it takes 9 units of energy to create the ethanol (tractor fuel, fertilizer, etc. to grow the corn and distill it). Thus, putting ethanol in gas doesn't help the environment and it costs lots of tax dollars in wasteful government subsidies.

Making ethanol also raises the price of corn and other crops that would otherwise be grown instead of corn and hurts poor people. The only people who gain are the farmers and politicians who get the kickbacks.

Fortunately, we can buy 100% gas from a gas station 2 miles from our house. They have a separate pump just for that purpose.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,813  
My wife took the mower to the repair guy today. There was a soleniod that is wired to the brake and mower seat for safety features that must engage in order to let gas into the carborator. The solenoid was sticking. He unstuck the solenoid and the mower fired up. There was no charge for this visit. We may have an issue with the wiring or have a gummy or bad solenoid. We now know what to look for if this situation re-occurs.

It appears that spraying cleaner into the carborator wouldn't have helped although that was an excellent suggestion. I was hoping the carborator was no longer gummy after the work that was done to it.

I've liked using the new ramps I built with the ramp ends. It's easier to load the mower into the truck bed than onto a trailer. When using the truck bed, in don't need to chain down the mower like I would need to do when using the trailer. Because of the bend in the ramp boards, I don't sit on the mower when loading and unloading. It's easy to maneuver the HST pedal with one hand and steer with the other hand while standing on the ground.

Obed

Attachments

• IMG_2570.JPG
    IMG_2570.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2571.JPG
    IMG_2571.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2573.JPG
    IMG_2573.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 183
   / At Home In The Woods #3,814  
My wife took the mower to the repair guy today. There was a soleniod that is wired to the brake and mower seat for safety features that must engage in order to let gas into the carborator. The solenoid was sticking. He unstuck the solenoid and the mower fired up. There was no charge for this visit. We may have an issue with the wiring or have a gummy or bad solenoid. We now know what to look for if this situation re-occurs.

It appears that spraying cleaner into the carborator wouldn't have helped although that was an excellent suggestion. I was hoping the carborator was no longer gummy after the work that was done to it.

I've liked using the new ramps I built with the ramp ends. It's easier to load the mower into the truck bed than onto a trailer. When using the truck bed, in don't need to chain down the mower like I would need to do when using the trailer. Because of the bend in the ramp boards, I don't sit on the mower when loading and unloading. It's easy to maneuver the HST pedal with one hand and steer with the other hand while standing on the ground.

Obed

NONO, No you misunderstood what i was saying.

I did say maybe you had crud in the carb, spray would not clean that out it only cleans the throat of the carb and the linkages, not the bowl or orface or jet where crud hangs up.

But i suggested the carb cleaner not to "clean" the carb but as a fuel.

See in this case your mower wasent getting fuel (we know this now but didnt a few days ago), using carb cleaner, which an internal combustion engine can run on, you introduce fuel into the system. The reason for this is that if the engine fires you know you have a FEUL related problem adn not spark. The reason is if you did not fire before you had everything needed spark and compression, just not fuel. The carb cleaner will put a fuel or combustable gas into the carb thus completing the 3 things you need to fire off, letting you know that you had not had any fuel to start on.

Am i making sense?

Hard to explain and once you grasp it you will totally understand. U just need to understand engine basics and how they run. Three things you need for internal engine to fire. SPARK, COMPRESSION, and FUEL. You had no fuel so you did not run, my sugestion was to ADD a know GOOD fuel source into your equation.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,815  
I could be wrong, but doesn't the disconnect on the seat prevent spark, not fuel? Either way I am surprised that the starter would even turn with that safety feature not functioning. Glad you got it taken care of with minimum hassle.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,816  
   / At Home In The Woods
#3,817  
Tororider said:
I could be wrong, but doesn't the disconnect on the seat prevent spark, not fuel? Either way I am surprised that the starter would even turn with that safety feature not functioning. Glad you got it taken care of with minimum hassle.
According to the repair guy, the solenoid prevents fuel. He said the solenoid is controlled by the brake and seat sensors. It may be most likely that the solenoid is weak from age.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,818  
The place sure is looking nice in the photos......Spring is coming pretty soon, and lime needs some time to work :) Tony

/ At Home In The Woods #3,819  
According to the repair guy, the solenoid prevents fuel. He said the solenoid is controlled by the brake and seat sensors. It may be most likely that the solenoid is weak from age.
Obed

If you have a "saftey" type device attached to the seat, how are you running the lawnmower on and off the truck ramps standing beside it? I would think that this would cause the mower to cut off once you get off and put it in gear?

The two mowers i have either have no devices or they have been disabled.

One mower is probly from late 70s or early 80s and its one safty device on the blade is cut. The other is a MTD that i got from a coworker for the engine to go on an older one, turned out not to work and it was in way better shape so i cut all the wires or either he did i think to get it to run, it had some melted wires and grimlins he said. This mower i cleaned the carb of crud and new filter and it fired up. I use this mower to mow roughly 3 acres several times a year, just have to jump it off and choke it down as there is no key switch anymore

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,820  
clemsonfor said:
If you have a "saftey" type device attached to the seat, how are you running the lawnmower on and off the truck ramps standing beside it? I would think that this would cause the mower to cut off once you get off and put it in gear?
clemsonfor,
I put a heavy rock on the seat so the mower would run.
Obed