Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
In the winter, I have a hard time keeping the Goldfinches in Thistle seed. I use the hanging "socks" and sometimes there will be over 10 on one and a line waiting at the counter:laughing:

Beautiful day today, tomorrow is supposed to be better, into the 70's:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #572  
Not promoting any companies but we got 5 bags of seed at TSC in the fall.
It was 15.99 for 50 pd bag and called Royal Wing Classic. It is a house brand that has White Millet, Milo, Wheat, cracked corn, and black oil sunflower seeds.
Ron

What I bought was the orange bag of Royal Wing Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. If the price is the same the next time I buy, I may just have to go to the mix.

Bird: I just noticed that my bag was 40 lb instead of 50 lb, so that makes my deal not quite so good compared to Walmart's smaller bags.:rolleyes:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #573  
What I bought was the orange bag of Royal Wing Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. If the price is the same the next time I buy, I may just have to go to the mix.

Bird: I just noticed that my bag was 40 lb instead of 50 lb, so that makes my deal not quite so good compared to Walmart's smaller bags.:rolleyes:

Jim,
Have you ever tried raising sunflowers for the birds?
They grow well up here but after letting them dry on the stalks till they began to fall off and the birds were eating them, we about wore our thumbs out getting the seeds off to store in the garage. After all that work they molded anyway, so we have purchased them by the bag ever since.
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #574  
The heavens beauty at chore time this morning made it great to be alive.
Snow is all gone now and will be in high 50's tommorrow.
This weather sure has been slowing my satellite internet to a crawl tho.
Anybody else with that problem?
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #575  
Jim,
Have you ever tried raising sunflowers for the birds?
They grow well up here but after letting them dry on the stalks till they began to fall off and the birds were eating them, we about wore our thumbs out getting the seeds off to store in the garage. After all that work they molded anyway, so we have purchased them by the bag ever since.
Ron

Ron, I have not tried to grow sunflowers because I think the critters would just get them. I had one plant come up volunteer and had a huge bloom. I was getting really anxious to see how it would turn out when the bloom and plant was suddenly ripped down and shredded. I had both deer and 'coon tracks around the plant, so I don't know which was first. After my entire corn crop was wiped out in one night, I decided I would not grow anymore crops to just feed 'coons.:mad: Actually, as much as I complain, I don't mind buying a bag of sunflower seeds every couple of months. My biggest feeder will last 5 days or more without refilling. We always have beautiful birds at our feeders and our grandson is thrilled to see them. He's never lived anywhere with so many critters.:)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #576  
I can remember when I was a kid on the farm, wild sunflowers were a hated nuisance just like Johnson Grass in the garden.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #577  
Ron, I have not tried to grow sunflowers because I think the critters would just get them. I had one plant come up volunteer and had a huge bloom. I was getting really anxious to see how it would turn out when the bloom and plant was suddenly ripped down and shredded. I had both deer and 'coon tracks around the plant, so I don't know which was first. After my entire corn crop was wiped out in one night, I decided I would not grow anymore crops to just feed 'coons.:mad: Actually, as much as I complain, I don't mind buying a bag of sunflower seeds every couple of months. My biggest feeder will last 5 days or more without refilling. We always have beautiful birds at our feeders and our grandson is thrilled to see them. He's never lived anywhere with so many critters.:)

Jim,
I hope the corn wipeout was before you put the 8' mesh fence around your garden. We purchased 8' metal T-stakes and hundreds of feet of the mesh for this springs garden. You might save a few black oil sunflower seeds from the bag you purchased to plant. Lots of info on the net, how to.
We had an ambitious coon that got caught in the trap last year roll and move the trap over 100 feet to the woods. He would have gone further if he hadn't
gotten the trap wedged against a downed tree. Made a mess of the trap, bending parts and losing the handle. After I fixed it we chained it to a fence post with a dog chain. No coons in the garden since, but I'm sure they are watching.
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #578  
Get the breast of 20+ and you can throw together a great meal. Best way I have had them is , piece of cheese with Jalapeño then wrapped with bacon and thrown on the grill.

FWIW, for lack of a name, I gave them one. I've been calling these "Peppitos" for about 30 years, ....Unless someone else knows what they have been called longer than that.:cool:

If you have the time, place them on a piece of foil off to the side and "smoke 'em" until they are cooked. Prime eating!

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #579  
I buy these at Brooshires Grocery store all the time from the Meat department. There is about a dozen variations of them and when they are on sale, you can get them for $2 each!!!!!

Eddie

That's a deal at $2. Pretty dang good with a cold Lone Star!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #580  
Got rain yesterday morning in the valley. :cool: Just enough to make a mess on the car. :( Need to wash the car today. Later in the day everything was back to dust. :smiley_aafz: